wtf?

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay this is messed up.... My B.Smithi hasnt ate for about 5 months, and his abdomen is completely black, its been like thgat for like 2 weeks or more im growing impatient!!! i thought once the abdomen turned black it would only be a matter of days..... how long does it usually take after abdomen turns black to molt?

thanx for any replys
~AQ~

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hemay simply, Or she may be in Pre-molt. Just give her time and and keep her moist. And keep your patience. And in no time you will have a freshly molted spider on your hands. :)

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
welcome to the exciting world of Brachy's :}

just keep doing what youve been doing. a water bowl should be plenty fine for the humidity

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, i have a B. boehmei at just under 2 inches and it had a black butt for atleast 2 weeks so dont get too impatient...

Ron_K

Arachnopeon
I had 2 B. smithi and a B. emilia that had black butts for about 4-5 weeks before they molted. Just hang in there and it will eventually happen. :}

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My adult b. smithi has a very long pre-moult phase.

She'll stop eating months before (3 and 6 thus far) and will show her black butt for a good month if not more. I was impatient also, it's really hard to wait for your T to dawn a new shiny suit ;)

It pays off in the end though and since her butt's been black for 2 weeks now, it won't be that much longer. Just make sure she has her water dish filled at all times. Mine would get annoyed when I misted or dampened her substrate but always took a few drinks in the days prior to her molts.

Pixie

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was wondering the same question. Mine took about 2 to 3 weeks to molt after its abdomen turned black so i guess you will just have to be really patient.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It could be a couple of MONTHS!

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
MizM said:
AFTER the abdomen on a brachy turns black???? Anyday now, and be ready !
You get the oppurtunity to GENTLY pull the shed IF the spider is clear of it, while it is still moist and you can sex it on the spot. If not wait a few hours, and take it out, dont wait days till its crunchy and possibly tattered.
T

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
monantony said:
AFTER the abdomen on a brachy turns black???? Anyday now, and be ready !
You get the oppurtunity to GENTLY pull the shed IF the spider is clear of it, while it is still moist and you can sex it on the spot. If not wait a few hours, and take it out, dont wait days till its crunchy and possibly tattered.
T
Yup! AFTER! One of my g. roseas. 2 months, 3 weeks to be exact. And I though waiting for an egg sac was enough to drive me crazy!! {D

gusman1204

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
2day was the second time my b.smithi molted in my care, she was 2 1/4, went to 2 1/2, She(hopefully) was eatin like a PIG for about a month after her fangs were all good after the first molt in my care, the went into premolt, last week i found her with dark abdomenon (around thursday or friday) and just in a week.. today i found her on the back!(YUP JUST A WEEK AFTER SHE TURNED BLACK, TWICE LESS TIME THAN THE LAST MOLT!) i saw the moltin process partially but i had 2 leave when she was half way there:(, when i came home , she was done n i saw a HUGE difference, last time the molt gave her 1/4" , this time im sure she went 2 1/2 to about 3".... i didnt think b.smithi can make grow that quick, i was very impressed by the size. I took the molt out and tried to sex, and I THINK there is a little light line i can see where the flop is supposed to be :D Hopefully that's what i think it is, i wish i could post a pic but my digi is too cheap for that kind of shot, its more of a web cam. but yea, this molt made me very happy

KidMunti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It took five weeks for my 5"+ smithi before it shed its skin. But during that span of time urticating hair started to show on the sides of enclosure and in the water bowl. Chalmer

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
oh joy what i was hoping to hear ;P :rolleyes:
I'm SURE it will be much faster than that!! My rosea was just illustrating to me how unpredictable they can be... I've heard of two succesive molts in a couple of weeks! The little monsters LIVE to keep us guessing!! {D

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My adult female B.smithi can remain at the black abdomen, pre-molt stage for several weeks. Don't hold your breath.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MizM said:
Yup...going on week 6 for one of my B. smithi's...she's always lagged behind the other I got at the same sime, same age, etc. That's just the way some of them are!