Wasp Parasitizing Tarantula

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a wasp parasitizing a tarantula. The tarantula has been stung and is beeing dragged to the wasp's hole. I'd like to know what species they both are. Photo taken in Colombia.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excellent photo.

Maybe try to contact the expert Dr Vardy (vardy.yarina@talk21. com) to identify the pompilid wasp, but indeed Pepsis and Hemipepsis good candidates.

The tarantula is really difficult, colours likely very faded because was about to moult its skin. All i can say is family Theraphosdae, subfamily Theraphosinae. I know one similar from Caldas, but its undescribed.

stuart

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
+1 nj... tons of crazy t-hawk vids... check out the bulldog raspy cricket as well.(i think thats the common name)... i kinda like monster bug wars on the sci channel (i dont condone bugs fighting for entertainment, but i find the creatures stunning as well as creepily beautiful)

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Tarantula Hawk... and i hope i don't come across one, because it wouldn't stand a chance

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice shot! Gorgeous wasp, it's a fascinating relationship. Sad for the T but they need predators like everything else

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
+1 nj... tons of crazy t-hawk vids... check out the bulldog raspy cricket as well.(i think thats the common name)... i kinda like monster bug wars on the sci channel (i dont condone bugs fighting for entertainment, but i find the creatures stunning as well as creepily beautiful)
I'll check it out!

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments. I thought it was interesting when I moved here that the caretaker (mayordomo) was far more cautious with those wasps than with any of the scorpions which he sometimes picked up by the tail.

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
yet another reason that I hate wasps... it's such a horrific way to die. X(

the only other predator of Ts is humans, though.
wasps and humans. kinda crazy.

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
yet another reason that I hate wasps... it's such a horrific way to die. X(

the only other predator of Ts is humans, though.
wasps and humans. kinda crazy.
i gotta disagree here... sorry

cats
dogs
snakes
millipedes
lizards
birds
monkeys
frogs
other spiders
fire/bulldog/driver ants
fish
scorpions
rats
small mammals
ambush insects (praying mantis, assassin bugs, antlions, ect..)
ect...

tarantulas are not safe from anything, its why they have adapted to burrow and spin web. animals that have none or few predators are a class called apex predators and apex predators do not burrow, hide, or live in shelters the majority of their lives, they live out in the open because they fear nothing!

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
i gotta disagree here... sorry

cats
dogs
snakes
millipedes
lizards
birds
monkeys
frogs
other spiders
fire/bulldog/driver ants
fish
scorpions
rats
small mammals
ambush insects (praying mantis, assassin bugs, antlions, ect..)
ect...

tarantulas are not safe from anything, its why they have adapted to burrow and spin web. animals that have none or few predators are a class called apex predators and apex predators do not burrow, hide, or live in shelters the majority of their lives, they live out in the open because they fear nothing!
I shouldn't post on little sleep...
you're totally right, and I was derping.

but I do think that wasps are probably the worst way to go.
well... or ants.

Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
I shouldn't post on little sleep...
you're totally right, and I was derping.

but I do think that wasps are probably the worst way to go.
well... or ants.

lol yeah i agree, what pisses me off is the sting doesn't kill the tarantula, its just paralyses it, so its still alive when the wasp lays its eggs inside of them, and alive when when the wasps babies hatch and for the next few weeks slowly eat the tarantula alive. Something about the venom preserves the spiders life because it needs to be alive for the baby wasps.

nothing deserves to fall prey to such a horrible end. especially something i like!! (lol) very few true parasites are actually necessary parts of the animal kingdom (like fish parasites that feed species of cleaner fish for example) this wasp could be eradicated and i wouldn't care nor do i think it would have any negative impact. i don't believe the numbers of tarantulas would spiral out of control if they suddenly vanished there are other factors that limit this.

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
even when I was phobic of all things with exoskeletons, I thought these wasps were extra awful.

In all honesty; if I found a genie in a bottle and could only have one wish, I would wish for all parasitizing wasps to vanish and never, ever come back in any way, shape, or form.

maybe my stance is a little extreme, but there it is.

Anywho. Hooray for Ts!