Why is handling a "T" a prerequisite for beginners?

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
dotdman said:
On the other hand, I have been known to hold my Parabuthus leiosoma. The last time was this Christmas when I took the opportunity to show my much younger cousins that scorpions aren't the terrible frightening bity things that most people around here would have you believe. I also have two very very calm Parabuthus leiosoma, so that tends to make it easier.

Kindest kindest,

Kevin P.
I have a P.leiosoma that reacts very aggresively when her tail is grasped. She locks on with her claws and then continues to hold on and then sting as soon as her tail is let go.
I think it was because the guy I got her from seems to be a "teaser" with his pets. Poking and prodding.
He picked up an A.australis by the tail barehanded and let it sit on him, after just coming in from shipping. I asked him afterwards if he knew that they could also grab and hold on to sting whatever grabbed them when they let go (at least from what I've been told and read), of the stinger? He said no, that cannot. Off topic sorry.

I don't handle my T or scorps. at all. I don't want to hurt them. I don't want them to hurt me. And they remind of a wool blanket. That moves. Wool blankets make me itch like fiberglass insulation.

Wool blankets suck. Tarantulas rule. Don't wear your tarantulas.

dotdman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tend to not grasp any of my scorps by the tail, I typically just brush my P. leio's onto the palm of my hand and go from there (like I said, mine seem remarkably docile when compared to my other buthids).

And the wool blankets analogy is going to stick with me for years to come ^_^.

Kindest kindest,

Kevin P.

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For me, these are 100% display animals and the only contact I've ever had was by accident (run up my arm or I burshed into one cleaning it's enclosure).

Personally, I get tremendous enjoyment out of building attractive set-ups for display and seeing how the animals interact within them. Most of my collection is housed very utilitarian, but the few that wind up on display are much more interesting. The actual maintance of the animals themselves is therapy in itself too. After a hard day at work, I can come home and lose myself in my own private jungle of T's, Snakes and Lizards. I'm watching my large male Jungle Carpet climb a tree in his enclosure right now. I just finished his constructing his "permanent" set up of 6'x4'x7'5" and I am really pleased he likes it (he's a retired breeder of mine, so he gets special treatment :worship: ). Oh, I rarely handle my snakes either. :)

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I only got my first t in October this year (a very calm rosie) and I will freely admit to handling her. I feel I'm responsible enough to go about this in the correct way (ie I always hold her while I'm on a bed or couch or whatever) and there is always someone I can shout on if she crawls aroundmy back (however she is so docile and slow moving she has never been able to get that far).

I don't see what everyones problem is with beginners handeling t as long as they are responsible and the t itself is a docile one. :(

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crunchie said:
I only got my first t in October this year (a very calm rosie) and I will freely admit to handling her. I feel I'm responsible enough to go about this in the correct way (ie I always hold her while I'm on a bed or couch or whatever) and there is always someone I can shout on if she crawls aroundmy back (however she is so docile and slow moving she has never been able to get that far).

I don't see what everyones problem is with beginners handeling t as long as they are responsible and the t itself is a docile one. :(
I don't think it's so much a beginner thing as much as the fact that T's don't care to be handled and as responsible keepers it probably isn't right to unduly stress an animal in our charge. From what I've read, Arachnids in general don't posess the retentive power to remember from one experience to the next so a hand may ALWAYS be considered a threat or a predator. Naturally, this is a theory, but it's one I subscribe to.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If a hand was always seen as a threat to a t then why wouldn't it show defensive behaviour? I've seen my rosie react very aggressively to a male that I introduced to her cage yet she has never so much as raised a palp when I handle her.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
chris73 said:
I don't think it's so much a beginner thing as much as the fact that T's don't care to be handled and as responsible keepers it probably isn't right to unduly stress an animal in our charge. From what I've read, Arachnids in general don't posess the retentive power to remember from one experience to the next so a hand may ALWAYS be considered a threat or a predator. Naturally, this is a theory, but it's one I subscribe to.
While whether one should handle a T or not is more a matter of choice. Of course their are risks involved, both to the T and the owner. However, I doubt seriously that a tarantula has the capacity to either like or dislike being held. If it is skittish or shows signs of aggression, then obviously it does not want to be held. However, if it is coaxed unto your hand and freely walks up on it, it obviously does not feel threatened or stress by this and therefore at this moment does not mind being held. Being a lower life form, this may change quite quickly. This gets back to the risk issue, which each person must decide for themselves if they are acceptable or not.

Are T's perfectly content with being left alone, obsolutely. If they don't show signs of signs of stress (by retreating or a threat display) and can be coaxed unto your hand, they probably simply see your hand as an extension of their environment. Its another piece of ground to stand on. They are probably thinking: "Hey, after I walked over here, I stopped getting tapped in the butt. This works for me." That is, if they could think.

As long as the risks are understood and care is taken, there should be nothing wrong with handling a tarantula. Is there a distinct benefit to the tarantula by being held, no. Does the owner get some benefit from this, possibily. Is there an absolute, universal truth that states tarantulas cannot be handled, I don't think so. It really is a matter of choice.

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like I said, it is just a theory I've read that I agree with. :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
chris73 said:
Like I said, it is just a theory I've read that I agree with. :)
True, you have stated this is your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to. However, you may want to refrain from stating "as the fact that T's don't care to be handled". This is not a fact, it is an opinion. Do feel free to give the pro's and con's of handling a tarantula. I am not trying to alter your opinion, just clarifying that a few statements made are not truly facts.

Being a primative creature, it is fairly easy to determine if the animal is stressed or not. Use the response of the tarantula to determine if it is stressed, not a blanket statement that handling one automatically stresses it.

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like I said, it is just a theory I've read that I agree with.

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
chris73 said:
Like I said, it is just a theory I've read that I agree with.
I apologize Chris if I came across too strongly. It is not you in particular and yes, you did say it was a theory you held to be true.

At times, I just get annoyed when people (not you in particular) state opinions or supposition as fact.

Again, my apologies.

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cool. :cool:

I may be too rigid in my thinking as well. I always assume NONE of my animals want to be handled (including the damn cat) and I treat them as specimens not really pets (well, not the cat).

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel I'm responsible ...so do we

Crunchie said:

I don't see any problem with a newbie holding T's. ;) I think you have done your homework, know what to expect and how to handle the situation at hand. :D
We handle T's that will allow it and leave the others alone. Our experience: There is nothing like holding a T in the palm of your hand to admire , examine and study. To this date none of our T's have been harmed and they have never tried to harm us. :)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With Avics, I think that you do need to handle them when you're cleaning their cage. And considering how much they shoot the sides of their cages with poop, that's going to happen more frequently than terrestrial Ts. Given that and the fact that they _very_ rarely bite and do not shoot hairs, I think that they are an exception to the no-handling rule.

Karen N.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Handling T's...

This is a much debated issue. It comes down to personal choice whether to handle any T or not. T's are not like gerbils or cats who like to be "petted".
The only ones I get out are avics, aphonopelma's, PZB and my curly hairs.
The rest I leave be. In over 20 years of keeping these I have never been bit and want to keep it that way.
;P :)

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nowhereman said:
I don't see any problem with a newbie holding T's. ;) I think you have done your homework, know what to expect and how to handle the situation at hand. :D
We handle T's that will allow it and leave the others alone. Our experience: There is nothing like holding a T in the palm of your hand to admire , examine and study. To this date none of our T's have been harmed and they have never tried to harm us. :)
:clap: :worship: Thats whit ah'm sayin'!

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the reason why handling is not suggested for beginngers is cus of this danger

being bitten and ending up in hospital

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. maculata is not a beginner T

G_Wright said:
the reason why handling is not suggested for beginngers is cus of this danger

being bitten and ending up in hospital
I really don't mean to be an a**. But isn't that when you were bitten by an Ornamental Baboon (Heteroscodra maculata) ?
Would you recommend this type of T to a beginner who wants to handle a T ? I certainly hope not. Would you reccommend this T be handled at all ?
I wouldn't.
This T is for the experienced keeper and does possess significant venom.
This thing is a world away from a rosie or chaco....right?

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think most beginners are afraid of large spiders and the prospect of handling them represents a final conquering of that fear.