What do you carry when hunting scorpions

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hahaha...the Rev was there my first time ever blacklighting! Some six years ago or something..I was 16 or 17...

Now I am in Texas getting paid to study them!

Hey Rev!
Sup bro, if you get near Blanco/Austin/San Antonio we can get together, let me know and I'll get you a phone#

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Orchid you are so funny. {D Life is just one big adventure for you. I just carry my blue flashlight, my mason jar under my arm, and my tongs. A poster on here sent me some cool tongs to catch them with. The kitchen ones were too big and bulky. I don't slide them into jars or anything, I just pick them up with those. Haven't been finding any though lately. Pretty soon you won't either. What are you doing with all the ones you are catching?
I figured I'd edit what I said earlier, I did find one tonight, but could not get to it. Just a small one, but I'll be looking for him!!!
And Nomad was right on about the water. Even though I'm only hunting in my yard, it still gets painfully hot here, and I dehydrate fast. So, always have bottled water on hand :)
It doesn't seem like anyone needs anything too odd or special, well, other than a portable MRI and some night vision goggles!! I'll pass on those, and still have no interest in using my bare hands to catch these little monster;)

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It depends on where I will be hunting.

For short treks:

8" tongs
delicups/film containers
flashlight
pocket knife
camera

For jungle treks:
8" tongs
delicups/film containers
flashlight and headlamp
UV light
pocket knife
camera
jungle knife (machete)
water
first aid kit

All this must fit in a small backpack.

Here are some pictures:

Look at my Arachnoholics shirt

Anywhere I go, I always have containers just in case I find something interesting.

Last edited:

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i just recommend a taller deli cup, alot of times i dont even pick them up i just direct them into the container and they run in ;)
as for any thing else just look @ the other ppls post on here

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alakan - WOW, the Philippines is beautiful!! I'm jealous!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phillipine Group Trip! When should we go to the Phillipines? For best weather/scorpion tracking that is. :)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That would be fun wouldn't it. Let's all meet at the Philippine airport and we can hunt scorps with our Philippine tour guide Alakdan. LOL

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sure! The best time to visit is from January - March. The weather is cool but sunny. Daytime hunting is easier, less dangerous.

I know 3 great sites. We found 3 species of scorps all living together in one area. We can go hunting at my farm. About 2 hrs drive from the city.

Warren,

Here's the link for that field trip at our farm. Discussions are mostly in Tagalog. But you can see in the pictures what we found. There's a tokay gecko.
http://www.mypalhs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88173

Last edited:

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW, wish I could do that!!! But don't think my husband would let me run off to another country to look for scorpions in the jungle!!! Don't think he'll let me live my dream of catching a giant Anaconda in the wild either!!! If you all do it, please post TONS of pictures!!!!:D :worship: :D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sounds great, but I can go hunting at night right? It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't. I can deal with just about anything. :D So what do you have that is going to eat me when I go? (figuratively). Any rebel armies?
I can't imagine it being so dangerous you don't want to walk at night at all. :eek: You'd have to have too many jaguars that were all rabid for me to start worrying. I might wear snake gaiters. I might trade in the sandals for some boots. But I still got to go howl at the moon sometimes. (sliver moons better for black light). But it's all good for me. Well, anyway, I don't know about you all, but I think this could be a great trip. Now, to get international round trip airfare, hmmmm....

Sure! The best time to visit is from January - March. The weather is cool but sunny. Daytime hunting is easier, less dangerous.

I know 3 great sites. We found 3 species of scorps all living together in one area. We can go hunting at my farm. About 2 hrs drive from the city.

Warren,

Here's the link for that field trip at our farm. Discussions are mostly in Tagalog. But you can see in the pictures what we found. There's a tokay gecko.
http://www.mypalhs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88173

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sounds great, but I can go hunting at night right? It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't. I can deal with just about anything. :D So what do you have that is going to eat me when I go? (figuratively). Any rebel armies?
I can't imagine it being so dangerous you don't want to walk at night at all. :eek: You'd have to have too many jaguars that were all rabid for me to start worrying. I might wear snake gaiters. I might trade in the sandals for some boots. But I still got to go howl at the moon sometimes. (sliver moons better for black light). But it's all good for me. Well, anyway, I don't know about you all, but I think this could be a great trip. Now, to get international round trip airfare, hmmmm....
you can do it for less then a thousand round trip!! http://www.cheapflights.com/flights-to-manila/los-angeles/

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nomad,

Night hunting is also fine. We don't have jaguars, you will most likely encounter monitor lizards and wild boars. There are also rare sightings of reticulated phytons and cobras.

Rebel armies are not a problem in the areas in Central Luzon that I visit. But I still make it a point to make friends with the local gov't officials and in some cases tribal folks who own the jungle. Once I asked permission to hunt and they were more than happy to provide a guide. The guide knew the jungle really well and led me straight to a spot where we found a lot of scorps.

Philippines,generally, is a safe place to visit. Just don't go without making the proper arrangements ie. accomodation, guides, transportation.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, sounds better and better the more you talk Alakdan! Retics and cobras! In the wild! I think my blood pressure just sky rocketed. I want to meet a cobra in the woods. And you have active tribes? That is awesome too. I have been on a few Native American lands, I have stayed on the Navaho Nation (Denay to them)with a 105 year old matriarch. I like tribal communities. They have a lot of knowledge for us if we listen.

The only thing that would worry me is the boars. Could I carry a spear out there? Thanks a lot Alakdan! :clap: Wow, I am getting excited now. I am going to find a way in the next couple of years to get there. Hopefully this winter, but we will see. That would be a stretch as things stand now. But you never know...

ah-go-naaaaa (good-bye in Denay spelled phonetically), you have to stretch the a at the end! Peace, ryan

Nomad,

Night hunting is also fine. We don't have jaguars, you will most likely encounter monitor lizards and wild boars. There are also rare sightings of reticulated phytons and cobras.

Rebel armies are not a problem in the areas in Central Luzon that I visit. But I still make it a point to make friends with the local gov't officials and in some cases tribal folks who own the jungle. Once I asked permission to hunt and they were more than happy to provide a guide. The guide knew the jungle really well and led me straight to a spot where we found a lot of scorps.

Philippines,generally, is a safe place to visit. Just don't go without making the proper arrangements ie. accomodation, guides, transportation.

marvs08

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nomad,

I totally agree with Ninno on this... We were together on some of his "fieldtrips" or "hunting" escapades... There's no better feeling than being "one" with nature... As for the thread's topic, I suggest you bring a pair of gardening gloves, aside from the thongs... It helps a lot, when the specimen your picking is so tiny for the thongs...

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
marvs08 - I think you mean "tongs". Really now, you don't want to go scorpion hunting in your "thongs". :) Just teasing... :D

Yeah, I wish we could all meet in the Philippines. Well that is certainly one country I would love to visit! Nomad, you would be easy to spot at the airport. You would have on all your camouflage gear and your night goggles and backpack and a spear in your hand. :)