The moment I've been dreading--Blondie is molting and it's NOT GOOD!

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Update

She is fine this morning. Her molt measured 8". She had been in her hide for about a week or two, which is unusual for her, she is usually out and about. She came out of her hide two days ago and went to the moist side and didn't move around much. Yesterday she stayed in one spot which is what got me worried, I offered her an orange head and she didn't move at all. That was when I lifted her up to see if she was ok. Basically, I was looking to see if there was any mold or fungus on the bottom of her abdomin because she was on the moist side and not moving. What through me off was that when I got her, only a couple or few months ago, she was really skinny, so I assumed she was fresh from a molt, so I was not expecting a molt. Also, she was very active less then two weeks ago, I would think that a spider this size would have a longer period of inactivity prior to a molt.

I think a little human intervention is ok. With a smaller spider, I might consider flipping over, if I found it starting to molt upright. Then again curiousity might just allow me to keep it as is. But this girl is huge and heavy, it would not have been smart of me to attempt to flip it. Besides she was already too far into the molting process by the time I found her. I did carefully slide the water dish out from under her however. That did not seem to disturb her, I was slow and careful.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, Jodi, I just read this thread. I was glad to read a happy ending for a change! Thanks!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Hi Jodi,
I'm so glad to hear that everything went well! I swear, it is so nerveracking to see a T. blondi moult, and then to have it moult upright on top of it. Hopefully you can post some pics of the big girl soon.:)
Cheers,
Laura

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here she is...

I'm not good with a digital camera. I hope these look ok. She turned to the side just slightly to finish getting her legs out. Then she uprighted herself again.

Attachments

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I should come on here more often - shucks. I was going to tell you not to totally worry. An adult female of mine molted last September in the upright position and she came out just fine. She was, and still is a beast. I'm glad to hear that you finally got a blondi though.

The Sickness

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
There's a lot of supporting information showing molts from the wrong position are a major cause of molt failure in many types of invertebrates. It doesn't mean an upsidedown molt will always fail. There's not a lot of data on upright T molt failure. How many upright molts are you basing your assumption on? I agree you certainly don't want to 'jerk' a tarantula.
Well then.
(Might get back to that later)

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first Blondi molt is a bitch isnt it ;) You should have seen me when one of my Apophysis molted for the first time - I was pacing around like an expectant father - Didnt get much sleep that night :8o

Well done - Now get some more. I'm up to 5 Blondi's and 3 Apophysis, all adult, and it's still not enough :)

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently lost a sub-adult male Cyrio 'blue' :(:( he died during the molt, he molted upright but i dont belive thats what killed him.
Glad your T blondi is ok, Theraphosa is the best family, cept for their notorious bad molts... though none of mine have had a bad molt...yet... touch wood, *chucks a salt shaker over left shouolder* and holds breath :8o