Trying my hand at a Bioactive Planted enclosure

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
For the first time I'm finally doing the the thing. I used activated charcoal chips for the drainage layer and did not apply mesh on top in fear that the t would only tear it up when it dug. I added a bunch of reptisoil mixed with creatures mix as well as eco earth for substrate. There is currently about 4 inches of dirt. Then I mixed in sphagnum moss in with the dirt. I added a bunch of springtails. I then planted the plants in the areas I wanted them. There are 3 in there and none of them require a lot of light negating the use of a grow light. I then staged some decor (still waiting on hide to be delivered). I added green terrarium moss around the decor for color. Last but not least leaf litter which is a mix of oak and magnolia leaves. Note that a T. stirmi will eventually be getting housed into it. It's not ready for the enclosure yet as the specimen is still way too small. However I wanted to get a head start on the enclosure as a test run and also make sure to give enough time for the plants to take root. Thoughts?

Attachments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Is there room for me in there too???

Excited to see the plants turn it into a jungle.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Right?? I absolutely love the way it smells too
I haven't found the word for that yet, the closest is "petichor," the musty smell of the air after a rain (naturally I named one of my Ts that)

You should get some isopods; their enclosure will smell the same and you won't get a face full of stirmi hairs 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
I haven't found the word for that yet, the closest is "petichor," the musty smell of the air after a rain (naturally I named one of my Ts that)

You should get some isopods; their enclosure will smell the same and you won't get a face full of stirmi hairs 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I actually think I want to add one or two more plants. Maybe one in the corner by the water dish and one on the other side of the mopani wood. Not sure yet though. I wanna wait to see when the hide comes

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don’t know how well the T will enjoy the moss- good luck, let it cycle for a few months

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Well done! Stirmis need a bit moisture but a dry hide... it will decorate this enclosre how it wants to! Please send updates, this is really exciting. I had plants in a Theraphosa enclosure years ago... killed again and again by the spider.

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
Do they live on grass?
Is there grass outside in the wild?

Theraphosas come from deep rainforests in South America which happens to be heavily grassy and mossy. Moss always grows in very moist environments. So being that the idea is to replicate its natural environment, I'm sure the moss is just fine otherwise it'll redecorate as it wants and dig it up as stated by others

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Theraphosas come from deep rainforests in South America which happens to be heavily grassy and mossy. Moss always grows in very moist environments. So being that the idea is to replicate its natural environment, I'm sure the moss is just fine otherwise it'll redecorate as it wants and dig it up as stated by others
I’ve been to a few deep rainforests in the middle of the continent- I can guarantee you in the ones I lived in for a few weeks there is not a single carpet of moss other than what you find on dead trees.

As for the rainforest floor, it was not heavily grassy at all- QUITE THE OPPOSITE. For two primary reasons I believe

1. There’s not a lot of light under the canopy- it’s fairly dim.
2. Due to all the trees, the ground floor is COVERED in multiple layers of leaves most larger than a human face.

I DID see grass in grass fields where there was no canopy. I would rethink your setup and research where they live specifically.

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
I’ve been to a few deep rainforests in the middle of the continent- I can guarantee you in the ones I lived in for a few weeks there is not a single carpet of moss other than what you find on dead trees.

As for the rainforest floor, it was not heavily grassy at all- QUITE THE OPPOSITE. For two primary reasons I believe

1. There’s not a lot of light under the canopy
2. Due to all the trees, the ground floor is COVERED in multiple layers of leaves most larger than a human face.

I DID see grass in grass fields where there was no canopy. I would rethink your setup and research where they live specifically.
Of course you of all people would find something wrong with it as you do with everything I post 🎯 interestingly enough, of everywhere I posted photos of my setup, you have been the only one with some kind of negative input because for some reason you constantly target me

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Of course you of all people would find something wrong with it as you do with everything I post 🎯 interestingly enough, of everywhere I posted photos of my setup, you have been the only one with some kind of negative input because for some reason you constantly target me
I don’t target anyone— so that’s a bunch of crap

Just me on ignore.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
He is totally right!
Grass vs. Weight and Anatomy of a Tarantula; it does not work!

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
He is totally right!
Grass vs. Weight and Anatomy of a Tarantula; it does not work!
Well now you're contradicting what you said above. If moss is so bad then why do SO many keepers add it to their enclosure? Moss helps with moisture and humidity. And why would I have to redo my whole setup because of some moss. This debate makes no sense

Not in all environments 🤣
You're right. Not in arid environments and deserts where there is little to no moisture

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Well now you're contradicting what you said above. If moss is so bad then why do SO many keepers add it to their enclosure? Moss helps with moisture and humidity. And why would I have to redo my whole setup because of some moss. This debate makes no sense
Nope. I still like the design of your enclosure but I wrote the stirmi will kill the plants... But I´m ready to learn, that´s why I wrote "please send updates".

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
Nope. I still like the design of your enclosure but I wrote the stirmi will kill the plants... But I´m ready to learn, that´s why I wrote "please send updates".
But I´m not here to fight...
Neither am I. Why do people on here assume I wanna argue and fight. I think it's silly that viper wants to come at me about moss and is trying to say that because I added moss I need to redo my whole setup and research where Theraphosas come from. Moss is used all the time by many keepers and they even mix it in the substrate. It helps hold moisture and maintain humidity. But now suddenly I'm wrong for adding moss? Makes no sense