Very Close Call with a Death Adder!

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
Oh dear Lord... I'm glad you're okay, man. I thought this was going to be a story about a near miss, but when I saw the puncture wound I just about freaked.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Yes, the subspecies that comes from the Dajarra desert to be specific.
How the hell did you get your hands on a death adder in Europe, a few of my friends have them down here, lighting fast hey :wink: Not surprised people get tagged by this species, if they're hell bent on wanting to bite you then they're going to bite you.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
How the hell did you get your hands on a death adder in Europe, a few of my friends have them down here, lighting fast hey :wink: Not surprised people get tagged by this species, if they're hell bent on wanting to bite you then they're going to bite you.
This species made it to South Africa somehow and they were imported to Europe last 3-4 years from that single source.

I've never heard of the Dajarra Desert subspecies, but Death Adders are dirt common.
PNG Acanthophis (laevis and rugosus) are very common but real mainland Acanthophis are still rare. A.hawkei (which I keep) from Northern Floodplains are bit more common these days and A.antarcticus (which I keep as well) are available even though they are expensive. A.wellsi and A.pyrrhus are almost none existent.

Djarra is up near Mt Isa, never heard of the subspecies either.
Djarra adders were classified as a subspecies of A.antarcticus but pretty much everyone agree that they are not. Wolfgang Wuster classifies them as A.rugosus ssp. and Aussie naturalist Hoser classifies them as a new species, A.woolfi.

Here is the girl that bit me:

Not a good photo that I just took, underlit really... They are very beautiful.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just curious. Did the poor gal get her rabies and tetanus shots?

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
Whoahoho!

Looks like you gave death a handshake and got out alive.

Interesting to note that Acanthophis sp. tend to give out dry bites in captivity, though.