Worried about my B Vagans

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Additional pics...

My friend is selling his female and I might get it for him... haha Question. They are both the same size. will they be able to mate in maturity? or will the male outgrow and eventually die before the female becomes ready?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How big are the two vagans in question ? it's hard to tell from your pic.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A little over 3 inches, sir. thanks for the reply.

I'm not an expert but at that size you should be OK to mate them in a moult or three. Now that being said, slow down the feeding on the male to let the female " catch up " to insure she is ready.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
meal worms... Is this ok? Sometimes I give it in beetle form after they pupate...

Mealies are fine. 10 years ago that 's all that was available in most places as a store bought food source. Many adult T's today grew up on them !

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mealies are fine. 10 years ago that 's all that was available in most places as a store bought food source. Many adult T's today grew up on them !
cool! thanks, man. I am beginning to think that my Ts will lack some necessary nutrients from eating mealworms alone...

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man Sir Mixalot must have been talking sbout your T when he sang "Baby got Back" LOL{D Nice looking T

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool! thanks, man. I am beginning to think that my Ts will lack some necessary nutrients from eating mealworms alone...
The nutritional requirements for tarantulas aren't well known. Tarantulas will grow up on virtually any foodstuff just fine without problems. Tarantulas are frequently raised on diets composed of the same animal in it's entirety. I've seen tarantulas raised on superworms, mealworms, crickets and the same species of roach without any problems.

I would just put a water dish in the male's enclosure and just stop feeding him for awhile if you're concerned about making the right M/F size ratio. Tarantulas can go for years without eating as long as they're properly hydrated. A dramatic drop in the amount of feeding will keep the male the same size while if you feed your female a little bit more, it will make her grow faster.

One person on here kept a G. rosea at half an inch for four or five years just by not feeding it. Another female from that same sack which was fed normally was full grown at the end of the experiment.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The nutritional requirements for tarantulas aren't well known. Tarantulas will grow up on virtually any foodstuff just fine without problems. Tarantulas are frequently raised on diets composed of the same animal in it's entirety. I've seen tarantulas raised on superworms, mealworms, crickets and the same species of roach without any problems.

I would just put a water dish in the male's enclosure and just stop feeding him for awhile if you're concerned about making the right M/F size ratio. Tarantulas can go for years without eating as long as they're properly hydrated. A dramatic drop in the amount of feeding will keep the male the same size while if you feed your female a little bit more, it will make her grow faster.

One person on here kept a G. rosea at half an inch for four or five years just by not feeding it. Another female from that same sack which was fed normally was full grown at the end of the experiment.

Very valuable inputs. Thanks!!! This will really help me in my being a newbie!

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very beautiful T you have there, congrats on the molt.

Btw, what are you using for substrate? look like peat/soil/vermiculite.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very valuable inputs. Thanks!!! This will really help me in my being a newbie!
No problem. Anytime.

Just let me clarify something...

I'm not saying starve your male completely...just feed him a lot less. Keep an eye on his abdomen. Don't let it shrink. When it starts to get noticibly smaller, feed him. Not until then.

This should be about once a month or so, depending on temperature.

My male B. auratum just moulted and went from half the size of my female, to three fourths that size.

Right now, in my collection I am doing the same thing as you.

He's going to get a roach as soon as his fangs are the proper color, but he's not going to get another one for at least a month.

The size of his feeders is also gonna decrease. He'll be going from one full grown lobster roach per week, to one half grown lobster roach per month.

The temperature in my apartment is also going to be going down from 77* to 68*...assuming I can figure out my thermostat. :rolleyes:

Last edited: