UGH.. lets start the grieving process again... this time a G. pulchripes.. :(

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
im going to agree it was a poor way to go, as well as a poor choice to use a lamp, that was probably using a normal bulb and way too close.. win some you loose some, we all learn...

however as for heat being lethal outside to us, your silly, i hate the cold, its not uncommon for it to be in the 90s+ with 80%+humidity in the summer in my town, and even tho im a huge guy, 350lb[~160kg], even with a big pack on my back i need nothing more then a gallon of water that day, maybe a little more if we are in a area no shaded areas and i just got [or need] a haircut.. i go out trekking alone, with friends even playfully roughhousing and whatnot [were all kids at heart] and not one of us have succumbed to heat stroke or anything serious.. because we know what were doing in the heat, where not idiots.. however. a sling in a cup with 130deg+ temps [maybe more depending what wattage he used] with nowhere to hide from the heat.. its a death sentence

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To each their own. I'll take the cold over the heat any day.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Come live in Florida, the heat is literally lethal here. This might sound silly, but I try to stay indoors as much as possible from April til pretty much mid October. It literally doesn't cool down at all here until late October early November. Why anyone would WANT to willingly go outside for more than an hour is beyond me.

I was in Orlando, Florida, in the summer (July) of 1990. You know, Epcot Center, DisneyStuff and those things :)

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 10:51 AM ----------

im going to agree it was a poor way to go, as well as a poor choice to use a lamp, that was probably using a normal bulb and way too close.. win some you loose some, we all learn...

however as for heat being lethal outside to us, your silly, i hate the cold, its not uncommon for it to be in the 90s+ with 80%+humidity in the summer in my town, and even tho im a huge guy, 350lb[~160kg], even with a big pack on my back i need nothing more then a gallon of water that day, maybe a little more if we are in a area no shaded areas and i just got [or need] a haircut.. i go out trekking alone, with friends even playfully roughhousing and whatnot [were all kids at heart] and not one of us have succumbed to heat stroke or anything serious.. because we know what were doing in the heat, where not idiots.. however. a sling in a cup with 130deg+ temps [maybe more depending what wattage he used] with nowhere to hide from the heat.. its a death sentence
-- Not talking about T's, now --

I can stand cold and hot temperatures (here we had even 35° night!! in July) very well. But i highly dislike artificial cold (conditioned air) and artificial hot (radiators etc). I love tradition, wood and fire.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
-- Not talking about T's, now --

I can stand cold and hot temperatures (here we had even 35° night!! in July) very well. But i highly dislike artificial cold (conditioned air) and artificial hot (radiators etc). I love tradition, wood and fire.
I understand thatone as artificial heat and air suck out humidity.. In the summer i have a space heater at 80 and few fish tanks open. I may get a lil hot some days andneedafan(humidity may be 20-40 some of those days) but when its normal weather my fan dont get put near me untill index is intge tripple didgets. Wet heat can kill ya but dry heat is a pain xD

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight

Actually it wasn't a "normal bulb" nor was the lamp "way too close" We have all our animals except our leopard gecko in 1 corner of the livingroom (we only have a 1 br apartment until we move into our house) The lamp that was used is mainly used for our tokay gecko. It's a red bulb night/heat. It's hung on the wall and generally stays put. Yes accidents do happen and I (his gf) have fixed it from being able to fall. Regardless of the situation, yes it was a lesson learned. Are we going to stop using that lamp, of course not. His pulchripes would have been just fine if the lamp hadn't slid down on top of its container. I think we got the point on almost everyone's views over heat lamps and heating pads.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Actually it wasn't a "normal bulb" nor was the lamp "way too close" We have all our animals except our leopard gecko in 1 corner of the livingroom (we only have a 1 br apartment until we move into our house) The lamp that was used is mainly used for our tokay gecko. It's a red bulb night/heat. It's hung on the wall and generally stays put. Yes accidents do happen and I (his gf) have fixed it from being able to fall. Regardless of the situation, yes it was a lesson learned. Are we going to stop using that lamp, of course not. His pulchripes would have been just fine if the lamp hadn't slid down on top of its container. I think we got the point on almost everyone's views over heat lamps and heating pads.
uhm bud.. a red "night bulb" is a normal light bulb.. its puts out the same amount of heat as a normal red non-cfl bulb with a bumped up price[they are like $1 for red or black lights at wm puting same heat as a $7 light at petco].. non normal bulb would be a cfl[corkscrew like one], halogen light, or a che-ceramic heat emmiter.. i know cfl and che dont suck up moisture[cfl puts out no heat] like a normal bulb...

now, i didnt read where it said it slipped, because, as said was just too much to read about ones personal day, however i understand that it was a last minute thing, and im sure you didnt have a space heater available thus why it was used.. so i understand.. being a keeper of herps too i know sometimes you just gota make things work at the last minute, but those domes arnt well at staying put, iv find that out the hard way, hang them by the cord, they fall/wires break after a wiel, use the clamp, a "flea will fart" and it will randomly fall, it never fails even the "stands" arnt effective imo, best use for a lamp is with a che [emmits no light] sat ontop of the herp cages mesh

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Bad news.... The heat lamp had fallen in the night and landed in my new additions enclosure.... Once again I'm here at the cross roads where I am unsure I'm cut out for the hobby. I have never had this bad of luck in my life.
You could consider that the tarantula saved you. Those lamps can get quite warm and a fallen one is a real fire hazard (my cousin set one on the floor once and burned a hole in the carpet). Of everywhere it could have fallen and potentially set you ablaze in the night, it instead fell on the sturdy keeper and kept you safe while you slept.

However, my heart hurts for you, sorry to hear your lost your new baby. Don't let this discourage you from the hobby though. It was a fluke, an accident, nothing more. These thing happen.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
uhm bud.. a red "night bulb" is a normal light bulb.. its puts out the same amount of heat as a normal red non-cfl bulb with a bumped up price[they are like $1 for red or black lights at wm puting same heat as a $7 light at petco].. non normal bulb would be a cfl[corkscrew like one], halogen light, or a che-ceramic heat emmiter.. i know cfl and che dont suck up moisture[cfl puts out no heat] like a normal bulb...

now, i didnt read where it said it slipped, because, as said was just too much to read about ones personal day, however i understand that it was a last minute thing, and im sure you didnt have a space heater available thus why it was used.. so i understand.. being a keeper of herps too i know sometimes you just gota make things work at the last minute, but those domes arnt well at staying put, iv find that out the hard way, hang them by the cord, they fall/wires break after a wiel, use the clamp, a "flea will fart" and it will randomly fall, it never fails even the "stands" arnt effective imo, best use for a lamp is with a che [emmits no light] sat ontop of the herp cages mesh
G. pulchripes sling about 3/4 of an inch or so.
Its enclosure, a small jello shot cup with good ventilation. (not big enough for a tank so no mesh top)
As stated before the lamp is mostly for our tokay gecko, it was a really cold morning so moved the T under and to the side of the lamp. Heat lamp fell in the night and landed on top of the enclosure.
It had died from the heat.

There the "personal life" aspect is gone. I'm sorry everyone, to have shared (what to me was) a traumatic event after a few good days and a night of discomfort from "post trauma paranoia" from now on I'll just sit in the corner and keep my mouth shut like 90% of the members on this site afraid to ask there questions that could mean life or death for their animals, because everyone just criticizes and looks down upon other members. Yes there are few members that I have found that truly care enough to offer advice instead of "yelling" or stating everything they did was "wrong". And stating that every mistake is a "learning experience" doesn't help the fact that no matter what I do (or anyone that loses a T) can bring back the life that was taken.

I've read post after post of newcomers to this site asking a simple question, telling about the loss of a T, or showing off there new "addition" only to be turned on by the people they thought they could find help and comfort in in every way."this is wrong", "that's wrong", "you cant use that", "your using coco-sphagnum!!! are you insane!!! coco-peatis 1000X better"... when simple advice or a detailed list could help better than "heat lamps are bad" 17 times. I've seen this behavior in the real world to the point that the person asking the question was discouraged so much they gave up all their inverts and dreams, leaving nothing but a broken husk of a former invert lover.

Pyro fiend I'm not saying anything about you or singling you out. But after about the 15th (exaggeration) person saying "heat lamps are bad" the repetitiveness of the message soon became angering. One, or two people would have been sufficient for me to see the error in heat bulbs IF the first or second person saying it would have explained to why "normal bulb" heat lamps are bad, or given any advice (like you did).

I have wanted to ask so many questions over the past year I have had inverts but to be honest I kept to myself and did independent research only leading to more questions in most cases, because I'm tired of the negative responses I have received, and I have read on others posts.

If you haven't noticed I take a lot to heart and am a sensitive person but that doesn't mean I care any less for my inverts as any of you do. I may not have 20+ years exp, or a Masters/Doctorate in Archnology or Invert Biology or anything like that, but I do care for my animals just as any of you do.

Not that any of you care (PERSONAL LIFE ACTIVITY AHEAD) I'm going to sleep I'm tired and have been in a bad mood sense my T died.

Goodnight.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its enclosure, a small jello shot cup with good ventilation. (not big enough for a tank so no mesh top)
As stated before the lamp is mostly for our tokay gecko, it was a really cold morning so moved the T under and to the side of the lamp. Heat lamp fell in the night and landed on top of the enclosure.

There the "personal life" aspect is gone. I'm sorry everyone, to have shared (what to me was) a traumatic event after a few good days and a night of discomfort from "post trauma paranoia" from now on I'll just sit in the corner and keep my mouth shut like 90% of the members on this site afraid to ask there questions that could mean life or death for their animals, because everyone just criticizes and looks down upon other members. Yes there are few members that I have found that truly care enough to offer advice instead of "yelling" or stating everything they did was "wrong". And stating that every mistake is a "learning experience" doesn't help the fact that no matter what I do (or anyone that loses a T) can bring back the life that was taken.

I've read post after post of newcomers to this site asking a simple question, telling about the loss of a T, or showing off there new "addition" only to be turned on by the people they thought they could find help and comfort in in every way."this is wrong", "that's wrong", "you cant use that", "your using coco-sphagnum!!! are you insane!!! coco-peatis 1000X better"... when simple advice or a detailed list could help better than "heat lamps are bad" 17 times. I've seen this behavior in the real world to the point that the person asking the question was discouraged so much they gave up all their inverts and dreams, leaving nothing but a broken husk of a former invert lover.

Pyro fiend I'm not saying anything about you or singling you out. But after about the 15th (exaggeration) person saying "heat lamps are bad" the repetitiveness of the message soon became angering. One, or two people would have been sufficient for me to see the error in heat bulbs IF the first or second person saying it would have explained to why "normal bulb" heat lamps are bad, or given any advice (like you did).

I have wanted to ask so many questions over the past year I have had inverts but to be honest I kept to myself and did independent research only leading to more questions in most cases, because I'm tired of the negative responses I have received, and I have read on others posts.

If you haven't noticed I take a lot to heart and am a sensitive person but that doesn't mean I care any less for my inverts as any of you do. I may not have 20+ years exp, or a Masters/Doctorate in Archnology or Invert Biology or anything like that, but I do care for my animals just as any of you do.

Not that any of you care (PERSONAL LIFE ACTIVITY AHEAD) I'm going to sleep I'm tired and have been in a bad mood sense my T died.

Goodnight.
You come on a public forum asking for advice, and when the advice you're given isn't what you want to hear, you throw some kind of a temper tantrum? We ALL care about our tarantulas, not just you. So basically only one or two people are allowed to respond with the same answer? Like I said before this is a public forum. The source of your problems was obviously your heat lamp (that you still insist on using), people are just telling you the truth. What do you want us to do? Lie to you and say that you did everything correctly? How about just accepting responsibility for your mistakes and move on? You're acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince

Goodnight.
woow for a trollish name you rear up pretty well.. ill give you, i could have said it a bit better, but i figured its better then saying being an actual bleep-hole and saying you shouldnt be doing that, if you cant care for an animal properly blahblahblah, but i dont see it that way.. it was a simple error, and you learned [weather your willing to admit it or not, because you most likely will not set it the exact same way you did before] but if you wana try and be a smartelic.. at least give proper size a jigger [shot] is tech 1.5oz but "jello shot cups" range, down to 1oz , the 2oz i use. and even seen 4oz advertised as those... now im done trolling and back to the real talk.......

now i know losing a T is hard iv lost 3 fm psalms in the last few months. and it gutted me a day or two.. infact 2 was in the same enclosure[not same time] due to my guess of room being way to dry [had to turn on heater a few times last few weeks] but i stand by what i said, you do win some you loose some, because within the time frame of the last 2 losses, a male irminia hooked out, right beside the fems cage, only difference, i wasnt afraid to get his cage moldy because he was almost mature and wont be in there long.. so he was a little more moist.. but weeks later his fm neighbor was stick in a molt..so i may have lost 2 fms but i learned my lesson, so in otherwords i "won some"....now as much as i usualy avoid bob, [as u seen i kinda called him crazy for saying fl heats deadly] he has a point.. you came here with a sob story of using a lamp that dries out the air and was not set on a timer.. and lost a T.. you should have seen some things coming...

and i understand your mad, and not singling me out.. but yes hearing the same thing sucks, which is why i didnt preach the "get a space heater" line everyone elese was spitting.. however i mentioned the tank lids being only good place for brooder lamps, because your a herp keeper, so i was letting you know MY oppinion [because you already knew we dont encourage them in inverts]... because iv had so many fall apart from wire hanging and many more fall to the ground for no reason, one actualy burning a lizard wiel i was asleep..

the way i see it is you shouldnt be afraid to ask a question.. and if you are, do what i do, ask one of the knowledgeable guys in a pm, when i thought my first male gbb hooked out, i didnt wana start a thread to get flamed about "not all Ts hook out dont look for hooks" so i pmed a member, i asked poec if they looked like hooks to him... when i was about to pull my first sack.. i just wanted 2 or 3 opinions, i asked about it in pm to cb, and catfish. because i ddint wana see 37 people tell me what theyd do if it was their first sack when they aint had one..i wanted it directly from people who have pulled sacks early and have had both bad and good sacks...
NEVER be afraid to at least ask one person.. there 3 people on here that have my personal email and ask about information on herps and aquatics they are getting or are wanting, im asked my opinion on keeping a herp at least bimonthly. because someone wants just one persons input [hell even i myself have 3 people i fall on when i want to kick a thought around]

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
woow for a trollish name you rear up pretty well.. ill give you, i could have said it a bit better, but i figured its better then saying being an actual bleep-hole and saying you shouldnt be doing that, if you cant care for an animal properly blahblahblah, but i dont see it that way.. it was a simple error, and you learned [weather your willing to admit it or not, because you most likely will not set it the exact same way you did before] but if you wana try and be a smartelic.. at least give proper size a jigger [shot] is tech 1.5oz but "jello shot cups" range, down to 1oz , the 2oz i use. and even seen 4oz advertised as those... now im done trolling and back to the real talk.......

now i know losing a T is hard iv lost 3 fm psalms in the last few months. and it gutted me a day or two.. infact 2 was in the same enclosure[not same time] due to my guess of room being way to dry [had to turn on heater a few times last few weeks] but i stand by what i said, you do win some you loose some, because within the time frame of the last 2 losses, a male irminia hooked out, right beside the fems cage, only difference, i wasnt afraid to get his cage moldy because he was almost mature and wont be in there long.. so he was a little more moist.. but weeks later his fm neighbor was stick in a molt..so i may have lost 2 fms but i learned my lesson, so in otherwords i "won some"....now as much as i usualy avoid bob, [as u seen i kinda called him crazy for saying fl heats deadly] he has a point.. you came here with a sob story of using a lamp that dries out the air and was not set on a timer.. and lost a T.. you should have seen some things coming...

and i understand your mad, and not singling me out.. but yes hearing the same thing sucks, which is why i didnt preach the "get a space heater" line everyone elese was spitting.. however i mentioned the tank lids being only good place for brooder lamps, because your a herp keeper, so i was letting you know MY oppinion [because you already knew we dont encourage them in inverts]... because iv had so many fall apart from wire hanging and many more fall to the ground for no reason, one actualy burning a lizard wiel i was asleep..

the way i see it is you shouldnt be afraid to ask a question.. and if you are, do what i do, ask one of the knowledgeable guys in a pm, when i thought my first male gbb hooked out, i didnt wana start a thread to get flamed about "not all Ts hook out dont look for hooks" so i pmed a member, i asked poec if they looked like hooks to him... when i was about to pull my first sack.. i just wanted 2 or 3 opinions, i asked about it in pm to cb, and catfish. because i ddint wana see 37 people tell me what theyd do if it was their first sack when they aint had one..i wanted it directly from people who have pulled sacks early and have had both bad and good sacks...
NEVER be afraid to at least ask one person.. there 3 people on here that have my personal email and ask about information on herps and aquatics they are getting or are wanting, im asked my opinion on keeping a herp at least bimonthly. because someone wants just one persons input [hell even i myself have 3 people i fall on when i want to kick a thought around]
I've been reading this thread in the shadows since it showed up, but I just want to add Pyro has a point. There are definitely a few people who have really made me want to turn off this site by the 'tone' that seems to be portrayed in their posts (both to me and to others).

I just found people who were willing to talk with me, admit that they hadn't come off the best (if that might have been the case, re: see my new addition thread about my Tapinauchenius) but it wasn't what they meant and now I ask them in PMs if I'm not ready for the *airquotes* superior *airquotes* (<-indicating saracasm here..or trying to...) onslaught.

rockpython

Arachnopeon
Certain people on this forum have forgotten what it's like to be a newbie into something... take it for what it is and don't take it personally. Some keepers on here and I don't mesh well, it doesn't mean that they or I (or you) are wrong. It just means there is different opinions. If you've learned from this, it's a win. Don't give up the hobby based on a few faux pas, learn and advance, find the people on here that you work well with and trust and go from there

Last edited:

fowlmoodmandy

Arachnopeon
Somebody give this guy a new sling :geek: Matter of fact.....hey, Goodluckwiththat....get yourself a good, solid area to keep a T and a good solid enclosure and I'll pay for a G. pulchripes sling. You pay the shipping. Pm if you wish.

cold blood

Staff member

Goodnight.
Now that was genuinely funny:laugh:

You do something wrong, get corrected, go on to say it won't change your use of the lamp (post #25), and then get way too upset about it when your obvious mistake is pointed out and people encourage other options, downright hilarious. I'm amused by over-reactions, I'll admit. I'm baffled by the number of people that care what others they will never meet think. Information is information, whether you like the presentation or not...there's still value until someone takes things personally.