What will eat mold?

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
So my T’s enclosures all had a little mold growing under their water bowls I dug it out and in my P machala who just loves water I put some isopods in but it’s moving real slow is there any bigger mold eaters anyone had had luck with? I’m just scared the mold will kill my little family. Thank you!

Attachments

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
So my T’s enclosures all had a little mold growing under their water bowls I dug it out and in my P machala who just loves water I put some isopods in but it’s moving real slow is there any bigger mold eaters anyone had had luck with? I’m just scared the mold will kill my little family. Thank you!
Mold isn't overtly harmful to T's if at all. Can add springtails and also let it dry out just a little bit. Be wary of the isopods...if their population blooms, depending on the species, they could be a threat to a molting tarantula. Just keep an eye on things. Oh, more ventilation can help as well.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
with the larger cages just move the dishes around allow dirt to dry out. personally i prefer deli cups versus dram vials easier to dig out for rehouses so i would just rehouse the slings into well vented deli cups

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Mold isn't overtly harmful to T's if at all. Can add springtails and also let it dry out just a little bit. Be wary of the isopods...if their population blooms, depending on the species, they could be a threat to a molting tarantula. Just keep an eye on things. Oh, more ventilation can help as well.
So I have the hero cults which have all 4 sides plus the top ventilated. I’m using jungle mix with coco fiber and creature mix. I’m wondering if I should just use topsoil? I do keep my warm at 72-73 degrees too. That’s good to know I didn’t know springtails could hurt a T!!! lol I was reading old threads on mold and some said it was bad but I thought white mold was ok just ugly. K I’ll keep an eye to make sure they don’t boom out of control!! Thank u😘

with the larger cages just move the dishes around allow dirt to dry out. personally i prefer deli cups versus dram vials easier to dig out for rehouses so i would just rehouse the slings into well vented deli cups
Omg my first rehouse from the deli cup was so stressful I thought I was going to stress my sling to death!! Finally I just pulled it all out and down he came…he was fine😂 thank you!!!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
So I have the hero cults which have all 4 sides plus the top ventilated. I’m using jungle mix with coco fiber and creature mix. I’m wondering if I should just use topsoil? I do keep my warm at 72-73 degrees too. That’s good to know I didn’t know springtails could hurt a T!!! lol I was reading old threads on mold and some said it was bad but I thought white mold was ok just ugly. K I’ll keep an eye to make sure they don’t boom out of control!! Thank u😘

Omg my first rehouse from the deli cup was so stressful I thought I was going to stress my sling to death!! Finally I just pulled it all out and down he came…he was fine😂 thank you!!!
:rofl:try doing it one handed from a wheelchair:rofl::rofl:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Unless mold gets this bad no reason to panic .

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Unless mold gets this bad no reason to panic .
Ok thank u!! lol ur advice has always helped and been spot on so I’ll relax a bit. Plus I’ll start rotating the water dish to different corners!!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
I Will Eat Mold.
One of My Favorites is Danish Blue Cheese.
Springtails will also eat mold.
Don't know what they're favorite is.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Google it 😉
I did but I hate getting 2 completely different answers😭 here I know u guys will give me correct advice!! But yes google has helped me in a pinch more then I can count!!!

I Will Eat Mold.
Springtails will also eat mold.
Don't know what they're favorite is.
Ooommmggg best answer ever!!!! Hahahaha your favorite is also my dad and sisters favorite!!!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I Will Eat Mold.
Get it cold and crumbly and sprinkle on pizza after baking to avoid losing flavor. Add Limburger the same way for extra aroma.
What's the difference between average animal containment and cheese ageing rooms? Serious question.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Get it cold and crumbly and sprinkle on pizza after baking to avoid losing flavor. Add Limburger the same way for extra aroma.
What's the difference between average animal containment and cheese ageing rooms? Serious question.
Hey this is actually a really good tip!!! I love feta on pizza I’m going to do it this way now💕

The Snark

Old Timer
Hey this is actually a really good tip!!! I love feta on pizza I’m going to do it this way now
The meeting of two entirely different worlds. The terrarium and cheese. From the Marin Cheese Company to a milk expert biologist in Wisconsin to a brief tour of cheese makers given me by a cheese consultant mycologist in Switzerland. Cheese and most moist terrariums are all about mold. Their culturing or suppressing.

Which brings us to the ultimate pizza with a nod to Angelo, chef, restaurateur and his numerous Italian cooking fanatic ancestors.
Do NOT use 'Pizza' sauce. The ideal weapon of choice is a light flavored tomato pasta sauce of which there are as many versions as there are kitchen commando family cooks that make them.
Top very sparingly with a bland mozzarella to establish the base of the topping.
Sun dried flavor concentrated tomatoes are next. From chopped tidbits to slices. Their use is both flavor and art as you decorate your masterpiece. Also use them as demarcation lines to denote the areas of the cheeses.
As for cheeses, the sky is the limit. From aged cheddar to Feta, Gorgonzola, and on out, if a weak bite is desired it gets melted with the cooking but the real flavors come from being sprinkled on just before or at the dinner table. Go light on the Parmesan, best used as the chorus in your edible orchestration.

Last edited:

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
The meeting of two entirely different worlds. The terrarium and cheese. From the Marin Cheese Company to a milk expert biologist in Wisconsin to a brief tour of cheese makers given me by a cheese consultant mycologist in Switzerland. Cheese and most moist terrariums are all about mold. Their culturing or suppressing.

Which brings us to the ultimate pizza with a nod to Angelo, chef, restaurateur and his numerous Italian cooking fanatic ancestors.
Do NOT use 'Pizza' sauce. The ideal weapon of choice is a light flavored tomato pasta sauce of which there are as many versions as there are kitchen commando family cooks that make them.
Top very sparingly with a bland mozzarella to establish the base of the topping.
Sun dried flavor concentrated tomatoes are next. From chopped tidbits to slices. Their use is both flavor and art as you decorate your masterpiece. Also use them as demarcation lines to denote the areas of the cheeses.
As for cheeses, the sky is the limit. From aged cheddar to Feta, Gorgonzola, and on out, if a weak bite is desired it gets melted with the cooking but the real flavors come from being sprinkled on just before or at the dinner table. Go light on the Parmesan, best used at the chorus in your edible orchestration.
Omg LITERALLY drooling right now!!!! That sounds so so good!!!! Wish I was an expert pizza maker!!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

As for cheeses, the sky is the limit. From aged cheddar to Feta, Gorgonzola, and on out, if a weak bite is desired it gets melted with the cooking but the real flavors come from being sprinkled on just before or at the dinner table. Go light on the Parmesan, best used as the chorus in your edible orchestration.
Cheese 🫕 🧀 is its own topic .. mold is involved but it’s not the same thing as the nasty growths coming from my coco fiber . your a cheese expert ! 😃

The Snark

Old Timer
Wish I was an expert pizza maker!!!
You are. Create your own masterpieces through trial and error. Reading about terrariums I think back on that mycologist who would view the growths in terrariums as edible or not, and what flavors they would have.
Memories of Pumpooey restaurant and the chefs 4 cheese pizza where the customer chooses the cheeses from a rather long list. More than 4 tends to overwhelm the palate