Vicareux' A. Geniculata growth diary

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's incredible how quickly they gain size over the span of a year. My guess is that in a year from now all 3 ought to reach at least 3.5 - 4". Lovely animals as always :)

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Here's another bit of A.geniculata fanservice
AG3 doing the "happy dance" (Webbing up prey)

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice vid ! Always love seeing them web up their prey. So fascinating !

vicareux

AG3 Molted
She is an absolute chonk. Amazing size gain, gained more than half an inch.
_MG_0770_1_1.jpg
Sheet.png

Room temp. through molt cycle: 26°C (78F) (Rarely fell under 25C,but didn't go much above 28)
Food type and frequency: A piece of a superworm every other week, with a dubia nymph sprinkled in every now and then.

vicareux

AG1 Molted
Nothing much to say, a small size gain. Larger than 2 inch, smaller than 2.5 inch.

_MG_1054_1.jpg

Sheet.png

Room temp. through molt cycle: 23°C (73F)
Food type and frequency: A piece of a superworm every 2nd week, with a dubia nymph sprinkled in every now and then.

TarantulaMel

Arachnopeon
Excellent documentation!!!!I acquired an A.geniculata from my brother.He ordered 1 and ended up gifting me 1 also.They were around 3/4-1 inch when we received them. This was around August of 2020,now about 2 years later,my genic is pushing 5 inches,while my brother's is around 3 1/2-4.Mine is a confirmed female through molt sexing. My brother has yet to determine the sex of his T.My T has molted around 7 times in my care.

vicareux

Excellent documentation!!!!I acquired an A.geniculata from my brother.He ordered 1 and ended up gifting me 1 also.They were around 3/4-1 inch when we received them. This was around August of 2020,now about 2 years later,my genic is pushing 5 inches,while my brother's is around 3 1/2-4.Mine is a confirmed female through molt sexing. My brother has yet to determine the sex of his T.My T has molted around 7 times in my care.
Thank you!! They are a joy to raise, arent they

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are slowly but surely going up in size, they are also becoming more and more attractive. I'm curious by how much more size they'll gain by the end of this year.

vicareux

AG2 Molted, she is quite chunky. Very close to 3 inches but i don't want to label it as 3" yet.

_MG_1154_1.jpg
_MG_1156_1.jpg
Sheet.png
Room temp. through molt cycle: 23°C (73F)
Food type and frequency: A piece of a superworm every 2nd week, with a dubia nymph sprinkled in every now and then.

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
Any more news ? this is a great thread i keep serching for it and re-reading it all as its nice to see the progress .

vicareux

I haven't forgot about this thread. They just simply haven't molted. They have finally rejected food and have entered pre molt. Their abdomens are like balloons though.

vicareux

AG3 (Aphonopelma geniculata) has finally molted. 243 days. My geniculatas turned Aphonopelma all of a sudden.
_MG_0338_2.jpg
They have been well fed, so it couldnt have been that. Temperature wise, considering that they have molted in the middle of summer last time, there have been a few more warm months before winter hit. In the winter my room temperature has been dropping while i was at work, while a small heater was working, it never dropped below 15-17ish C. When i came back from work, i would light up a fire and temps would reach way past 25C. And those have been the coldest months. April has warmed up a bit now. Other two are in premolt. Interesting how they all went into premolt at the same time.
Oh well, decent size gain. Measured it while it was curled like this, solid 2+ inches. So im assuming at least 3 inches while relaxed and spread.
Room temp. through molt cycle: Varying. Not below 15C, not above 30C.
Food type and frequency: Varying, mostly dubias.

Sheet.png

vicareux

Looks like this is also a spermatheca development diary
Also, have i been measuring them incorrectly? She certainly didn't "Look" 3.5 inches, and she doesn't yet look like a "4 inch" spider.
_MG_0361_1.jpg
_MG_0363.JPG

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Also, have i been measuring them incorrectly? She certainly didn't "Look" 3.5 inches, and she doesn't yet look like a "4 inch" spider.
It looks right to me, i don't strech them out ether and position the legs like it may be sitting there normally, like you seem to have done as well.

But then again it is not an exact measurement in the first place.

I expect they will adapt a '1 molt per year' cycle from now on.
Perhaps you will get one additional molt this year if they are fed a lot.
Keep us posted :).