White stuff on sling’s mouth

AsianCaillou

Arachnopeon
My sling has some white stuff right below its fangs. Last night I did feed it a dubia roach and the sling struggled a bit to kill it, but of course eventually killed it and ate it. Today now I notice there is white stuff on its mouth. Any clue what it might be, is it dangerous?

Attachments

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Probably nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it and ensure the enclosure isn't supporting mold growth, check ventilation as well. Probably poop though as mentioned above.

AsianCaillou

Arachnopeon
Alright thanks, that’s gross lol, wonder how’d it get poop on its mouth…

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Alright thanks, that’s gross lol, wonder how’d it get poop on its mouth…
They can do it to reclaim moisture. Make sure it's got a water dish 😍

But rule out worst case scenario...what Darkfinder said

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Potty Mouth? let's hope so,
Nematodes? I hope not, another possibility is Phorid Fly Larvae?, Once again I hope this too is not the case.

Last edited:

AsianCaillou

Arachnopeon
Could be nothing, but...

It might be a nematode infection. Isolation and supervision is the first step. If you notice more symptoms then we have to have a very different conversation.
If it is how would I be able to tell besides the white stuff? And how’d it even get it so I could prevent it in the future

Edit: Nevermind read about it some more, I’ll watch around and keep updated

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If it is how would I be able to tell besides the white stuff? And how’d it even get it so I could prevent it in the future

Edit: Nevermind read about it some more, I’ll watch around and keep updated
Here's a video on a phorid fly infestation :/

Nematodes are naturally occuring in the soil I guess, but things that eat the soil pick them up, like earthworms, then those things get eaten and it's thus transferred.

Less common in captive breeding, more common with wild caught specimens.

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
If it was parasitic nematodes, it should not have been able to eat. When the white stuff is visible, it is pretty much end of the line. There is a thread somewhere on arachnoboards that links to a very interesting thing on nematodes and the symptoms to look for. I would not go as far as to say “thats not what it is”, but further reading on subject could help you determine for yourself if it is a possibility. Also, if it is parasitic nematodes, the pedipalps should, in general, be close to the body and non functionnal pretty much when the “white” stuff is noticeable.

(The thread i had found is named Nematodes? And the link is in post #40)

I read some interesting things in the book “Biology of spiders” about the way they digest. There are also “fluids” that can appear after eating and when cleansing.

About the roach… how big was it compared to your sling?

Last edited:

AsianCaillou

Arachnopeon
If it was parasitic nematodes, it should not have been able to eat. When the white stuff is visible, it is pretty much end of the line. There is a thread somewhere on arachnoboards that links to a very interesting thing on nematodes and the symptoms to look for. I would not go as far as to say “thats not what it is”, but further reading on subject could help you determine for yourself if it is a possibility. Also, if it is parasitic nematodes, the pedipalps should, in general, be close to the body and non functionnal pretty much when the “white” stuff is noticeable.

(The thread i had found is named Nematodes? And the link is in post #40)

I read some interesting things in the book “Biology of spiders” about the way they digest. There are also “fluids” that can appear after eating and when cleansing.

About the roach… how big was it compared to your sling?
Sorry for the late reply, I did not notice more responses until now, the roach and sling were pretty close in size, that being around an inch. I figured it wouldn’t be much of a problem considering it’s a roach and the sling was riding on the back most of the time. I’m a little concerned up to this point because I tried feeding the sling a little while ago today and it sort of approached the food and touched it and kept twitching until it decided to turn around and move away. It looked like it wanted to attack and eat it but it didn’t. Again the dubia was around the same size. I’m going to buy smaller prey and try that way.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Prekill the feeders before tossing them in there in the interim

If too afraid to eat they are missing out on a huge portion of their hydration requirements

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Also, if the roach is the same size as your sling, it’s too big. The sling shouldn’t be riding on its back. I feed prey that are around the length of its abdomen. Some say carapace. Dubias also have a harder shell. Possible fang damage? If that’s the case, it’s roach/cricket soup.

AsianCaillou

Arachnopeon
Also, if the roach is the same size as your sling, it’s too big. The sling shouldn’t be riding on its back. I feed prey that are around the length of its abdomen. Some say carapace. Dubias also have a harder shell. Possible fang damage? If that’s the case, it’s roach/cricket soup.
Oh okay, I’ll keep that in mind, hopefully it is roach soup, I’ll also get smaller feeders for it today

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Oh okay, I’ll keep that in mind, hopefully it is roach soup, I’ll also get smaller feeders for it today
Let’s hope this isn’t the case, but I meant if there is any fang damage, you will need to make roach soup to feed her until she molts again. How is her mouth looking now? Any change? Can you see the full fangs?

AsianCaillou

Arachnopeon
Let’s hope this isn’t the case, but I meant if there is any fang damage, you will need to make roach soup to feed her until she molts again. How is her mouth looking now? Any change? Can you see the full fangs?
Ohh okay, I thought what you meant by roach soup was just the guts all over its mouth lol, mb, don’t know too much terminology. But yes the white stuff sorta cleared up a bit, you can still see it but it isn’t as big as before and you can see the fangs now, am glad it’s clearing up :)

AsianCaillou

Arachnopeon
Update, just fed the sling a tiny mealworm, and it snatched it from the tongs immediately:D, I guess it could’ve been poop after all and didn’t wanna eat the roach because of its hardness and size, thank you all for your help!!!