Whip spider lose her whips :(

Justthatguy

Arachnopeon
I recently got a Weygoldtia hainanensis whip spider but unfortunatly she lost both whips in shipment.Now she have trouble in feeding which she cannot catch live prey (dubia roach approximately 1/2 of her body).I have tired to incapacitate the roach but she can't sense it.Any advice for feeding her?Thank you for all for reponding to this post.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
they can scavenge, i would opt for that, make sure its dark so it feels safe to come out and explore

not sure how much their senses will be reduced though considering they are modified into feelers

Justthatguy

Arachnopeon
Thank you for answering! And I also want to ask that how often does a smaller whip spider species molt? Not sure if the size affects.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
not sure i only keep E. bacillifer, i would expect every couple months while its still growing

MSobczak

Arachnopeon
I've had a similar situation occur in the past. I placed my amblypygid in a 32 oz deli cup with a tilted piece of bark, and provided alive but crippled prey items. She ate well and eventually molted and recovered both of her whips! Amblypygi are equipped with other sensory organs besides their antenniform legs, so she should still be able to hunt. Maybe try feeding her a cricket or red runner, the movement might entice her more than a dubia.

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
I have read studies where amblypygi very much struggle to find pre-killed prey items when both their whips are removed.

Maim it or leave prey as is. It likely dropped it's whips due to stress, and trying to baby it will stress it out even more - causing it to not eat, a self fulfilling prophecy.