Wow Old Age

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Never knew a bird that old could breed! Very cool. Hope she makes it past 100!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
A Barrel Sponge estimated at 2300 years.

A Ocean Quahog (Clam) estimated at over 500.

Jonathon the Giant Tortoise born c. 1832... do the math.

The Oldest Living Thing according to tree ring data is a Bristle Cone Pine Tree.
Known As " Methuselah " located in Eastern California... Four Thousand Eight Hundred Fifty Three.

" I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer, the future's uncertain and the end is always near "

Last edited:

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Yeah I think I've heard about the tortoise... those animals alone are freaking awesome and you didn't even mention ones like the Turritopsis dohrnii

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Recently learned about the Greenland shark (Somniosis microcephalus). They can live for 500 years which is absolutely insane. 🦈

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
One Theory on Greenland Sharks Longevity is it's very slow metabolism due to living in the Deep Cold North Atlantic Waters.

A Very Cool Fish, They Get Big too ...

Last edited:

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
There’s a parasite that specifically targets the eyes of Greenland sharks causing them to go blind. You can sometimes see them when looking at pictures of the G sharks. I know it’s off topic but the more you know😆

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
One Theory on Greenland Sharks Longevity is it's very slow metabolism due to living in the Deep Cold North Atlantic Waters.

A Very Cool Fish, The Get Big too ...
Their gestation periods are also over a decade 🤯

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There’s a parasite that specifically targets the eyes of Greenland sharks causing them to go blind. You can sometimes see them when looking at pictures of the G sharks. I know it’s off topic but the more you know😆
I remember seeing somewhere once that not all Greenland sharks suffer from those copepods latching onto their eyes.

I wonder what makes the difference.

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Luck maybe? Who knows... maybe it's a preference from the copepods. Maybe it's a depth thing where ones that live deeper are less likely to to come across the copepods or maybe if they swim in more "shallow" waters.