This pseudoscorpion was on this beatle and somehow ended up on my shirt

Wolventiger

Arachnopeon
IMG_20240504_134920101.jpg
This Little bugger was not letting go. I'll release the Scorpion once it's finished the meal. I placed it in a jar with loose in papertowels. Such a good clear picture if you are able to zoom in.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It's like one of those mouse on cat on dog performers, you guys could be rich 🤣

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I love pseudos. I used to be deathly afraid of scorps (just the ones I would find in my house, bark scorpions usually, but I'm getting better). Having a pseudo in my life would've been a game changer.

I did have a tailless whip show up, was so relieved to see it after my cat had been obsessing over my laundry bin for the previous hour. Someone somewhere taught him a valuable lesson so he kept his distance thankfully. Just a catch and release because they are seldom sadly, but I don't think I could not keep a pseudo 🤣

Wolventiger

Arachnopeon
I love pseudos. I used to be deathly afraid of scorps (just the ones I would find in my house, bark scorpions usually, but I'm getting better). Having a pseudo in my life would've been a game changer.

I did have a tailless whip show up, was so relieved to see it after my cat had been obsessing over my laundry bin for the previous hour. Someone somewhere taught him a valuable lesson so he kept his distance thankfully. Just a catch and release because they are seldom sadly, but I don't think I could not keep a pseudo 🤣
I don't even think I know how to feed it. it's still in the battle with the beetle. I'm glad it ended up on me cuz it was my first time ever knowing such things existed. So cool watching the battle but idk who'll win

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Do you have a cricket leg you could offer it? I didn't realize the beetle was still alive

Wolventiger

Arachnopeon
Do you have a cricket leg you could offer it? I didn't realize the beetle was still alive
Yeah it's been about maybe 14 hours since I captured it. Was about to kill it before I did research but I always do research if I don't know anything. I checked on in a little bit ago and not as mobile but a little bug versus a big beetle I guess it takes a while

I wonder how they came to Illinois cuz it only says Yosemite

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Yeah, it's probably hitchiking and not trying to kill the beetle. I have heard of pseudoscorpions killing larger animals with the venom in their pedipalps though.
Seems like a Cheliferidae spp. to me; I believe they readily scavenge so you could try a cricket leg or mealworm segment. They're pretty small and would rather not pass up a good meal haha.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The amazing thing is, pseudoscorpions are actually known for this. It's been documented several times, they use it as a way to reach new habitats.

It's called "phoresy" edit: thanks to @Wolfram1 for pointing this out first lol

Last edited by a moderator: