Why is my A. Geniculata more active when it's colder?

RufusLoacker

Arachnopeon
My A. geniculata is more active when it's colder rather than when it's warm. Why?

I have a setup with a heat mat + thermostate on the backside because I cannot heat the whole room to appropriate temps (she's in my living room).

I noticed that if I keep the temperatures as the guides say (around 27°C during the day and 24 in the night) she spends the majority of the time stuck to the glass where the mat is.

I'm trying now a different approach, where I simply not let the temps drop lower than 21°C, and she seems much more active, roaming around the tank.

Since she's my first T I still can't recognize her behaviour and I can't say which one of those is "better" for her: she might be going around because she's looking for a warmer place, or she might stay on the glass to avoid excessive moisture?

Pic is the enclosure. She also has a water dish. Second pic shows how moist I keep the substrate.
1715284625378.jpeg 1715284725045.png

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If it’s colder at nighttime it’s just a coincident because they’re nocturnal. My temp are generally 70 degrees f to max 77 f during hottest part of summer .

cold blood

Staff member
I noticed that if I keep the temperatures as the guides say
Dont read the "guides"....they will lead you astray

she spends the majority of the time stuck to the glass where the mat is.
And this is the potential danger of a direct contact heat mat. If you need to heat, try heating a larger aquarium and places the t enclosure within that....this takes a potentially dangerous direct heat and turns it into a safe secondary heat, essentially creating a micro-climate.

, where I simply not let the temps drop lower than 21°C, and she seems much more active, roaming around the tank.
Well 21C is a pretty normal temp to keep the t at, it doesnt need anything more than that.

RufusLoacker

Arachnopeon
And this is the potential danger of a direct contact heat mat. If you need to heat, try heating a larger aquarium and places the t enclosure within that....this takes a potentially dangerous direct heat and turns it into a safe secondary heat, essentially creating a micro-climate.
Thanks for your help! I followed the heat mat guide on here, since the room still gets quite cold at night, and unfortunately I don't have the space for an additional tank.
I will try to simply not use the heat mat but still check the temps with the thermostat to monitor the situation.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
This one?