Unexpected C cyaneopubescens death

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
I recently got a C cyaneopubescens at the local exotic pet show. The first photo shows his condition when I got him. Never a really active spider, I gave it a week for the now home to be accepted. After two weeks he would just sit without even moving around. I monitored him for another week, and he stopped responding to paint brush touches. Upon returning from work one night, I found him as the second photo shows. His abdomen had shrunk and withered and he was gone. My housing was identical to all my other spiders. None have had any issues adapting for more than a few days, and all material in the house was new. I am at a loss for what the cause may be. Is there any probable condition that could have caused this? I have never had a spiders condition deteriorate like that.

GBB.jpg gbb_rip.jpg

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
What are the conditions of your others? All tarantulas don't live in the same conditions. Their enclosure should be set up specific for the tarantula your keeping.

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
I set up the 8x8x8 enclosure with three plants to web to and a hide. The water bowl was three inches across and full (kept clean) I know that they like to web, added extra plants for him. I did the research for a GBB as I always do prior to getting any species. I will be the first to say that I am still new to the hobby, but I am also thorough in my research (much of it coming from here). The webbing you see in the photo is all he ever webbed it up.

If possible, can we see his enclosure?
Water dish available?
Water dish is always available and cleanly filled (I include one one in every home I set up). The picture is an 8x6x6, same type though. with extra plants included. Actually it is the one to the left side of the picture... He never climbed the side, so not a fall. cage.jpg will

What are the conditions of your others? All tarantulas don't live in the same conditions. Their enclosure should be set up specific for the tarantula your keeping.
The other spiders are all healthy and eat well. I have had them for two years, with no issues. I do my research into the species that I will get, prior to getting something ad a rule.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Actually it is the one to the left6 side of the picture...
If it is the one in the left, the substrate appears moist. GBBs like it pretty much bone dry. I provide a water dish and once a week dribble a bit of water on their webbing. Other than that it’s bone dry. Here is my girl. Not at home, but I’ll take a picture of entire enclosure later.
IMG_8052.jpeg

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
If it is the one in the left, the substrate appears moist. GBBs like it pretty much bone dry. I provide a water dish and once a week dribble a bit of water on their webbing. Other than that it’s bone dry. Here is my girl. Not at home, but I’ll take a picture of entire enclosure later.
View attachment 472453
All the substrate is kept bone dry. I do not moisten any substrate, include a water dish instead.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How much time between the two pictures in the first post? She looks premolt then not

How big is she?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Last time I had gbb’s I attributed the loss to weak genetics or inbreeding it literally webbed everything there was no big fall distance so it didn’t fall . The only possible injury was if it climbed and fell on the water dish which I didn’t have a phone camera back then so I have no pictures . Unlikely…☹ i raised 3 from 3/4” size so they didn’t immediately die .

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Hard to know for sure, but since it came from a reptile show and was exposed to a lot of other animals along the way, I'd be suspicious of some kind of infection or parasites. Could also have been injured somehow during travel. It's all conjecture honestly.