why would she bite me........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane247

Arachnosquire
ok i get it but i just wanna know if the cricket chirping or extra feeding made her agressive. no one has answered that yet and i would like to know for future reference so i know when not to bother her

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
ok i get it but i just wanna know if the cricket chirping or extra feeding made her agressive. no one has answered that yet and i would like to know for future reference so i know when not to bother her
I don't know but I doubt it.

But maybe next time, if you prod her (don't use your hands!) and she reacts defensively, consider that a sign not to bother her.

Sidi

Arachnopeon
"She was bred in captivity" but she is not domesticated! Its still a wild animal, it was just bred in captivity, she still has all her wild instincts, so she will be unpredictable just like a wild animal.

insane247

Arachnosquire
i guess i just should not assume that her not biting until today does not mean never. like you cant say "i have not died yet. so that means im never gonna die"

Sidi

Arachnopeon
Basically it means she will bite whenever she pleases, take the warnings and handle her based on those warning, I'm no T expert, but from the predators Ive kept my motto is "you handle something that can bite, be prepared to be bitten"

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your T cannot hear a chirping cricket. They don't have ears, They use their setae (bristles) to sense changes in air currents caused by sound waves. She would only "sense" the chirping if the cricket were inside her enclosure.

As far as feeding goes, your T could go much, much longer than a week without food and still be fine. I wouldn't have thought that the extra feeding caused the bite. It doesn't sound like a food response from your description.

I know G. rosea is seen as the standard starter T within the hobby but I don't agree. They just happen to be the most commonly stocked species in petstores. IME there are other species that make much better first Ts. I'd usually recommend B. albopilosum (curlyhair) to someone wanting to get into the hobby before mentioning G. rosea.

Oh, and I agree with xhexdx when it comes to emotions. You can't equate a tarantula's brain with a mammal's. They possess extremely rudimentary brains (ganglions) that are incompatible with experiencing emotions.

Good luck :).

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Your T cannot hear a chirping cricket. They don't have ears, They use their setae (bristles) to sense changes in air currents caused by sound waves. She would only "sense" the chirping if the cricket were inside her enclosure.

As far as feeding goes, your T could go much, much longer than a week without food and still be fine. I wouldn't have thought that the extra feeding caused the bite. It doesn't sound like a food response from your description.

I know G. rosea is seen as the standard starter T within the hobby but I don't agree. They just happen to be the most commonly stocked species in petstores. IME there are other species that make much better first Ts. I'd usually recommend B. albopilosum (curlyhair) to someone wanting to get into the hobby before mentioning G. rosea.

Oh, and I agree with xhexdx when it comes to emotions. You can't equate a tarantula's brain with a mammal's. They possess extremely rudimentary brains (ganglions) that are incompatible with experiencing emotions.

Good luck :).

Mate... they still hve endorphines.... so just because they are lacking in the massive brain department means they can't feel emotion? Lol you're sadly mistaken because if that's how it is then what about people with mental disabilities or illness? Can they no longer feel emotion? Yes they can lol and back onto the endorphines part. Do you know why some people resort to chocolate in the state of depression? Chocolate releases an endorphine from your brain causing your mood to alter. Making you "feel happy" just like epinephrine aka artificial adrenaline synthetic endorphines. And tarantulas do have endorphines. So saying they cannot posses emotions is very wrong indeed.
Oh and just because I give mammal examples does not mean I am implying they are the same. To be defensive over something you have to have an emotion towards it. If you didn't you wouldn't care if someone was bothering you you wouldn't defend bite kick hairs or warn off. Lol they simply would not care. Why do you think a female tarantula protects her egg sac? Because she doesn't care? Rofl

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mate... they still hve endorphines.... so just because they are lacking in the massive brain department means they can't feel emotion? Lol you're sadly mistaken because if that's how it is then what about people with mental disabilities or illness? Can they no longer feel emotion? Yes they can lol and back onto the endorphines part. Do you know why some people resort to chocolate in the state of depression? Chocolate releases an endorphine from your brain causing your mood to alter. Making you "feel happy" just like epinephrine aka artificial adrenaline synthetic endorphines. And tarantulas do have endorphines. So saying they cannot posses emotions is very wrong indeed.
Oh and just because I give mammal examples does not mean I am implying they are the same. To be defensive over something you have to have an emotion towards it. If you didn't you wouldn't care if someone was bothering you you wouldn't defend bite kick hairs or warn off. Lol they simply would not care. Why do you think a female tarantula protects her egg sac? Because she doesn't care? Rofl
Okay, if you can post any scientific papers that show that tarantulas can feel pleasure, sadness, anger etc., I'll agree with you. It's my understanding that no such studies exist (not saying they don't, just that I'm not aware of them). I'll be honest and say that I haven't done any research into the subject in a while so maybe the papers are out there.

I'm completely open to the evidence if you can link to some.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Google spiders on drugs. There was a big study about spiders on several types of drugs injected into there diet is how I think it happened. And throwing up a threat display is anger in itself... I mean not trying to talk down to you at all but being irritated and kicking hairs is showing emotions that's common sense.... but yeah anyway there has been some study though and it was proven there is effect.

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I disagree with that xhexdx how does it not have moods? They are a lifeform right I mean a cat is only a cat but it can be a bit moody aye? I dog is a dog but it can them around and bite at any point because of a mood. I mean if a dog has a broken leg it is in pain right? Obviously. and you can have owned it for years so it knows you right? Right. then one day you while its limping around. you pet it. it growls at you. is that not a mood? It is only a dog after all? That's like saying a spider can feel pain. and how do you explain the whole spiders on drugs ordeal? I mean they used caffeine and caffeine is a mood altering substance through endorphines. causing you to be hyper and such. changing your mood. and spiders do have endorphines do they not?

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Yes all spiders have "character" and moods
You cannot compare a primitive mygalomorph with a mammal{D Spiders dont have those "mood" feeling such as boredom, happines, sadness etc.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

so today i went to pick up my rosea. i usually guide her into my hand. the first touch or two usually startles her, but she calms down and realizes it's just me and walks into my hand. today she flinched, then the second time i touched her she kicked a hair off on me. she did that three times and then i decided to leave her alone, but she was in the way of where i put the hide so i tried to move her so i would not crush her leg or something and she bit me!

the reason why this is so wierd is because i have had her since october and she has never shown any agression to me before. sometimes she is scared but once she knows it's me she calms down. she has never so much as kicked a hair off on me let alone bite me! and she is not molting because she just ate 3 crickets yesterday. (i gave her more than usual because i could not get to the pet store last week and she went almost a week without food)

can anyone tell me reasons why a dostile breed like this and a member of it that is dostile compared to others would bite when i did nothing that i dont normally do? i am so gob-smacked about this whole thing
Realizes it's just you!!??

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
You cannot compare a primitive mygalomorph with a mammal{D Spiders dont have those "mood" feeling such as boredom, happines, sadness etc.

Please read my entire post.... I clearly stated just because I use that as an example does not mean I am saying they are at all the same....... that's all need be said than you for your time rofl oh and please don't undermind animals you cannot possibly ask them whether or not they feel emotion thus no one knows so your statements and mine are nothing but theory.
There for we honestly cannot say who is right or wrong only agree to disagree.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
getting bit.

she was bred in captivity, and nothing else has changed like temperature, humidity etc. but i did ask perhaps no one saw, i said there has been a chirping cricket in this new batch. could the sound of the cricket make her agressive. because i see it all the time in reptiles where when they know there is food around (smell, sound etc) or they know it is time to eat they behave agressively and will often bite, and it is not a mistake of thinking the hand is food or whatever. they just act agressive when they want to eat. so can the sound of the cricket cause her to be agressive like how reptiles do?

and she has never molted since i bought her. but i dont think that is the cause because she is not refusing food or drinking extra and she moves around the cage a lot.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

My son once owned a rose hair tarantula and held it everyday without incident for almost a year.Then the day came where he went to take her out of her enclosure and she threw a threat display and would not allow anyone to pic her up again.It happens and rose hairs are notorious for changing like this for no apparent reason,it happens and you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why,but they will never act predictable no matter how long you own it and everything that lives can have a bad day.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This thread is a joke. Spiderman24 and insane247 have no idea what they're talking about, and no idea about tarantula (or other mygalomorph, or other arachnid, or other invertebrate) anatomy.

I mean, really.

On top of all that, no insane247, your G. rosea was not bred in captivity. She was wild-caught and imported.

the reason why this is so wierd is because i have had her since october and she has never shown any agression to me before.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
insane247.Do yourself a favor and use the search function and read the reports on rose hairs and i think you will find your rose hair is acting just like any other rose hair.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i guess i just should not assume that her not biting until today does not mean never. like you cant say "i have not died yet. so that means im never gonna die"
Correct.

Endorphins ("endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid peptides that function as neurotransmitters. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food, love and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being.

As you can see from the definition a simple perusal of wikipedia can bring, these neurotransmitters are very different from the chemical cues and signals that drive behavior in invertebrates. Please rethink your response in a less anthropocentric way. I believe you will find it is received much better by the community in such a fashion.

You also may want to see a doctor about your inappropriate and uncontrollable bouts of laughter. Perchance rolling on the floor laughing is indicative of a chemical imbalance of your neurotransmitters.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Yeah xhexdx is always out to make someone look like they don't know what they are talking about so take his comments with a grain of salt although he did teach me to use the search much better!! But dont know if they have so called moods I bought an adult female chaco about 2 years ago...I used to hold her all the time, nothing changed to my knowledge and she hasn't let me hold her in about 6 months. So you can call that what you want but it sounds like a mood to me.

Last edited:

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Correct.

Endorphins ("endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid peptides that function as neurotransmitters. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food, love and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being.

As you can see from the definition a simple perusal of wikipedia can bring, these neurotransmitters are very different from the chemical cues and signals that drive behavior in invertebrates. Please rethink your response in a less anthropocentric way. I believe you will find it is received much better by the community in such a fashion.

You also may want to see a doctor about your inappropriate and uncontrollable bouts of laughter. Perchance rolling on the floor laughing is indicative of a chemical imbalance of your neurotransmitters.
Then how would caffeine effect a spider? And dmt? Dmt being the adrenaline gland of a monkey.... you are quite correct as I said this was only my thoughts and I figured if such said "drugs" effect us the matter they do then how could they effect a spider using the same chemical make up?

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why would you tell him your gonna tag his computer. You say he's accting like a child but you just accted way more childish. And no i'm not friends with Joe, but really what you just was ignorant. If you don't like what he says there's an ignore button for a reason.

OP:
why would you keep messing with your t after the first defensive strike?
This is the reason I never handle my tarantulas.

Matt

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
And Brisbane!!!! I got drunk for the first time ever in Brisbane lol good times! (I'm from Perth)

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Why would you tell him your gonna tag his computer. You say he's accting like a child but you just accted way more childish. And no i'm not friends with Joe, but really what you just was ignorant. If you don't like what he says there's an ignore button for a reason.

OP:
why would you keep messing with your t after the first defensive strike?
This is the reason I never handle my tarantulas.

Matt
Fair warning sailor.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Yes childish but I feel fair warning was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.