When is the gap between beginner and intermediate bridged?

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Lol in the armpit eh? See I knew I was on to something when I said everyone learns differently hah.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Again, excellent advice. While I have seen others butt heads with you on some of your replies I rather enjoy your blunt honesty, it shows you care about the hobby. Not to mention you have a ton of experience so people should probably just shut up and listen.
Thanks, but I'm not an expert. I've had tarantulas on and off for over 40 years and like to share what I've learned. You're right about me caring about the animals and the hobby. I want future generations to be able to have the experiences and enjoyment that we do.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Correct care and common-sense provided, I don't see you will :D
Only scorpion injury I got wqs from being pinched by an emp. Pet store employee was grabbing by its legs and tail to show it off, and it began flailing for its life. Freaked out the employee and people watching. I told him just give it to me before it gets hurt, and I reached out knowing full well I had a pinch coming. Took the pinch, let it calm down and then told them I'd buy it. I also then had to correct the employee's bs story about how dangerous and aggressive emps can be. I replied, "If you reach in like a moron and pull am animal up by its legs, of course it is gonna defend itself." What sucks is a mother and son (probably ten or so) were interested, but the employee's idiocy turned them off from buying a "dangerous animal". Did my best to change their minds, but i couldn't do it.

---------- Post added 09-19-2014 at 11:56 AM ----------

Ah come on people! You havent lived until youve had an adult female Stromatopelma calceatum sitting comfortably inside your naked armpit!
I see you calceatum and raise a MM P fera racing across fingers during a cage transfer. :)

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Hah good job keeping your cool getting pinched. I understand a pinch from an adult can be pretty bad if you are unfortunate enough to have it happen. When they crunch adult dubias like crackers I can totally see why lol.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Hah good job keeping your cool getting pinched. I understand a pinch from an adult can be pretty bad if you are unfortunate enough to have it happen. When they crunch adult dubias like crackers I can totally see why lol.

It takes practice. Not reacting getting pinched by an emp helps when actual possible dangerous situations occur, like the P fera racing over my fingere when I was pulling him out to get him into the female's enclosure. *This* is why I, Poec, Advan, Philth and other longtime keepers (not experts mind) advise patience and taking it also and in steps. When the emergency happens, what *you* do is crucial. Flinching when on of the most venomous spiders on earth crawls onto your flesh unexpectedly leads to terrible consequences. You *must* be able to remain calm for the safety of the animal, yourself and others. We don't say it to look cool or be high and mighty or that we are special. We say it because it is a fact that muat be in mind at all times and only patient learning and experience will get you there.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Yeah I gotcha man, understood. Don't worry I don't think you are saying these things to appear cool, I never said that, actually I said quite the opposite if u read my posts lol. But thanks for sharing! There really is a huge amount of cumulative experience on this forum that newcomers and "squires" like myself should seek to benefit from.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Upon maturation, one night, as you sleep, Stan Schultz will slowly descend from the ceiling, pin an Intermediate Tarantula Keeper badge on your jammies, tap you lightly on the chin and say "Atta boy/girl" and then, just as quietly, ascend.
Not at 240 pounds, he won't! LOL!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
*This* is why I, Poec, Advan, Philth and other longtime keepers (not experts mind) advise patience and taking it also and in steps. When the emergency happens, what *you* do is crucial. Flinching when on of the most venomous spiders on earth crawls onto your flesh unexpectedly leads to terrible consequences. You *must* be able to remain calm for the safety of the animal, yourself and others. We don't say it to look cool or be high and mighty or that we are special. We say it because it is a fact that muat be in mind at all times and only patient learning and experience will get you there.
+1. I learned that discipline with cobras; I had them for 9 years, 150 at my peak. You have to stay calm and in control of the situation, there is no other option. Think of what they can do in any given situation, and what you can do to prevent that from happening. OW tarantulas were easy after cobras.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
+1. I learned that discipline with cobras; I had them for 9 years, 150 at my peak. You have to stay calm and in control of the situation, there is no other option. Think of what they can do in any given situation, and what you can do to prevent that from happening. OW tarantulas were easy after cobras.
is that why these NW seem so predictable? iv worked with cobras and other pitvipers and only 1 T has made me raise a brow.. and it was a 1" lasiodora sling rearing at me LOL but i myself still dont feel like im ready to take the leap unless i find balfouri XD but always personal prefferance. i just feel if i jump into ow so soon ill get big head and get my first ever hot tag -.- LOL

gobey

Arachnoknight
I got a confidence boost quick after working hands on with supervision with an OW sling and an OBT adult. I still do. And that led to acquiring more. I never kept wild animals or venomous animals. I've been swimming with sharks however for 6 years. So I'm used ro caution and unpredictable animals. In their element even. But I was always very comfortable in the water. And even though sharks can be unpredictable, they usually are very uniformly behaved. The species I've been around at least. No bull sharks or tiger sharks. I'm all set with ever diving with those two. No whites yet.... That's still a pretty spooky one.

Now tarantulas..... Well same principle of caution and respect applies. But it's a whole new ballgame. A while new type of animal to learn. And they're so small. It's MUCH different to me. And it's been manageable.... So far.... But part of why I don't like to give advice to newbies on much other than my adult NW terrestrial Ts or my B. albo slings, is because I have no experience really yet. None that really counts at least. I have a few stories. But it doesn't make me an advanced keeper because I have advanced species. I can't tell some newb "I've got an OBT and it went just fine! Because I don't know how it went yet really. It hasn't been long enough. Especially with the slings. That's the true test I think. The adult is in it's last ever house. But the slings. They'll need to move many times. And they're spastic. And easier to lose. That's a scarier notion to me than the adult OBT making a dash toward the one smallest top slot I do all her maintenance with using 18" tongs and a turkey baster. And waiting until I can cover her in her hide with a cup to clean her poo stains and web.

Anyways. Ask me about your "I just got a rose haired" issues. That stage I passed. That I can help with lol. Still a new guy. Just with a different starting set of Ts than recommended by most. Take it for what it is. I know I did it and I know I've made some embarrassing mistakes. I also take notes on all of them. Hopefully I'll think of myself as advanced one day. Even if I have all the same tarantulas.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
is that why these NW seem so predictable?
Most NW terrestrials defensive response is kicking hairs. It's very effective and discourages many intruders without the spider having to make contact with them. OW's lack the hairs and their defense strategies are typically: holding still and hoping they're not seen, running very fast, threat poses, and biting. In comparison, NW's seem much more predictable.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Most NW terrestrials defensive response is kicking hairs. It's very effective and discourages many intruders without the spider having to touch them. OW's lack the hairs and their defense strategies are typically: holding still and hoping they're not seen, running very fast, threat poses, and biting. In comparison, NW's seem much more predictable.
Mine dont kick just bolt x3 even my 4" genic just runs xp