Two new tarantula Species described!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Hi Volker and Martin,
Just a quick question, is O. andersoni a smaller species than O. aureotibialis? Is this the species where they are mature around 3ish inches?
Cheers,
Laura

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

the Holotypespecimen from Ornithoctonus andersoni has a Carapax length of 25,39cm. The described Paratype female from Ornithoctonus aureotibialis has a Carapax length of 25,42cm. This means, that both Species have probably round about the same bodylength.

With best regards, Volker

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
Hi,

the Holotypespecimen from Ornithoctonus andersoni has a Carapax length of 25,39cm. The described Paratype female from Ornithoctonus aureotibialis has a Carapax length of 25,42cm. This means, that both Species have probably round about the same bodylength.

With best regards, Volker
Big spiders then
:D

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Big spiders then
:D
{D Yes, monstrous even! :eek: That same spider would have a legspan in excess of one meter.

For those who don't get the "joke", Volker obviously meant mm, not cm. In other words, using the idiotic American system, a carapace length of approximately one inch. Leg I length in the O. aureotibialis paratype is 65.3 mm, or approximately 2.5 inches.

Cheers, Michael

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Michael Jacobi said:
{D Yes, monstrous even! :eek: That same spider would have a legspan in excess of one meter.

For those who don't get the "joke", Volker obviously meant mm, not cm. In other words, using the idiotic American system, a carapace length of approximately one inch. Leg I length in the O. aureotibialis paratype is 65.3 mm, or approximately 2.5 inches.

Cheers, Michael
Hi Lelle and Michael,

OOOOOPPPPPSSSS!:eek: :eek: Of course I've meant mm!{D
But, how large - in mm - is 3''?

@Laura:
I don't know the Species from Koh Samui from the Thread you've mentioned above. I only possess Material from Koh Samui, which looks identical to Ornithoctonus aureotibialis (with a distinct orange hairfringe on the outside of the Frontlegs) but which is much smaller than this Species (only the half bodylength of O. aureotibialis). The Species on the picture doesn't obviously possess any orange hairs on the legs. The Specimen reminds me on the so called "Haplopelma aureopilosum" Surat Thani/Phang Nga. They doesn't have also any orange hairs on the legs, but they are really large (even a bit largen than O. aureotibialis). Does anybody know the name of that Person with the Koh Samui Material?

Cheers, Volker

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
Hi Lelle and Michael,

OOOOOPPPPPSSSS!:eek: :eek: Of course I've meant mm!{D
But, how large - in mm - is 3''?
Tip of the day:
use google to convert measurments
Just type 3 inch to mm in the search field and the result will show:

3 inch = 76.2 millimeters

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can someone describe the differences between subspecies? I'm talking Haplopelma minax (group) and Haplopelma schmidti (group). I'm fairly new to the tarantula world 1 1/2 years and am just getting into the realm of being able to notice slight differences. It would be alot easier to hazard a guess at what species of "Thai Zebra" or "Thai Stripe Knee" a pet store is trying to sell with this knowledge. An immature H. lividum is easy enough to notice however I've seen some heated discussions to what the rest are.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This discussion has been very interesting for me too. MizM, I think I have the very same tarantula as yours, at least by photographs, mine looks the same. Have not been able to truely identify her. I showed a molt from her to Tom from Eight Legs Plus and even with just the molt he couldn't give a definite answer so I probably should take her to him personally. She heavily webs her whole tank, but spends a lot of time sitting outside her burrow. She lays an infertile egg sack once a yr. she was sold to me as a H. lividum, but I knew very well she wasn't one. Thought she was some type of Haplopelma or
Chilobrachy. She has a "leathery" like carapace.

Sharon

Last edited:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

looks to me like a Chilobrachys, most probably Chilobrachys dyscolus.
The main difference between the two Species-groups in Haplopelma is, that the Hapl. schmidti-Group possess a fringe of whitish hairs above the cheliceral scopula in contrast to the Hapl. minax-Group!

Cheers, Volker