Wild Isopod in Psalmopoeus Enclosure--ID?

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I did a late night bed check on my Ts and was surprised to see this little guy in my one planted enclosure. I think it's just a common Armadillidium vulgare isopod, does that seem right? I have to imagine it was a baby or egg that hitchhiked in the roots of one of my plants (which I did wash, but obviously he was resilient!).

I tried to fish him out this morning, but he rolled up and scampered away. I'm tempted to just leave him alone--it won't reproduce, and has plenty of food, and would seem to be pretty low risk to a 5"+ Psalmopoeus. Anyone have something similar happen? The enclosure has dwarf whites (which are always underground) and springtails, but no large isos of any kind. Seems thriving and healthy with lots of activity and plant growth.

IMG_4283.jpeg

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
My money is on the already established White Dwarfs Out-Competing It.
lol

Last edited:

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Fair point--I hadn't considered that because the dwarf whites never surface, so I figured this one would just forage around on top and they'd never cross over. I have a gecko enclosure with dwarf whites and powders, and as far as I can tell they're both living in there (it's hard to say 100% because the dwarf whites are nearly invisible, but I clearly see the powders regularly on the surface).