What does this mean ????

GrimGrizzly

Arachnosquire
I was slowly prodding my chaco to get it out of its enclosure. It's about an inch. It kept lifting its abdomen up high, so I left it alone. What does that mean ?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a threat display. If it were an avic it would be preparing the poop cannon.

GrimGrizzly

Arachnosquire
I'm glad it didn't come out then lol. Why would a grammostola pulchripes do that though ?

GrimGrizzly

Arachnosquire
Cause it wants to play ? lol
I get the hint lol

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 12:23 AM ----------

So besides throwing the front of their body up, kicking hairs, and rearing their abdomen. What else should I look out for ?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If their front legs are scrunched up around their face, it means they're frightened/stressed out. Hopefully someone else can provide a photo to demonstrate, I have none.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
If their front legs are scrunched up around their face, it means they're frightened/stressed out. Hopefully someone else can provide a photo to demonstrate, I have none.
I can probably assist with a photo tomorrow. My G. rosea RCF 3.5" female stays in one of three poses all the time. She has her timid scrunched up pose, her threat pose and the just leave me alone look..don't even look at her..lol. Her scrinched up timid pose is deceiving, she will come at ya very quickly if she decides too. She's a joy.:rolleyes:

Forgot, she also likes to stamp her legs on the substrate like a child throwing a tamtrum.

GrimGrizzly

Arachnosquire
Seriously though lol. I know they can through up like a half threat posture. I bought this one to hold. It's wredicules. Hopefully it changes through its molts. If not. I'm just going to sell it after it gets bigger

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 12:52 AM ----------

My lasiodora parahybana doesn't even do this. It'll run back to its hide, or just kick hairs

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 12:54 AM ----------

As far as the blue fangs. How are their attitudes. Mine lets me clean its enclosure I got a little to close to its hide cleaning, and it ran half way up its hide like it was going to attack. lol
I love my T's though, and plan on getting plenty more

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
To appear larger and more imposing.
+1, Which is why the fur stands up on cats and dogs when they're scared or mad, and why a cat arches it back. Looking larger is a common defense mechanism.

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 08:16 AM ----------

My avic avic loves being held. It gives me trouble putting it back into its enclosure

I'd like to think you're advancing to the point where you see how ridiculous claims like that are.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Seriously though lol. I know they can through up like a half threat posture. I bought this one to hold. It's wredicules. Hopefully it changes through its molts. If not. I'm just going to sell it after it gets bigger
Wait what? If you can't hold it you're going to sell it? Why do you want to hold your tarantulas anyways? You seem determined to hold your Ts which is puzzling to me. If you want something to hold and pet then I'd get a mouse or hamster or something. It's really a shame because G. pulchripes are great spiders and a staple in any collection. Perhaps its best for the tarantula anyways they go to someone who cares about them then someone who is put off because they can't hold it. That's troubling to me.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
If you want a small fuzzy animal to hold, buy a hamster.