What arboreal new world species to get?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Psalmopoeus cambridgei = a benign T, really gentle. Just they love to teleport sometime, but that's all. Keep an eye and you're fine.
Just offered an extra cricket few minutes ago to mine supposed female.. since i rehoused her a week ago she deserved that. They are so lovely.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus cambridgei = a benign T, really gentle. Just they love to teleport sometime, but that's all. Keep an eye and you're fine.
Just offered an extra cricket few minutes ago to mine supposed female.. since i rehoused her a week ago she deserved that. They are so lovely.
P.cambridgei are NOT "gentle". Granted they're more laid back than P.irminia, but telling a noob (or posting on a public forum where noobs can view it) that P.cambridgei is a gentle tarantula is a bad idea. Cambridgei can still be quite skittish and defensive.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P.cambridgei are NOT "gentle". Granted they're more laid back than P.irminia, but telling a noob (or posting on a public forum where noobs can view it) that P.cambridgei is a gentle tarantula is a bad idea. Cambridgei can still be quite skittish and defensive.

But fact is - from my point of view - someone (maybe not the OP) wants an arboreal T.. but he/she is tired (or doesn't wanna, and there's a lot of people who, incredibly, dislike "Avics" btw) of "Avics". So the only candidate left is Psalmopoeus cambridgei IMO, since Tapinauchenius sp. for instance, are even more "teleport".

I give them 6.5 max 7, nothing more, when it comes to temperament (temperament that, as we know, vary). Easy to care. Good eaters.

Yes, they are fast, indeed. But that's the only thing for me. If someone is scared by that type of speed and jumps (and no problems about) it's better to stick with bulky (and great) terrestrial NW T's, then.

Beginners should start with "Avics", even if there's always the (important) care part to consider, ok. But then if someone wants to continue into arboreals, maybe for reaching "that Pookie" viewed as a sort of oasis, Psalmopoeus cambridgei is the right "horse".

Their venom is somewhat potent for being NW, but i view them that way: gentle :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBFaVs3z0NE

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But fact is - from my point of view - someone (maybe not the OP) wants an arboreal T.. but he/she is tired (or doesn't wanna, and there's a lot of people who, incredibly, dislike "Avics" btw) of "Avics". So the only candidate left is Psalmopoeus cambridgei IMO, since Tapinauchenius sp. for instance, are even more "teleport".

I give them 6.5 max 7, nothing more, when it comes to temperament (temperament that, as we know, vary). Easy to care. Good eaters.

Yes, they are fast, indeed. But that's the only thing for me. If someone is scared by that type of speed and jumps (and no problems about) it's better to stick with bulky (and great) terrestrial NW T's, then.

Beginners should start with "Avics", even if there's always the (important) care part to consider, ok. But then if someone wants to continue into arboreals, maybe for reaching "that Pookie" viewed as a sort of oasis, Psalmopoeus cambridgei is the right "horse".

Their venom is somewhat potent for being NW, but i view them that way: gentle :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBFaVs3z0NE
Chris I don't think you're understanding me. When people think of a tarantula that is "docile" or" gentle" they think of Brachypelma, Grammastola, etc. Not Psalmopoeus cambridgei. Besides speed, defensiveness makes them a poor choice for beginners. Avicularia are the best starter arboreal. Note I said starter ARBOREAL, not starter tarantula. I don't think novice keepers should start off with arboreals. Maybe as a 2nd or 3rd tarantula, but not a first. However, once they have basic tarantula care down, then I'd say they're ready for an Avicularia. THEN after some experience with Avics, they can move up to psalmos. Sorry but gentle doesn't describe this species.

Also they're called Pokies not Pookies [emoji14]

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris I don't think you're understanding me. When people think of a tarantula that is "docile" or" gentle" they think of Brachypelma, Grammastola, etc. Not Psalmopoeus cambridgei. Besides speed, defensiveness makes them a poor choice for beginners. Avicularia are the best starter arboreal. Note I said starter ARBOREAL, not starter tarantula. I don't think novice keepers should start off with arboreals. Maybe as a 2nd or 3rd tarantula, but not a first. However, once they have basic tarantula care down, then I'd say they're ready for an Avicularia. THEN after some experience with Avics, they can move up to psalmos. Sorry but gentle doesn't describe this species.

Also they're called Pokies not Pookies [emoji14]

Ah ah, i understand you, don't worry Bob. That was a bit intentional {D since you are the first to chime in when i call Psalmopoeus cambridgei "gentle".

Benign, also... of course NO beginner should own a "Psalmo".

"Pookies" for "Spookies", a la Candyman, "Sweets to the sweet" :)

You made me laugh when you said before "stretch" because reminded me of Limousine name according to GTA.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah ah, i understand you, don't worry Bob. That was a bit intentional {D since you are the first to chime in when i call Psalmopoeus cambridgei "gentle".

Benign, also... of course NO beginner should own a "Psalmo".

"Pookies" for "Spookies", a la Candyman, "Sweets to the sweet" :)

You made me laugh when you said before "stretch" because reminded me of Limousine name according to GTA.
No hard feelings. I'm going by my personal experiences of course. All of my P.cambridgei have been somewhat defensive.

awiec

Arachnoprince
No offense, but...what's wrong with you?! :D
Haas has always struck me as a strange lady, so I'm not too surprised that she said that. Though realistically when my avics try to be all defensive I think "aw how cute you're trying to be tough" while if my Taps or OW did that I would be on high alert and proceed with caution. Honestly I am more worried about my avics pooping/hairing me than biting me.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haas has always struck me as a strange lady, so I'm not too surprised that she said that. Though realistically when my avics try to be all defensive I think "aw how cute you're trying to be tough" while if my Taps or OW did that I would be on high alert and proceed with caution. Honestly I am more worried about my avics pooping/hairing me than biting me.
Well, I meant it in a funny, joking way. That said, at least Nila is with her 6" an Avic that is as moody as my G. pulchripes and doesn't hesitate to show it. With her size and speed, she's cute and fuzzy, but her fangs are long enough to still hurt I bet. The only ones that ever pooped on me, were the A. purpureas and none of my others did that since.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well, I meant it in a funny, joking way. That said, at least Nila is with her 6" an Avic that is as moody as my G. pulchripes and doesn't hesitate to show it. With her size and speed, she's cute and fuzzy, but her fangs are long enough to still hurt I bet. The only ones that ever pooped on me, were the A. purpureas and none of my others did that since.
Oh I know, I was also kinda getting meta with the joke as there is a well known plant geneticists named Haas who did some crazy RNA mapping back in the day when it took an insane amount of effort to do so.

boondoc

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, not to take away from OP. I am also interested in my first arboreal and was looking at the p. Cambridgeiu which is being suggested a lot. I currently have a gbb sling and I would like to know in terms of speed how do they compare? My gbb is a lightning bolt but I'm able to keep my eyes on it. Also, im hoping it will serve as a stepping stone to a p. Metallica in the distant future.

cold blood

Staff member
P. cambridgei doesn't really compare, they're much faster, and being arboreal, much more "athletic" as well.

Get a P. cam or three (they're both cheap and a real treat to own), raise them to adulthood (which will be maybe a year) and at that point I would start looking at that P. metallica.

Fyi, genus always capitalized, species is never capitalized (and technically should be in italics)

boondoc

Arachnopeon
P. cambridgei doesn't really compare, they're much faster, and being arboreal, much more "athletic" as well.

Get a P. cam or three (they're both cheap and a real treat to own), raise them to adulthood (which will be maybe a year) and at that point I would start looking at that P. metallica.

Fyi, genus always capitalized, species is never capitalized (and technically should be in italics)
Thanks for the info. I was on my phone when i wrote that which is why the punctuation was off, my bad. I was doing a bit more research and the P. metallica seems to have an interesting reputation but i am a fan of the look of that genus. I will have to look into the others in that genus who are generally less aggressive/moody. I do have another question what was the other suggestion you mentioned after the cambridgei above?

TopLamp

Arachnopeon
I bought a P.cam sling on craigslist from the hobbyist I bought my gbb sling from. The P.cam is growing like a weed, it has molted twice in a month and a half.
Hello everyone, not to take away from OP. I am also interested in my first arboreal and was looking at the p. Cambridgeiu which is being suggested a lot. I currently have a gbb sling and I would like to know in terms of speed how do they compare? My gbb is a lightning bolt but I'm able to keep my eyes on it. Also, im hoping it will serve as a stepping stone to a p. Metallica in the distant future.
Mines is very fast, much faster than gbb, but is less skittish than the Ephebopus cyanognathus sling I had, also no threats so far.

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Sorry to bump again, but I'm wondering when would be a good time to make the jump from NW terrestrials to arboreals? I've had a juvenile B. albopilosum or about 4 months now, acquired a juvenile E. campestratus 5 days ago, and just today received an order of three slings (a GBB, B. vagans, and A. seemanni), would you suggest building more experience? Or is "the jump" more of a "you won't know until you try" situation? I'm researching P. cambridgei mainly. Hope for one to act as a stepping stone to P. rufilata one day.

I can't help but feel like I'm jumping the gun a bit, but at the same time I feel like even in worst case scenario, it'd be a great learning experience.

I'd love to hear personal experiences with making the step from beginner to intermediate Ts, how long you waited, what species, how many, etc, etc... Thanks for any and all replies!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
...I've had a juvenile B. albopilosum or about 4 months now, acquired a juvenile E. campestratus 5 days ago, and just today received an order of three slings (a GBB, B. vagans, and A. seemanni), would you suggest building more experience? Or is "the jump" more of a "you won't know until you try" situation?

I can't help but feel like I'm jumping the gun a bit, but at the same time I feel like even in worst case scenario, it'd be a great learning experience.
Yeah, you might be jumping the gun just a bit. If the B. albopilosum was your first tarantula, and after only four months you've jumped - in less than a week - from one tarantula to five, that is moving pretty quickly. It might be prudent to exercise a little caution and take it slower now while you become accustomed to keeping multiple tarantulas and accommodating their individual needs. Give them time to put on a little size - and give yourself a chance to become acquainted with their moods and behaviors.

All of the species you've selected are beautiful spiders and are not notoriously aggressive or defensive - but as they grow, you may find that they can be a bit temperamental. Some may be hair kickers while others may go into a threat posture or even try to bite your tongs. No matter what the "typical" temperament is for a given species, individual spiders will have their own personalities - and can experience dramatic mood swings, either gradually over the course of their lifetime or in a relatively short time span.

Once you do move up to arboreals, you need to be prepared for their speed. They can move unbelievably quickly and can run/teleport out of their enclosures - or even up your arm - when you are trying to feed them, refill water dishes, or clean their cages. Depending on the spider selected, venom may also be an issue.

There's no set time period or required rite of passage for transitioning from terrestrial to arboreal species - or even from NW to OW. It all depends on you, your comfort level, your experience, and your knowledge of the spiders you will be working with. Of course, building experience and a reasonable level of comfort/confidence in dealing with tarantulas can only come with time - and with having to deal with the occasional misadventure, such as having to chase down an escaped spider. If they are all perfectly behaved little slings who sit docilely in their cages while you perform your required tasks and never posture, bolt, or flick hairs, then you won't learn as much about how to handle problems when they arise. It's only over time - and with repetition of the regular maintenance plus the occasional rehousing - that you really get a solid feel for what the spiders are capable of - and how you are going to handle any situations that might arise. It's better to go slow - and be ready (or at least as ready as you can be) - than to dive in all at once and then discover that you're in over your head.

My personal progression with tarantulas was to start with a B. albopilosum sling followed by an adult G. rosea within the year. After the B. albopilosum had matured, I purchased an A. versicolor sling - my first arboreal. I waited until that one was sub-adult before progressing to my first (and - so far - only) OW, P. vittata (also a sling). That one is now also full grown or very nearly so, and I recently got a juvenile P. irminia. (While the pokie may have the more potent venom, he's a big chicken and runs and hides every time I get too close. The P. irminia, on the other hand, goes into a threat posture when I walk past its cage - and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it tried to bolt one of these days when I had to open the cage. We have, however, gotten through our first rehousing without incident.)