White clustered specks in enclosure

SinCityMAC13

Arachnopeon
20191113_222155.jpg

So I noticed several clusters of white micro ping pong ball looking things. Pretty sure it's poop, but wanted some input from the community. Any thoughts? They don't move and it flakes off when touched.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Guys, how do you know that's not her proud collection of 'game balls' from all her Roach Pong tournaments?

You don't know.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Actually, the more I look at it, the more I think it's mold.
Feces just doesn't have that very round ball form to it, very different shape. And these things are arranged in little clusters, which is also suspect. Also, feces has a different, paste-like consistency.
I don't get this white mini-ball type of mold, but I have seen it in videos. From what I've gathered, it seems to be one of the ones that can kinda take over.

So I'm learning toward mold, and I would watch to make sure it doesn't go crazy. I would increase ventilation and, as long as that's a drier species and has a water bowl, I would let the enclosure dry out.

Last edited:

SinCityMAC13

Arachnopeon
Actually, the more I look at it, the more I think it's mold.
Feces just doesn't have that very round ball form to it, very different shape. And these things are arranged in little clusters, which is also suspect. Also, feces has a different, paste-like consistency.
I don't get this white mini-ball type of mold, but I have seen it in videos. From what I've gathered, it seems to be one of the ones that can kinda take over.

So I'm learning toward mold, and I would watch to make sure it doesn't go crazy. I would increase ventilation and, as long as that's a drier species and has a water bowl, I would let the enclosure dry out.
I am not sure its mold.. the picture doesnt really show due to the angle, but the white dots are on the side of the deli cup and not in the substrate itself. I dont mist and I keep the sub dry so there wouldnt be a way for mold to form.

Feral

Arachnobaron
I am not sure its mold.. the picture doesnt really show due to the angle, but the white dots are on the side of the deli cup and not in the substrate itself. I dont mist and I keep the sub dry so there wouldnt be a way for mold to form.
Mystery abounds! Will our hero, @SinCityMAC13, ever find the answers? *dramatic music*

lol I don't know. You can see it better than I can. I guess ultimately it doesn't matter either way as long as it doesn't take over. (I just like trying to unravel a mystery. :))

I have seen it in videos grow on anything, including sides of enclosures and on web. Sometimes even ambient humidity is enough for mold, even in an otherwise dry enclosure. (But, yes, substrate moisture def makes it way worse.) And humidity will be higher around the water dish and in the burrow, which is where you're seeing it.
Where was it I most recently saw the same little white balls kind of mold?... um... Oh! It was on one of Dark Den's most recent video where he rehoused. In that case it was a Chilobrachys I think, and it had the tiny white balls covering the web and sides of the enclosure. I think it's about 2/3 of the way into the video, if I remember.
But of course you can see it better than I can, since I'm looking at a photo and you can see it in person.

From what I've seen, pee/poop is usually a blob or smear. If it's super solid/formed, then it is just not so round in shape (it's more oblong in shape, since it has to be pushed through the anus) and it's not shaped that consistently, all pieces evenly matching in shape and size like that.

But in any case, you can see it better than me. You could always try seeing what happens when you try to smear it with a moistened cotton bud. Or better yet, put some of the balls on top of a pre-1980 penny, add a drop of water and let it sit for a few minutes, then dab the water with a plain white paper towel to check the color of the water. If it's blue, then it's tarantula pee/poop.

Mysteries are fun! :D

How will the mustery unfold? Stay tuned! *dramatic music*

Last edited:

SinCityMAC13

Arachnopeon
Mystery abounds! Will our hero, @SinCityMAC13, ever find the answers? *dramatic music*

lol I don't know. You can see it better than I can. I guess ultimately it doesn't matter either way as long as it doesn't take over. (I just like trying to unravel a mystery. :))

I have seen it in videos grow on anything, including sides of enclosures and on web. Sometimes even ambient humidity is enough for mold, even in an otherwise dry enclosure. (But, yes, substrate moisture def makes it way worse.) And humidity will be higher around the water dish and in the burrow, which is where you're seeing it.
Where was it I most recently saw the same little white balls kind of mold?... um... Oh! It was on one of Dark Den's most recent video where he rehoused. In that case it was a Chilobrachys I think, and it had the tiny white balls covering the web and sides of the enclosure. I think it's about 2/3 of the way into the video, if I remember.
But of course you can see it better than I can, since I'm looking at a photo and you can see it in person.

From what I've seen, pee/poop is usually a blob or smear. If it's super solid/formed, then it is just not so round in shape (it's more oblong in shape, since it has to be pushed through the anus) and it's not shaped that consistently, all pieces evenly matching in shape and size like that.

But in any case, you can see it better than me. You could always try seeing what happens when you try to smear it with a moistened cotton bud. Or better yet, put some of the balls on top of a pre-1980 penny, add a drop of water and let it sit for a few minutes, then dab the water with a plain white paper towel to check the color of the water. If it's blue, then it's tarantula pee/poop.

Mysteries are fun! :D

How will the mustery unfold? Stay tuned! *dramatic music*
Interesting!! I will give it the old penny test tonight and report back! Stay tuned!

Dun dun daaaaaaa!

Moebius

Arachnopeon
The smallest, foulest tasting Tic-tacs you've ever eaten, no matter how much your tarantula insists otherwise. "It's 0 calories and all organic maaaaaan."

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It's not mould. I wish people would be more adventurous and just stick your finger in it and find out. Even if you don't want to use your finger - wet a piece of paper towel, cotton swab, whatever, and rub it off. Feces will smudge and smear immediately and mould will not.

Feral

Arachnobaron
It's not mould. I wish people would be more adventurous and just stick your finger in it and find out. Even if you don't want to use your finger - wet a piece of paper towel, cotton swab, whatever, and rub it off. Feces will smudge and smear immediately and mould will not.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of putting my fingers in enclosures. And I wouldn't tell someone else to do it, either. You do what you like, of course, but I don't think it's responsible to recommend something to others that could be unsafe. That's why I said cotton bud specifically. Or take it out and do a chemical reaction test.

SinCityMAC13

Arachnopeon
Update.. definitely spider poop. I tried rubbing it with a wet cotton swab and it smeared immediately. Mystery solved.

Thank you all for the help!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont think it is poop, i have never seen poop looking like that. They are round in the picture, it looks mire like eggs of some sort? I am thinking eggs from some pest like Phorid flies, fungus gnats or something else! I dont claim i am right, and it can be some kind of mould maybe, but i dont think so?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I dont think it is poop, i have never seen poop looking like that. They are round in the picture, it looks mire like eggs of some sort? I am thinking eggs from some pest like Phorid flies, fungus gnats or something else! I dont claim i am right, and it can be some kind of mould maybe, but i dont think so?
T poop comes out like that all the time. Little round white things. I see it all the time on the sides of my enclosures.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, yes you are maybe right. But the poop in my enclosure is more like the poop of a seagull! Lije chalkwhite large speks