We interrupt this afternoon's scheduled broadcast, to bring you a freshly moulting Tarantula!

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last night at just after 10pm, Cyan, our gorgeous little Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling, moulted into a perfect, healthy little L4 tarantula. :D

We knew it was going to happen this weekend, she'd been going mental since Friday evening, laying down copious amounts of webbing around the outside of her hide, and kicking showers of hairs all over the place.

She'd spent the last week preparing herself and her surroundings, including the usual webbing up of her hide, where she has on her previous moults, hidden herself away to complete the moulting process.

So it was to my absolute surprise and delight, that on this occasion, she decided to moult out in the open, right in front of us, and our trusty Canon Powershot 480 was on hand to capture the event in 1cm macro detail. :D

Some of the images are not great quality, due to the mixture of it being night time, using artificial lighting (but having to be careful not to use too much and stress her), glare, movement of the 'subject', and the lack of a tripod to support the camera.

Though I wouldn't normally, I've still included some of the more grainy and poorer quality images on this occasion, as I wanted to capture for you a snap-shot of the entire event.

I took well over 100 images during this shoot, but bring you the "ruthless edit", which takes the number down to 40 of the better ones. Even then, it was still so hard to decide which ones to leave out. ;)

The way she moulted too, was surprising, fascinating, and totally cool!

She made herself a 'web hammock', almost like a circus safety net, and instead of just moulting normally on her back, she suspended herself upside down from a leaf over her 'hammock', and when she was ready, just kind of 'slid' right out of her old exo, into the 'safety net' waiting to support her as she fell. It was very awesome. :D

Anyway, enough waffling, time for the action:

Last steps at L3, as she approaches her moulting position...

Cyan is not an "upside down" spider. Some spiders like to hang upside down sometimes, but not her; so when we saw this, we knew that the time had come...

She hung there from 10pm until about 25 past, when the moult began.
I presumed that she was going to ease herself down into her moulting mat onto her back when she was ready; but she had something else in mind...

and in no more than 15 minutes, she had all but slid out from her old exo, supported by her safety net, with just her feet left to come out. (ahhh, look at that lovely blue!)...

She took another 10-15 minutes, just laying on her back and catching her breath, and then with a few little kicks, she was free of her old straight jacket...

then she spent some time flexing her new legs, and giving us some nice white fang shots...

happy that everything was working as it should, it was time to test out her new exo by putting some weight on her legs...

and very pretty legs they are too...

the next image isn't good quality, but I put it in so you can see what I mean by the 'safety net' or 'hammock' that she made herself to 'drop' into...

by this time, I think she was fed up with my prying lense, and turned to move deeper into her tunnel...

couple of close ups of the iridescent blue now adorning the tops of her legs...

and two cute face shots, as she settles down to wash and preen her fresh new legs...

and finally, two from this morning, when she came out for a stretch. Unfortunately very bad sunlight glare makes the images not too great, but does show off her new colours nicely...

That's all guys, hope you enjoyed the moulting show. :)

Last edited:

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very cool pictures, does a beautiful species justice!

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow!! Great pictures!:clap: Very nice looking T! Lucky you!:D

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fantastic Post! On ALL accounts/aspects!

:clap: The Cute little Wh. Fangs :p

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, Cyan is looking great! I've never seen a T molt like that before, but if she did it intentionally, i'd say it was a smart move- letting gravity help her out of her old skin. :D Great pics!

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all your nice comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the show. :)

That's awesome! :clap:{D @ title.
There's a story behind the title actually. :)

I'd been waiting poised with camera for nearly half an hour, but was bursting for the toilet. I couldn't wait any longer, and I just knew she'd choose that moment to start.

I'd been out of the room for all of 30 seconds, when Katie (my little girl) yells:
"Daaaaad! Quick, something white is coming out of Cyan!"

I thought for a terrible moment that she was talking about haemolymph. I don't think I've ever moved so quickly. Fortunately, what she was seeing, was Cyan's protruding fangs and chelicerae. I missed getting these first scenes on camera, as the auto-shut off function had kicked in while I was out of the room, and in the time I'd taken to switch it back on, adjust the zoom, find a good position and re-focus to shoot, she had already slipped halfway out!

Katie said "sorry to interrupt your toilet, but I was scared for her!"

I said no that is fine, she did the right thing, and it was always perfectly acceptable to interrupt me in the middle of anything, for a moulting tarantula! :D
And hence the title had chosen itself. :)

Wow, Cyan is looking great! I've never seen a T molt like that before, but if she did it intentionally, i'd say it was a smart move- letting gravity help her out of her old skin. :D Great pics!

That was by far the coolest part of the whole thing for me. And yes, it was clearly intentional, and pre-meditated on her part. It was my first time actually witnessing a moult, as she always did it in her hide before. But, I had seen lots of other T's moulting on youtube though, so I thought I knew what to expect.

We had a false alarm on Friday night, when she went into that same upside down position on the leaf she moulted from, but she didn't stay there for any length of time, just kept kind of 'dangling' from the leaf, laying down a load of webbing, going back up and hanging again, and then webbing some more.

I was a bit confused as to what exactly she was doing at the time, but obviously it was something to do with her moulting preparations, so I just put it down to that. But in hindsight, it is clear to me from witnessing her previous actions, that she was in fact measuring out the distance she needed between her 'anchor' leaf for the old exo to hang from, and her 'safety net' below. It's really fascinating when I stop to think about it. I would say something about the 'intelligence of spiders', but I don't want to turn a nice topic into a heated debate. ;)

But she very definitely intended to moult like this, and pre-planned the whole thing. :D
The way she just slid out of her old exo, was just awesome to watch, and so quick! I'd seen so many stories and examples of moults taking hours to accomplish, I was expecting her to be at it for some time.

But she just hung herself up, popped herself open, literally just slid straight out down to the blue smoother top parts of her legs, in a matter of seconds. As her legs came out, the lower pink hairy parts then met with friction against the inner old exo, and that slowed her decent.

She stopped for about a minute at that point, and made a short pumping action of her legs, which released just enough more for her back to reach her 'safety net', and once she felt that supporting her, she then took her time to get the remainder of her legs free.

It was just a really really cool experience to watch. :D