Unidentified Theraphosidae (No ID Requests)

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, you were right. They are from Peru. I spoke to the original collectors and here's what he had to say.

I'm still confused where the name "Monte Carmelo comes from though. He gave me permission to share a photo of the adult female.

Photo credit: Hans-Werner Auer

Later, Tom
Thanks for the feedback, Tom. Too bad the the name remains a mistery and that they loose the blue when adult, but still a remarkable acquisition to your collection ;)

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Theraphosidae sp la mana
1cm sling (photo taken 2 July 20)
IMG_20200703_015032.jpg

Now at 1" (3 moults & 4 months later)
IMG_20201106_014941.jpg
IMG_20201106_014109.jpg
IMG_20201106_014041.jpg

Sorry for the pics being taken through the lid. It's still skittish so shoots down its burrow at any disturbance. Only since being rehoused, has it started being seen out of the burrow.

I bought it out of curiosity, adding it to an order. Told to keep it like an Ecuadorian Pamph by the seller. It does seem to absolutely thrive in moist substrate. I say in, because it immediately burrowed to the bottom, making a u shaped burrow with an entrance both ends and has done the same in the new enclosure. Feeds greedily, so is looking a bit plump at the moment.

As you can see the little beige sling I originally received now has a striking black carapace, chelicerae and femurs.

I have never seen a photo of an adult, no idea of maximum size or any other info. In fact, I bought it because I couldn't find anything out. I do love a mystery species!

Does anyone have an adult specimen or know anything about this species?

Thanks guys

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a guess based on name and some geographic data. Maybe it will end up like this Theraphosinae female around 35 mm body length.

CLICK

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Just a guess based on name and some geographic data. Maybe it will end up like this Theraphosinae female around 35 mm body length.

CLICK
Thanks so much for replying. I certainly hope so as that is a gorgeous looking tarantula. Certainly has a similarly shaped abdomen.

Clicking across I found a photo of a juvenile, which looks very different. However, I think you are right that my sp la mana will grow into something very much resembling that adult.