walking stick - tarantula prey?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She still didn't eat her pinkie, so I may pick one up tomorrow. She has one leg on the pinkie, and still seems not to notice it there. Sh emust have been always fed live food I guess.
I will let everyone know how it does with the stick.

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
Replying to an earlier post feeding a mantis to a T would be a bad idea as mantises take out Scorpions and Birds and a large mantis would make short work of the average T. Maybe with a Blondi it would be different but in general if you stuck a mantis and a T together you would have a very fat mantis and loads of spider bits in the cage very soon.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This might sound kind of mean, but when I have a mantis that at the end of it life cycle, I'll cut off its face and arms then feed it to my T. The T's love them and make short work of killing them.

On the subject of feeding the T. blondi meat. Why don't you take your $10.00 and buy a nice T-bone. Cut a hunk of raw meat from it to feed the T. BBQ the rest for dinner. ;)

E

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would imagine the T would have a job sensing that a stick insect is in its enclosure. Stick insects are very lightfooted and not really very mobile (spend a lot of time standing still..lol) But you could always give it a go:?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ryan Bridgman
Replying to an earlier post feeding a mantis to a T would be a bad idea as mantises take out Scorpions and Birds and a large mantis would make short work of the average T. Maybe with a Blondi it would be different but in general if you stuck a mantis and a T together you would have a very fat mantis and loads of spider bits in the cage very soon.

I disagree. Pound for pound it seems like Ts are strongr than mantids. They are definitely heavier and any commonly kept mantis would have a full job subduing a T

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by manville
I dont think a mantis can take down a tarantula
It would depend on the T and the mantis. I use to have a 3" mantis living with my a.iodious when it was 2- 2 1/2" They stayed together for about a month and then I let the mantis go (local caught) because I thought it might be gravid. The t stayed on the ground and the mantis hung out in the plants. The only time I saw a confrontation, the T did the threat thing and the mantis flew to the other side of the cage. After that the mantis pretty much stayed hanging from the screen lid. Compared to the t the mantis ate like a pig =D

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Buy the walking stick, and keep it as pet. ;)
They are really too amazing just to use as feeders IMO.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, sell me on the attributes of the walking stick as a pet. I am going to see them today!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check out the insect forum. There are several threads about E. tiaratum and other sticks.

Wade

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just for a second, instead of trying to see what kind of critter your goliath can take town.

Maybe its in premolt? Don't think anyone mentioned that yet. I also had a 9in. blondi that had no problem grabbing large crickets, those can't be too small since they can feel the vibrations from them running around.

Steve

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think she is pre-molt as her adbomen is still very light colored.
I have tried crickets to no avail, but maybe I will try again.

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh ok, just checking. All of mine seemed to go into premolt a week or two before they darkened, kinda weird really. If shes wc she still might be shaken up a little if shes freash.
Steve

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Are feeder roaches out of the question? Seems like those are the next step up on the size scale for feeder insects

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Blaberus discoidalis (False Death Head) get about 2 1/2in. at adult size. Can't climb glass and have alot more meat than crickets. My 9in. blondi(R.I.P.) used to pounce on them. Just left me with 7 adults(had 50+) and that was a year ago. Now I have them in a 10gal. aquirium and they've multiplied so much that I get a few orange nymphs every now and then and a white/silver winged adult, pretty cool.
Steve

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
Just to reply to an earlier post I cannot fathom any way my Seemanni, Smithi or H.Maculata would last more than 2 minutes against my Giant African Mantis. No way. The mantis takes out scorps and scorps usually come out on top against T's so surely unless it is a Blondi or other giant then the T wouldn't last. Sure against the smaller mantids but a 7" mantis will rip that T to shreds (which is why the mantis is kept well away from the T's!)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, as you may have noticed on another post I have bought an anole ($14) for my blondi, and will see how that goes...