What is the best first tarantula?

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
DanD5303 said:
Of the spiders recommended here I've got two, G. aureostriata and Pink Zebra Beauty. I'd second Sandra in recommending the G. aureostriata-Chaco Golden Knee. They're attractive, relatively inexpensive, and get big. Ours is a total sweetheart. Dan
The G. aureostriata is one of the ones I have as well, but like the pulchra is also known to be a very slow grower. Mine used to be itty, bitty, teenie, weenie. Then it molted last week and is now just itty, bitty, teenie, tiny. If it were my first, I would definately look around for a juvinile instead of a really small sling. 2" or so would be a good size IMHO.

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. aureostriata

Chacos are a medium grower. Feed them well and watch your temps (75 +) and they will grow. The first pic was taken on 7/13/04.

Last edited:

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nowhereman said:
Chacos are a medium grower. Feed them well and watch your temps (75 +) and they will grow. The first pic was taken on 7/13/04.
I stand corrected. I can't wait till mine gets that pretty!!!

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MountinGal said:
I have recently become fascinated with tarantulas. This happened when my family moved to SE Colorado where Oklahoma Browns are native to the area. As a teacher I have caught and then released a couple of these for my kids to look at, but now I want a captive bred as a pet. I am looking for some "first spider" suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Jennifer
Best first?... Id say a Suntiger

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
BugToxin said:
I stand corrected. I can't wait till mine gets that pretty!!!
It won't be long with each molt the begin to really take on size. When ours was less than the size of a dime it seemed as if she would never grow. :)

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NWM, love the pics of your G.a! Ours is currently practically identical to the size/markings of your first pic. Looking forward to having something like yours in the second one!

Yup to the temps, I can believe that. Our guy seemed to grow quite noticably the first month we'd had him, now it's slowed right down and it happens that it's taking a fair bit of effort to keep our room temps at about 70.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my first was a G.rosea. some ppl say it's a good first, some say it isn't since they they just all act different...mine is as docile as he comes (he is mature but refused to attack full grown crix - only medium size for him), but then there are rosies that are acting as if they are cobalt blues. A.seemanni is a nice one, nice size. so is the pink zebra beauty, chaco gold knee, the B.ablopilosum (curly hair) is real cute...so fuzzy, i personally like aphonopelmas . if you want arboreals i'd say A.avic, A.versi.
hope this gives you some idea
oh before i forget, if you plan on getting them from a petshop...try to see how the act, if they act more docile or aggressive.
i'd go with a breeder/dealer tho (better variety,quality)
check the for sale adds here...at least those are mostly captive born
dianne

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO if you do your research on any species, before you get it, any T can be a good beginner specimen. My first T was a Citharischius crawshayi (king baboon.) Do yourself a favor and just buy one of every species mentioned on this thread.

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
David Burns said:
IMO if you do your research on any species, before you get it, any T can be a good beginner specimen. My first T was a Citharischius crawshayi (king baboon.) Do yourself a favor and just buy one of every species mentioned on this thread.

Good idea. :D Just don't try to pet :evil: a king baboon. ;P

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
David Burns said:
This may be the best advice yet. After I got my first T (an L. parahybana), I waited about three weeks and then bought another three (G. pulchra, G. aureostriata, and yes a P. murinus). The only suprise was how incredibly fast :eek: :eek: the murinus was even at less than 1". Since T's are relatively small pets, and don't really need much care compared to other creatures that we may keep, starting off with two, three, or four might be really good idea. I ceartainly don't regret the four I brought home, and will probably buy a couple more once I convince my wife how beautiful they are. ;)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
BugToxin said:
I ceartainly don't regret the four I brought home, and will probably buy a couple more once I convince my wife how beautiful they are. ;)

If you are successful with that LET ME KNOW HOW !!!

I still have to keep mine in my office at work..

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First tarantula options...

May I suggest the following species for your first tarantula. With these being easy to keep and their docile nature you will have a gentle T to start with.
1) Pink Zebra Beauty (Euphalus campestratus)
2) Honduran Curly Hair (Brachypelma albopilosum)
3) Chilean Rose (Grammastola rosea)
4) Peruvian Pinktoe (Avicularia Avicularia)
5) Mexican Red Leg (Brachypelma smithi)
note* Brachy's have urticating hairs that may irritate your skin.
Most online dealers have slings of these in stock for you to choose from.
Greg :)

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go with an avic, more active than a rose hair or smithi, both having been called pet rocks.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, around and 'round and 'round they spin, in their little(read: think, opaque) webs..

Vicious

Arachnopeon
New New New!!!!

Just wanted to also say Hi and welcome Dont worry your in good hands here alot of seasoned veterans with good advise. {D :clap: :clap: {D :worship: :worship: I'm pretty new myself.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is kicking hairs the only negative to a Brachypelma smithi?
How is their temper?