Worried about my*Euathlus sp. Red

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
3 days ago I got her and she has been sticking to the sides of her deli cup or hanging upside down on the top she has fallen a few times but I have her substrate high enough so it's just bigger than her dls I'm wondering if she wants more space to roam or what.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
A lot of T's will do that if the substrate is damp or still moist

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
A lot of T's will do that if the substrate is damp or still moist

the pet store had been watering there t's for the whole week at once and her substrate is still damp should I go get a bag of coco fiber for her this is my first T and I don't want her getting hurt.

famish

Arachnopeon
I have noticed that they do tend to "roam" more than some other terrestrial tarantulas (Grammostola and Brachypelma for comparison anyway). How big is the tarantula? Is it a sling? I usually provide a horizontal slab of cork bark for my adult ground dwelling species so they have both a hide and the top of the slab with a different texture to walk on. Like scorpio said, perhaps the substrate is too moist.
Hope this helps.

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
If it is really damp, then I would switch it out. But any new coco fiber should be moistened first or else it is really "fluffy" to start. Either way the sub will be moist for a bit. If the current sub is only moist, then I would just let it dry on it's own

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
I have noticed that they do tend to "roam" more than some other terrestrial tarantulas (Grammostola and Brachypelma for comparison anyway). How big is the tarantula? Is it a sling? I usually provide a horizontal slab of cork bark for my adult ground dwelling species so they have both a hide and the top of the slab with a different texture to walk on. Like scorpio said, perhaps the substrate is too moist.
Hope this helps.
she is a good 1.5-2 inches if she stretches

here is a pic of her setup that the store gave her.

but I don't really trust them since I saw a pool of water in there Megaphobema robustum's enclosure .

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
Setup looks fine, but I would put ventilation holes around the side. Cross - ventilation is better than just top ventilation.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
Setup looks fine, but I would put ventilation holes around the side. Cross - ventilation is better than just top ventilation.

I'll put more holes in as soon as I can.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
That set-up is much too small for a near adult Euathlus. Something bigger, like a shoebox or a large KK would be much better suited. Along with a good hide and a water dish.

Puddles in a M.robustum enclosure aren't good BUT a dry enclosure would be almost as bad. That particular species is a swamp dweller (which it seems your LPS took a bit too literally).

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
That set-up is much too small for a near adult Euathlus. Something bigger, like a shoebox or a large KK would be much better suited. Along with a good hide and a water dish.

Puddles in a M.robustum enclosure aren't good BUT a dry enclosure would be almost as bad. That particular species is a swamp dweller (which it seems your LPS took a bit too literally).
I'll go get one asap.

Ya I think they were using pure vermiculiate for its enclosure I wanted to get it but I read it was a very skittish and defensive species.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'll go get one asap.

Ya I think they were using pure vermiculiate for its enclosure I wanted to get it but I read it was a very skittish and defensive species.

Many tarantulas are described as skittish and defensive, the trick is to make the spider as comfortable as possible; though you will of course get some outstanding individuals in the defensive department. Though good on you for not getting on above your skill level, hopefully someone will pick it up, I have wanted one for a while but I don't have much room for many more Ts.

Kritter Keepers, sterlite containers and plastic show boxes will all be appropriate, you just need to drill some holes into the latter two and make sure your feeders don't crawl out of them.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
Many tarantulas are described as skittish and defensive, the trick is to make the spider as comfortable as possible; though you will of course get some outstanding individuals in the defensive department. Though good on you for not getting on above your skill level, hopefully someone will pick it up, I have wanted one for a while but I don't have much room for many more Ts.

Kritter Keepers, sterlite containers and plastic show boxes will all be appropriate, you just need to drill some holes into the latter two and make sure your feeders don't crawl out of them.
one of the many things this message board has taught me is start small and work your way up :)

famish

Arachnopeon
re: enclosures

Circular plastic cookie enclosures work well too. I get mine from Trader Joe's (ginger cookies) but pretty much any market should have some type of cookies in a clear plastic "tin".
Enjoy the cookies and you have your enclosure. The 8 or 10 inch ones work well and they are fairly shallow.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
Well i was finally able to get a critter keeper and some coco fiber substrate and set up Natasha's enclosure but the cork bark i bought wouldn't fit into the critter keeper kinda sucks but o well she instantly starts climbing everywhere and for the first time i can see her laying down lines of web. Is this her just getting comfortable in her new environment. I was a few days late feeding her so i dropped in two small crickets and am going to leave them in there overnight if she hasn't eaten them by the morning i will take them out.

TCVulpes

Arachnopeon
for the first time i can see her laying down lines of web. Is this her just getting comfortable in her new environment.
If she's anything like mine the entire substrate will be covered with a thin lining of web as well as most of the walls. Mine webbed so much the substrate looks silver rather than brown. Once that was done she began looking for hides. The one I provided seemed okay for a couple of days until she decided another was required. At that point she burrowed out a good third of the substrate under the water dish and made a small tunnel under there.

Now, every few weeks she'll decide it's time to change things up and begins rolling up the webbed substrate into what ends up looking like a small hay bails and webs what's been exposed.

This being my first T and my second only being a sling I can't really say if these are the most interesting T's out there however I can say mine has brought and continues to bring much entertainment.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
ya i woke up today to get the bolus's of the crickets and i cant find them at all only thing in her enclosure is her and her water bowl lol so she must have been hungry but im wondering if i should give her two more just to make sure or is that a bad idea ?

cold blood

Staff member
ya i woke up today to get the bolus's of the crickets and i cant find them at all only thing in her enclosure is her and her water bowl lol so she must have been hungry but im wondering if i should give her two more just to make sure or is that a bad idea ?
Wait a few days. You know it received nourishment, that's what count's, not that its stuffed with every meal. Also, the more you feed at once, the less frequently you need to feed, and the more you increase the likelihood of it deciding to fast. They're more entertaining, to me at least, when they are at least a little hungry.;)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

No, it doesn't. These prefer dry setups with a moist spot somewhere in the enclosure. Not to mention that for a T that size that isn't a burrower, that cup is wrong. It would be suitable for a juvie arboreal, but not a terrestrial. Put her in something with more floorspace, give her dry sub and moist one corner (for example overflow waterdish). Then let her settle in for a week.

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
No, it doesn't. These prefer dry setups with a moist spot somewhere in the enclosure. Not to mention that for a T that size that isn't a burrower, that cup is wrong. It would be suitable for a juvie arboreal, but not a terrestrial. Put her in something with more floorspace, give her dry sub and moist one corner (for example overflow waterdish). Then let her settle in for a week.
She is in a new enclosure now of dry coco fiber