The Worst T

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OOOOO! Makes me want to check them out now!! LOL.

Yeah, the rehousing was exciting but once she's settled in, show's over. I'd call her a pet hole but since the hole is hidden it's more like a pet jar of dirt. Still a cool lil critter though. They're only available as WC unfortunately. I made an exception this time but usually i disapprove.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, the rehousing was exciting but once she's settled in, show's over. I'd call her a pet hole but since the hole is hidden it's more like a pet jar of dirt. Still a cool lil critter though. They're only available as WC unfortunately. I made an exception this time but usually i disapprove.
There is a place here in Mesa that sells "pet jars of dirt". Perhaps not the same as the one you have, but still a "trapdoor spider". I'm really going to check them out! That way if my wife says, "Did you get another T?" I can say, "No, its just a jar of dirt! Look!" LOL. {D

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
The most defensive tarantulas I've had over the years have been Heteroscodra maculata and Lasiodora difficilis. Though with H. maculata they were only defensive when disturbed as in packing or cage transfers, while the L. difficilis were mental as soon as the lids were opened.

I also consider hair kicking to be a defensive behaviour, and the worst offenders have been Theraphosa blondi, Brachypelma smithi and B. boehmei.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is a draw for me. do you mean hard as in which has the worst temperament/hair or which has more crucial needs?

i think the worst was my T blondi i hated those hairs. then again, im not too fond of H gigas slings. they need so much moisture.. i've had a few gigas die on me because i know they are baboons, and usually baboons don't need much moisture but gigas are the exception. i forgot to water them, and when i remembered "oh yeah they are gigas so they need more water than other baboons" it was already too late. you don't have that problem with obts or chordatus, or the horned baboons.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My worst was my L parahybana... who has since been eaten by his mate. I HATED doing anything with his cage because 1) he was really, really fast for such a large tarantula and the escapism was strong in him and 2) he was a hair flicker like no other T I've seen. He had the cutest bald little bottom. :razz:

He also LOVED chewing on his cage, being a mature male and all; and I dreaded the thought of one day waking up to him on my pillow with me. Haha, he never actually got through anywhere... he ended up breaking one of his fangs off. But I'd be sitting there alone and hear this strange noise, like someone messing with the screen on my window or something. No, it was just Xeno chewing on his top.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I just recently acquired my first H. lividum and I actually just witnessed it literally leaping off the ground to about a 4" height off the ground to grab an adult male B. dubia from my (luckily) 12" tweezers. I may have to use my 24" hemostats for feeding her in the future LOL.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
typical defensive behaviours, sans hair-kicking don't bother me

but hair kicking.... ye gods!

i am getting rid of my penultimate male B. smithi cuz i can NOT bear the urts anymore! it is an act of will to not scratch myself bloody when i get haired badly. i much MUCH prefer the pain of flaming the hairs off of my skin to actually having them embed.

that being said... i semi-recently rehoused an H. lividum and got to see the good ol' multistrike (a series of more than one strikes done consecutively) again. this is still the only species that i have seen multistrike... and i have seen it in multiple individuals :D sexy AND an attitude... dig it! (that's a fossorial joke, see?)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is a draw for me. do you mean hard as in which has the worst temperament/hair or which has more crucial needs?

i think the worst was my T blondi i hated those hairs. then again, im not too fond of H gigas slings. they need so much moisture.. i've had a few gigas die on me because i know they are baboons, and usually baboons don't need much moisture but gigas are the exception. i forgot to water them, and when i remembered "oh yeah they are gigas so they need more water than other baboons" it was already too late. you don't have that problem with obts or chordatus, or the horned baboons.
The worst defensive/aggressive T you have owned.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I would have to say my Brazilian White Knee. Excuse me for not having the species name right off bat, but still, she is unreal.

Have had her since she was a sling, and she is now 5". I was pouring water in her little cup the other day, and she ATTACKED it, and PICKED IT up w/ her fangs, and was mauling it w/ her fangs....she kept doing this until she realized it WAS not food, and her water dish.

IT freaked me out....but kept in me check of their raw, awesome power and quickness. She will also attack the sides of the KK. She will stick her fangs through the slits in the the KK.

She actually scares me. The only one to raise my HR. And, I am hand feeding a blondi right now. I could sleep during that....

But that Brazilian White Knee....she scares the beegeebeezzz out of me :eek:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I just recently acquired my first H. lividum and I actually just witnessed it literally leaping off the ground to about a 4" height off the ground to grab an adult male B. dubia from my (luckily) 12" tweezers. I may have to use my 24" hemostats for feeding her in the future LOL.

This is good to know....as I thought they couldn't leap or jump at all. I have one of these that sits too still for my own comfort....I like her better when she stays in her toilet paper roll....