Where to get good dung for dung beetles?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I use pig all the time, mainly for trapping. I collect it at the local zoo and it works wonders for attracting dung beetles. I imagine wild pig/boar would be potentially more dangerous than pet pig dung.

Rabbit does I think work, but only as adult food, they won't oviposit in it.
Just keep in mind the rule of thumb is pig poop always assumed to carry leptospira (leptispirosis). Observe normal infection control protocols when around it.

Last edited:

Bug Bane

Arachnopeon
I just had a moment of clarity. If you have dairy's in your area they are heavily restricted as to what, if any, chemicals go into the animals.

When I think back over my years working at ranches and stables... 'Yes, we have chemical free poo. How many tons do you want?' I once drove a Massey Fergusen tractor to death trying to clean up a neglected horse stable. It finally took a D8 Caterpillar a week to get the place clean enough to put up for sale. Ever try to hide a 30 foot tall half a football field sized poop mountain?
*Walk in*
“I’m not sure how to say this, but can I have some poop, please? I would like it not too soft and definitely not too smelly. Thanks.”