What started your T love

Valvool

Arachnopeon
Last summer I noticed a black widow had made her web in a crevasse on my front porch. In the afternoons and toward the evenings I would sit on the steps of the porch and watch her bustling about her egg sacs. The first sac hatched without drawing attention; I held the silk satchel in my hand, having picked it up from the porch where it had fallen, and located a hole the size of a pinhead from which the spiderlings has emerged. A later sac hatched and I did take notice of the event. I was fascinated by the vibrating swarm of baby spiders, the way they hung out in a living mass, moving together. The human reactions to the presence of the widow also interested me. I was universally condemned for not killing her, and yet invariably people drew closer, wanting a better look at her, wanting to see what she was up to, interested in spite of themselves. The same people who shook their heads at me and my dangerous recklessness then proceeded to bring themselves nose to nose with my widow (whom I named Debra). I thought these things but never pointed it out to them. I liked watching how her innocent activities drew them in, people who would normally be frightened of spiders.

Once I got out my camera and a macro lens. I thought it was funny how, when I used autofocus, the lens tended toward the shadow of the spider on the wall of the house, so large and black and spidery, sinister looking, rather than the spider herself, almost as if the lens had an opinion of its own.

Things weren't going well with my job at this time. I sometimes sat on the porch and stared into space, wondering what would become of me. Me and Debra, hanging out:) Later my position in my work became more precarious, and I often sat on the porch steps in the fading sun after getting home at the end of the day, and Debra was always there, out and doing stuff, and somehow her presence comforted me.

In October it got really cold. I was outside one morning, it was wet and windy and dark, and I noticed Debra was gone. Her messy little web was still there though. I grabbed a stick from the grass and began poking at it, intending to clean it from the porch. To my suprise out she rolled, Debra, curled up and dead, a shell, tumbling across the concrete of the porch. I crouched down to get a look at her, sad. She had frozen to death apparently. And yet, for spiders in the while, that is what happens--one season. That's what they get.

As I looked at Debra, she slowly came to life, uncurled herself, began trundling back across the porch and toward her web. I became excited and happy. I sent my grandfather for a mason jar. He punctured a few holes in the lid and I wove a bit of paper towel through once of the holes, moistening it with water. Into the jar I stuck sticks and dead leaves, and then Debra too--and she made herself right at home. She surprised me on Thanksgiving with an egg. And since then with lots more. I kept her on my nightstand, because nighttime is when my anxieties are worst, and the sight of her grooming herself, or cradling her egg (or cradling both her egg and her latest prey item) was nice.

Anyway, my love for Debra led me to research spiders, and logically, spiders as pets. Somehow one thing led to another. That was November. By late February I was a hard core collector, and while most of my collection consists of tarantulas, I do have Debra still, and two wild caught jumping spiders.

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
Did she just steal your heart away? My two roses really took me off my feet with love
Yeah she did. When they first put her on me I will still scared but the longer I held her the more I just kinda fell in love with them. So when we got home I really started reading as much as I could about their care. Then a couple weeks ago a rosie with enclosure was advertised on my local facebook group and I had to have it. The rest as they say is history. :)

Last summer I noticed a black widow had made her web in a crevasse on my front porch. In the afternoons and toward the evenings I would sit on the steps of the porch and watch her bustling about her egg sacs. The first sac hatched without drawing attention; I held the silk satchel in my hand, having picked it up from the porch where it had fallen, and located a hole the size of a pinhead from which the spiderlings has emerged. A later sac hatched and I did take notice of the event. I was fascinated by the vibrating swarm of baby spiders, the way they hung out in a living mass, moving together. The human reactions to the presence of the widow also interested me. I was universally condemned for not killing her, and yet invariably people drew closer, wanting a better look at her, wanting to see what she was up to, interested in spite of themselves. The same people who shook their heads at me and my dangerous recklessness then proceeded to bring themselves nose to nose with my widow (whom I named Debra). I thought these things but never pointed it out to them. I liked watching how her innocent activities drew them in, people who would normally be frightened of spiders.

Once I got out my camera and a macro lens. I thought it was funny how, when I used autofocus, the lens tended toward the shadow of the spider on the wall of the house, so large and black and spidery, sinister looking, rather than the spider herself, almost as if the lens had an opinion of its own.

Things weren't going well with my job at this time. I sometimes sat on the porch and stared into space, wondering what would become of me. Me and Debra, hanging out:) Later my position in my work became more precarious, and I often sat on the porch steps in the fading sun after getting home at the end of the day, and Debra was always there, out and doing stuff, and somehow her presence comforted me.

In October it got really cold. I was outside one morning, it was wet and windy and dark, and I noticed Debra was gone. Her messy little web was still there though. I grabbed a stick from the grass and began poking at it, intending to clean it from the porch. To my suprise out she rolled, Debra, curled up and dead, a shell, tumbling across the concrete of the porch. I crouched down to get a look at her, sad. She had frozen to death apparently. And yet, for spiders in the while, that is what happens--one season. That's what they get.

As I looked at Debra, she slowly came to life, uncurled herself, began trundling back across the porch and toward her web. I became excited and happy. I sent my grandfather for a mason jar. He punctured a few holes in the lid and I wove a bit of paper towel through once of the holes, moistening it with water. Into the jar I stuck sticks and dead leaves, and then Debra too--and she made herself right at home. She surprised me on Thanksgiving with an egg. And since then with lots more. I kept her on my nightstand, because nighttime is when my anxieties are worst, and the sight of her grooming herself, or cradling her egg (or cradling both her egg and her latest prey item) was nice.

Anyway, my love for Debra led me to research spiders, and logically, spiders as pets. Somehow one thing led to another. That was November. By late February I was a hard core collector, and while most of my collection consists of tarantulas, I do have Debra still, and two wild caught jumping spiders.
That is a really beautiful story. It's amazing how much little creatures can add to our lives. Thank you for sharing it.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My origin of keeping tarantulas was when I got in to an argument with my tenth grade Spanish teacher. She said that tarantulas will kill you and are more dangerous than a cobra. I thought this was untrue, so I challenged her. Well, she said that if she was wrong, then I should prove it to her, or I should stop disrupting her class. So I went home that day and researched tarantulas. It was then that I learned there was more then one kind of tarantula and that they are absolutely amazing. I went back to her the next day and told her what I learned, proved her wrong, and educated her. when I got home, immediately went and tried to find where to get one. I now am in possession of 9 T's and 3 M. Giganteus. Soon to be twenty tarantulas in May! Gotta love the LANHM bug fair!

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use to catch and keep P. audax, actually I still do. But that's what got me started.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Come on out here then! Plenty of room!
I probably will find an excuse, like grad school >D
Also I'm p sure Arizona is where my tribe's main base/whatever is

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 02:03 PM ----------

Interesting! I've always wondered about keeping widows.

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 02:04 PM ----------

My origin of keeping tarantulas was when I got in to an argument with my tenth grade Spanish teacher. She said that tarantulas will kill you and are more dangerous than a cobra. I thought this was untrue, so I challenged her. Well, she said that if she was wrong, then I should prove it to her, or I should stop disrupting her class. So I went home that day and researched tarantulas. It was then that I learned there was more then one kind of tarantula and that they are absolutely amazing. I went back to her the next day and told her what I learned, proved her wrong, and educated her. when I got home, immediately went and tried to find where to get one. I now am in possession of 9 T's and 3 M. Giganteus. Soon to be twenty tarantulas in May! Gotta love the LANHM bug fair!
We need more bug fair/reptile shows around here. We have one that's on the weekend, but I haven't been yet due to inconveniences. But I'm sure I'd walk out with 20 Ts and a deserted girlfriend hahaha

Lrntolive

Arachnopeon
My kids got me started. I never thought about T's when I was a kid, even through my 20's. Now that my two sons are 4 and 2, they like to go to the butterfly pavilion near our house once a month. No bugs for sale there, but they have a small T exhibit and they let you hold a Rosie for 2 seconds. After my 4 year old did it without fear, I tried it. Hooked after that. Now I own 12 after just two months. My boys love it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Ospa

Arachnopeon
Mine is the usual story. Girl went to a bar, girl met a guy, girl went home with guy, girl met guys B. Smithi and it was love at first sight. :love: About 15 years later Girl still remembers B Smithi, girl does not remember guy. :biggrin::laugh: (True story )

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
A few years ago i got my first T, it was a juvenile female B.albopilosum about 3" wide. Everyone was hyped about Ts and i was curious why, so i jumped into the bandwagon lol.

Now she is 6" and is currently under pre-molt. I'm also lucky to have a one of a kind B.albo as mine had reddish brown exoskeleton and hairs throughout her life giving her an impression of being a "RCF".

Now i'm stuck with 6 female adult Ts and i want at least 3 adult females more :D

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
How can a teacher be so ignorant? I mean, geeze, there is the internet.

---------- Post added 03-28-2014 at 02:30 PM ----------

My kids got me started. I never thought about T's when I was a kid, even through my 20's. Now that my two sons are 4 and 2, they like to go to the butterfly pavilion near our house once a month. No bugs for sale there, but they have a small T exhibit and they let you hold a Rosie for 2 seconds. After my 4 year old did it without fear, I tried it. Hooked after that. Now I own 12 after just two months. My boys love it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Wow I wish I had you as a dad! Everyone told little Eli, NO IT WILL ESCAPE AND KILL US
So I just kind of stuck to keeping garden spiders ):

---------- Post added 03-28-2014 at 02:32 PM ----------

Mine is the usual story. Girl went to a bar, girl met a guy, girl went home with guy, girl met guys B. Smithi and it was love at first sight. :love: About 15 years later Girl still remembers B Smithi, girl does not remember guy. :biggrin::laugh: (True story )
Hahahaha that must have been one memoriable smithi!
Funny story though

---------- Post added 03-28-2014 at 02:32 PM ----------

A few years ago i got my first T, it was a juvenile female B.albopilosum about 3" wide. Everyone was hyped about Ts and i was curious why, so i jumped into the bandwagon lol.

Now she is 6" and is currently under pre-molt. I'm also lucky to have a one of a kind B.albo as mine had reddish brown exoskeleton and hairs throughout her life giving her an impression of being a "RCF".

Now i'm stuck with 6 female adult Ts and i want at least 3 adult females more :D
What new 3 girls are you thinking of picking up?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I am limited with what pets I can have here (no dogs or cats.) I was looking for something that was low-maintenance, fun to watch, cheap, quiet, didn't smell, and didn't take up much space. Ended up getting a G. pulchripes sling and a G. pulchra sling shortly after. I'm hoping that at least one of them is a female, so I have a nice thick spider in a few years.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I started out with a G. rosea thinking that it would be my one and only tarantula..... needless to say I was wrong. I have 8 now and am looking forward to getting a new addition or two in the future.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Crickets. When I was young I was terrified of crickets and grasshoppers. One day I saw a wolf spider take out a big grasshopper and the wheels started to turn in my head, more spiders=less grasshoppers. So I started my breeding project of spiders thanks to NOVA I learned to look for the boxing gloves and that I could keep them in simple jars and then release them in the spring. I have moved out of true spiders since then and figured with a job I could now afford T's with mine and my boyfriend's collection numbering at 15; I also got over my fear of crickets after years of catching them for my true spiders.

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
I dont call it love. I call it obsession!! Thats how it all started one look and i was hooked. A cage turns into a t room. A t room turns into a t house!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I always hated tarantulas and other spiders growing up, but a few years ago seeing a T. Stirmi at a local zoo that I worked at sparked my interest. Soon after that I started studying them more in depth and they become more and more interesting to me. Now present day, I'll be keeping some T's in a few months! Haha

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Both of my hamsters died of old age, and the kitchen felt a little empty. Wanted to get something new that was low-maintenance and fun to watch. I always thought tarantulas were cool as a kid, so I started researching them and eventually got G. Pulchra and G. Pulchripes slings.

Andy Sherwood

Arachnopeon
I'd been keeping reptiles for years and met a few keepers. I had always liked spiders, but never thought about owning tarantulas, not sure why. I decided to buy 2 Lasiodora parahybana, within a month I had 10. I was hooked.

I now own around 120 tarantula and have lots of other inverts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk