What is your top 3 genus to keep and why?

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon
I saw a few of these posts in the past but nothing updated since 2020 so if you guys would rather I necro one of them please let me know!

Just curious what everyone’s top 3 genus to keep are and why? Hoping to find some gems I haven’t thought about or heard of.

My top 3 currently are:
1. Pamphobeteus
2. Harpactira
3. Poecilotheria

For the pamphos I just love how big they get. I know other genus's do as well, but the combination of their personalities, size, horn markings, feeding response, and that fact that the mature males are such stunners that you don’t even get upset!

Harpactira is a new one in my top 3. Currently only have a female marksi and pulchripes, but I enjoy them immensely. Always visible, great feeding response, heavy webbers and some stunning colorations have rapidly made me love this genus. I hope to have all available species someday, and perhaps even do my first breeding project with them! Plus, even though they are baboons, and as such can have a temper, I find both of my girls to be extremely shy and laid back.

Pokies. There really isn’t much to say lol. Highly visible, great hunters, BEAUTIFUL coloration and patterning, impressive sizes. Mine are all shy save my regalis and ornata females. They are pretty skittish overall and my ornata is my only old world I have received a threat pose from. Either way, my favorite arboreal genus!

So what genus’s really get you passionate? Hope to hear some good ones!

and this isn’t me saying one is better than the other. With Ts there is something for everyone so keep it civil!
1. Pampho
2. Tlilocattl
3. Vitalius/Nhandu

I only recently got my A Genic, Vitalius Chromatus and Nhandu Caraponesis and I absolutley love all 3. The A Genic is an eating machine, the Nhandu has a great personality and I fell in love with the V Chromatus when I first saw it. My little LP is cute too and a great eater.

I haven’t experimented with looking after aboreals or OWs yet, looking to get a P Cambridgei soon.

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Idiothele - Trapdoor Say No More
Omothymus - Ambusher's Extraordinaire
Phormictopus - Big and Beautiful

Last edited:

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
1. Pampho
2. Tlilocattl
3. Vitalius/Nhandu

I only recently got my A Genic, Vitalius Chromatus and Nhandu Caraponesis and I absolutley love all 3. The A Genic is an eating machine, the Nhandu has a great personality and I fell in love with the V Chromatus when I first saw it. My little LP is cute too and a great eater.

I haven’t experimented with looking after aboreals or OWs yet, looking to get a P Cambridgei soon.
Cam's are eating machines too. Unreal takedowns. Mine has put on more size in a shorter length of time than my genic. Crazy growth rate.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
filmed a few minutes ago
View attachment 472582
I got nervous one time when I put in a huge hornworm. She's right about 5" dls. She kept striking that worm until the worm finally had enough then dragged it back to her burrow. I was impressed to say the least. I gave a worm equal in size to my 7"Rufilata. My Rufilata got spooked 😆

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
That looks awesome! I know if I try aboreals I might either love them or hate them but yours looks really gorgeous and that hunting is awesome 😎
You'll likely love them. Seeing your T scale the walls of the enclosure is pretty awesome. Many start with Avics but I'd just go with a Psalmo. It's up to personal preference, but Cam's are a great choice and cheap.

Niss

Arachnopeon
I don't think I have sufficient experience to give a meaningful list, certainly nothing so esoteric as might appeal to someone looking for things they've overlooked :). But, of what I do have...

[1] Caribena/Avicularia
I admit I'm fond of the arboreals, and these are just so peaceful and easy to care for while looking gorgeous. Hard to beat. Will attach a picture of the beautiful Sister Rosetta Tharpe below just to drive home this point).

[2] Brachypelma
I do like my spiders to be on the docile side and these (generally) do not disappoint. Also rocking the looks that kill.

[3] Eresus (or if this is unacceptable, I'll say Davus)
Yeah, ok - Eresus are not tarantulas; but I dearly love the true spiders and while most are too short lived for me to bother keeping, I love me some velvet spiders. And Davus---I'm very fond of smaller species and this genus is full of some real lookers.

~N

Attachments

Niss

Arachnopeon
what's the difference in appeal in comparison to keeping a tarantula? ( apart from looks)
Well, I'm guilty of being somewhat "looks driven" even with my Ts so the looks alone might be enough, and velvet spiders definitely deliver for me in that department. I do actually do enjoy their feeding behaviour though, they are vicious little predators. Tarantula feeding responses are dramatic, but they tend to all be variations of the "grappler" style of attack. True spiders have quite the varied hunting styles, and the velvet spiders in particular are quite aggressive actively hunting down the prey and sometimes subduing it by beating the crap out of it with its front legs while biting at legs if the prey is large. I find it fascinating to watch.

I enjoy watching the active visual hunters like jumping spiders or wolf spiders even more but they don't live that long sadly (even the mighty Hogna). I get irrationally attached to my spiders and with most true spiders only living a year or so, it bothers me when they die. This is what got me started with Ts actually as they're longer lived spiders; however, the velvet spider and black hole spider are two true spiders I've found that have females live more in the 5ish year range so I do indulge with those.

~N

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
I saw a few of these posts in the past but nothing updated since 2020 so if you guys would rather I necro one of them please let me know!

Just curious what everyone’s top 3 genus to keep are and why? Hoping to find some gems I haven’t thought about or heard of.

My top 3 currently are:
1. Pamphobeteus
2. Harpactira
3. Poecilotheria

For the pamphos I just love how big they get. I know other genus's do as well, but the combination of their personalities, size, horn markings, feeding response, and that fact that the mature males are such stunners that you don’t even get upset!

Harpactira is a new one in my top 3. Currently only have a female marksi and pulchripes, but I enjoy them immensely. Always visible, great feeding response, heavy webbers and some stunning colorations have rapidly made me love this genus. I hope to have all available species someday, and perhaps even do my first breeding project with them! Plus, even though they are baboons, and as such can have a temper, I find both of my girls to be extremely shy and laid back.

Pokies. There really isn’t much to say lol. Highly visible, great hunters, BEAUTIFUL coloration and patterning, impressive sizes. Mine are all shy save my regalis and ornata females. They are pretty skittish overall and my ornata is my only old world I have received a threat pose from. Either way, my favorite arboreal genus!

So what genus’s really get you passionate? Hope to hear some good ones!

and this isn’t me saying one is better than the other. With Ts there is something for everyone so keep it civil!
1. Avicularia - Beautiful, moderately sized spiders that are pretty beginner friendly (as long as you do research!) my first tarantula was an avic and I love her to death
2. Ceratogyrus - Gorgeous species and the horns are so unique! Absolutely stunning spiders that’ll make elaborate tunnel systems if you let them.
3. Pamphobeteus - I am such a big fan of Pampho’s for their beautiful colors and amazing growth rate. My Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma has grown from 3/4ths of an inch to pushing 4 inches DLS in less than a year..

Papiroach

Arachnopeon
1. avics & caribena - Beautiful and relax
2. psalmopoeus - good eater and fast grower
3. Nhandu - Beautiful pink T's with massive appetite and size