What would be recomended as safe temperatures for shipping over seas?

GG80

Arachnoknight
I have some extra cash and am itching to add to my collection. However, as I live in Ireland I have to get my supply from the UK which can take up to 3 days from dispatch to delivery. Its currently around 5-7 celcius (41-45F), still to cold for a 3 day transit, but it is begining to get warmer here.

What do you think is a safe temperature to wait for so I can order?

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I think that temperature is fine to ship in. The bigger issue would be the three day travel in this case. You guys don't have overnight shipping options?

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I've ordered spiders at those temps from Denmark and Germany(to Finland) with only little problems. From small true spider slings to juvie tarantulas, only one true and two t slings didn't make it out of about two dozen spiders. It's all about packing.
But sure it's safer to wait for the weather to warm a bit.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
If 41F-45F is your low temp, then you'll be fine with a 72 hour heat pack, if the package is on time. If it's one day late it could go either way, you might lose something to hypothermia or maybe not. It's a bit of a gamble shipping this time of year.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I think that temperature is fine to ship in. The bigger issue would be the three day travel in this case. You guys don't have overnight shipping options?
I've recieved packages from UK before during the Summer months which took 3 days and everything was fine. The dealer takes very good care in the packaging, the slings were very healthy on arrival. There's no guarantee on an overnight shipping as the package has to go through multiple depots to get it over seas and then to me. All it takes is one courrier not making it on time and the package is delayed. As I said, the 3 day delivery is fine and half the shipping costs of a 24 hour delivery (more money for Ts) :).
I just don't like the idea of Ts in a cold warehouse for 2 nights hence the original question about temps. Thanks for the response though.

---------- Post added 02-16-2015 at 04:33 PM ----------

If 41F-45F is your low temp, then you'll be fine with a 72 hour heat pack, if the package is on time. If it's one day late it could go either way, you might lose something to hypothermia or maybe not. It's a bit of a gamble shipping this time of year.
Well it does get colder over night, it has gone down to 1-2C some nights over the past week. But I am not considering ordering yet as It would be a gamble as you say. I'm more than happy to wait but just wanted an idea of what temps would be suitable without risk of the spider getting too cold.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
If it gets colder at night then you should wait till temps are above 40F for a low or pay for overnight shipping. 3 days is too risky with high temps of 40F

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You need to talk to an importer, like Paul Becker, to get an idea on shipping and temps.

cold blood

Staff member
If it gets colder at night then you should wait till temps are above 40F for a low or pay for overnight shipping. 3 days is too risky with high temps of 40F
This...its not the highs you should be paying attention to...its the lows. I would make the purchase when your lows are over that 40 degree mark...until then, I'd wait, especially regarding a 3 day trip.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the replies. I just want to make it clear that I was not planning on ordering yet, I know it is too cold to take the chance. I just wanted to know what you guys would recomend as a safe temperature so I would know when to think about placing an order. Anyhow, I emailed the dealer so I'll wait to see what he says. In the mean time I'll just wait and add to my tarantula fund :).

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies. I just want to make it clear that I was not planning on ordering yet, I know it is too cold to take the chance. I just wanted to know what you guys would recomend as a safe temperature so I would know when to think about placing an order. Anyhow, I emailed the dealer so I'll wait to see what he says. In the mean time I'll just wait and add to my tarantula fund :).
If you are willing to share any feedback you get from Paul (I assume thats the dealer you reference) on this question, it would enhance the utility of this thread and I, personally would love to hear what he says. Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
If you are willing to share any feedback you get from Paul (I assume thats the dealer you reference) on this question, it would enhance the utility of this thread and I, personally would love to hear what he says. Thanks!
Dude's in Ireland...I highly doubt he's ordering or calling Paul...hehe

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Haha. Good point. Because it was suggested that he contact Paul Becker I just assumed that he had jumped on the idea. When he says "dealer" yes, he is probably talking about someone else. My mistake.

Still, would be grateful for info on what they say, if there is any more info on the original question.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I am a worrier, so if I were considering shipping 3 day I would be looking for temps with lows at 50 F or above. It would probably be fine lower than that, but I personally wouldn't want to chance it.

GG80

Arachnoknight
As cold blood said, yes I'm in Ireland :). The dealer I was reffering to was Lee from The Spider Shop in the UK. I didn't mention the name earlier as I wasn't sure if it was appropriate as this isn't the reviews/buy and sell forum.

Anyway he got back to me and said they only ship over seas from late March to November which I think is very responsible on their part and a good sign that the spiders are a priority over the sales.

So now I have to wait another 6-8 weeks but I will have a nice T fund by then:).

I suppose I should have just went straight to the source to begin with rather than start a new thread. Oh well.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I am a worrier, so if I were considering shipping 3 day I would be looking for temps with lows at 50 F or above. It would probably be fine lower than that, but I personally wouldn't want to chance it.
My thinking is temperature consistency with no extremes. Short of perfect 70F-75Fdegree weather; I would want it consistently cold enough that a hot pack wouldn't roast them and consistently hot enough that a cold pack wouldn't chill them.
I guess my day will arrive and I'll ship a T at some point; and I will probably have some nagging concerns until T arrives safely.