Water dish size for slings?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I totally get that you are content with the imperial system because that's what you know. But you gotta admit that imperial are incredibly more complicated than metric. Ounces, pounds, stones, inches, yards, gallons and so on are each based on different number systems right?
(Correct me if I'm wrong here. For the most part I'm as ignorant of the imperial system as you are of the metric one)

In the metric system, every unit of measurment, wether it is length, weight, or volume, is based on the number 10.
It will all be metric in time....it just makes more sense from a fabrication/engineering standpoint = P. For the op any amount of standing water for a tiny sling is fine.....if it cannot drown in it...I doubt they even drown considering how the booklung is laid out...more likely exustion from fighting surface tension? IKD really as Ive only misted for a long time now with no issues.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
They lied to us about the past also!
Thankfully we have the internet now where truth prevails at last!

I use bottlecaps for sling water dishes -- not a single drowning! Even slings know what they're doing. :)

magneto

Arachnoknight
It will all be metric in time....it just makes more sense from a fabrication/engineering standpoint = P. For the op any amount of standing water for a tiny sling is fine.....if it cannot drown in it...I doubt they even drown considering how the booking is laid out...more likely exustion from fighting surface tension? IKD really as Ive only misted for a long time now with no issues.
The more I think about it the more I relize it won't be a problem. The T's are 1,5 cm in legspan. The caps are 3cm in diameter. If the T falls into it and floats right in the middle it's gonna be 0,75mm (1/32inch) of water between it and the edges. If they die from exhaustion in that, I'm gonna rule it as suicide.

Last edited:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
From what I have ascertained its an exhausted or dying T making a last ditch effort to absorb moisture on its way out rather than drowning. I personally had a blondi enclosure flood (to the top of the tank filled) with water and the T survived being submerged for over 9 hours. Im not sure what factor size plays but some literally seem water repellant.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ts float a bit -- all they need is one leg to grab an edge -- they're out. I just can't see a normal healthy T (or sling) drowning or having difficulties navigating water bowls. Some folks add pebbles for crickets -- but I stopped that -- too much cleaning involved.

magneto

Arachnoknight
the T survived being submerged for over 9 hours. Im not sure what factor size plays but some literally seem water repellant.
Huh, the more you know. But I can't help thinking that when you finally got it out, it was like: "FINALLY! There you are!! WHERE the F*** have you been??" :laugh:

I've actually been thinking of making a half terrarium half aquarium enclosure for some time now. It would be cool to look at. It would certanly keep the humidity up. And apparantly, T's cant drown, so I see no drawbacks so far.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 04:11 AM ----------

But more importantly, how did it happen? The flooding I mean?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
did it work?

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 05:51 PM ----------

yes? maybe? no?

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 05:52 PM ----------

YES! I have now progressed to 3rd degree forum master!
Quite honestly, just learning now how to use the backspace key doesn't get your promoted, it gets you demoted big time for such extreme tardiness. :biggrin:

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
Quite honestly, just learning now how to use the backspace key doesn't get your promoted, it gets you demoted big time for such extreme tardiness. :biggrin:

AWWWW! I even called my mom to tell her. how am I gonna call and tell her that now I've been demoted?!

magneto

Arachnoknight
Aww, did you have to? Couldn't you have let him bask in the glory of his new trick for a while longer before you crushed him with the cold harsh truth? :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aww, did you have to? Couldn't you have let him bask in the glory of his new trick for a while longer before you crushed him with the cold harsh truth? :p
I'd rather someone hate me for telling them the truth, than like me because of a lie.

magneto

Arachnoknight
I'd rather someone hate me for telling them the truth, than like me because of a lie.
In roughly 24 hours we have gone from water dishes to metric vs imperial, from forum use 101 and flying cars, to critizising the American educational system and scuba diving T's, back to water dishes, and finally we have ventured into the domain of philosophy and inspirational life quotes.

Thats it! I'm declaring this thread the new Watering Hole! :laugh:

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
U can buy sling water dishes for really cheap they come in three or five packs.

They are pretty cheap (I think like 25-50 cents each)... I'll include a link to where I got mine when I can find the receipt.

--J.Haas

magneto

Arachnoknight
U can buy sling water dishes for really cheap they come in three or five packs.

They are pretty cheap (I think like 25-50 cents each)... I'll include a link to where I got mine when I can find the receipt.

--J.Haas
Those are so much better looking than bright yellow bottlecaps. And I would greatly appreciate that link. :)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
From what I have ascertained its an exhausted or dying T making a last ditch effort to absorb moisture on its way out rather than drowning. I personally had a blondi enclosure flood (to the top of the tank filled) with water and the T survived being submerged for over 9 hours. Im not sure what factor size plays but some literally seem water repellant.

Wtf, how does that much water even make its way into an enclosure....please explain...gotta be a good story behind that. Apparently there's no cross ventilation as it would have allowed for at least some drainage.

The more I think about it the more I relize it won't be a problem. The T's are 1,5 cm in legspan. The caps are 3cm in diameter. If the T falls into it and floats right in the middle it's gonna be 0,75mm (1/32inch) of water between it and the edges. If they die from exhaustion in that, I'm gonna rule it as suicide.
A t floating on the surface tension is basic science and takes ZERO effort from the t....exhaustion is basically impossible IMO...slings naturally float, and I have yet to see a spider of any kind atop the water that had an issue moving upon its surface.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Still looking for the receipt, but the place makes three different sized water dishes for slings, juvies, and adults:
I put my hand here for size reference... But I have pretty tiny hands so they prob look a bit bigger than they really are lol:

They come in packs and they look awesome... I'll post again when I figure out where they come from :p

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 11:21 PM ----------

Ok... So I bought these from "tarantula shoppe UK" but now I remember it was kind of a pain in the ass to order from them because I'm in the US and the bc the post office had some weird issue with the weight of the parcel. But they are awesome little dishes and they def look better than bottle caps and such! :)

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Wtf, how does that much water even make its way into an enclosure....please explain...gotta be a good story behind that. Apparently there's no cross ventilation as it would have allowed for at least some drainage.

A t floating on the surface tension is basic science and takes ZERO effort from the t....exhaustion is basically impossible IMO...slings naturally float, and I have yet to see a spider of any kind atop the water that had an issue moving upon its surface.
Woah, calm down there lol. It was a palladium I built back in 2010 with an ato, the float switch failed and dumped the Rez into the display. As for surface tension, it is powerful enough to support the weight of some critters....and also enough to hold or cling with equal force depending on the situation. Say when the larger ventral regions make contact with the surface and cling to the tiny t? T uses the last of its reserves getting to a moist spot can't get out (hypothetically and from ancinodetal observation). Not a healthy sling, "T making a last ditch effort on its way out". As in dying on the water dish, may of been able to move off of it, but on other notes would not of mattered regardless of what weighed it down be it exhaustion from being clung to the shallow water dish it collapsed into or constipation ( I'm kidding).

magneto

Arachnoknight
Ok... So I bought these from "tarantula shoppe UK" but now I remember it was kind of a pain in the ass to order from them because I'm in the US and the bc the post office had some weird issue with the weight of the parcel. But they are awesome little dishes and they def look better than bottle caps and such! :)
Ah. I think you mean thespidershop.co.uk. Great store, I shop there a lot. The drawback is that while the dishes themselves only cost a buck and half, the shipping is gonna cost allmost $20. Still not that much. But I consider the shipping too expensive when the value of the goods are so low. Especially when a bottlecap does the same job.

But thanks anyway. :)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah. I think you mean thespidershop.co.uk. Great store, I shop there a lot. The drawback is that while the dishes themselves only cost a buck and half, the shipping is gonna cost allmost $20. Still not that much. But I consider the shipping too expensive when the value of the goods are so low. Especially when a bottlecap does the same job.

But thanks anyway. :)
Ah yes, the spider shop UK, my bad... I got it with a bunch of other stuff... I wouldn't recommend just buying the dishes alone. Well now u know lol :)

--J.Haas

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I use milk jug caps with a few pebbles in em. Also as an American and amateur machinist it would be easier IMO to use the metric system. I use 1000th of an inch increments but never have measured parts at,for example, 1 and 5/8. For the rest of the world ours is simple system just divide the inch up differently depending on what you're doing do some conversions and memorize a list of fractions. Real simple lol.