Your First Tarantula...

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A.geniculata. I bought her last year in november i think. Grown so much and EATS like theres no tomorrow. I love her. I now have a little GBB (that also eats like hell) and a fussy but cute A.huriana

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pterinochilus said:
I bought my First Tarantula about 2,5 years ago. A Sub-Adult Brachypelma smithi/Emilia (the wrong mix I know). I started somewhat more than a year ago to collect more species, and now I'm addicted :} .
haha, de verkeerde mix? hoezo dat dan lijkt me een gave combinatie, ik zoek me suf naar een Brachypelma Emilia, zijn prachtige beesjes...

haha the wrong mix why is that? It seems like a cool combination to me. I'm looking my off for a B. Emilia, they are beautiful spiders...

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Everybody!

Well thanks everybody for your contributions to this thread it seems to me that many different people from all over the world, still have one thing in common, we all love spiders...and you can clearly see that some people especially like pokies, and another group is crazy about their terrestrial spiders...Or some like them all, lol, curious to what's next in my collection...

Thanks everybody

Greetz Joey

I'll teach you all this in 8 easy steps, the course of a lifetime you'll never forget - Alanis Morissette

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had other inverts first like pedes, tailless whipscorpions, whipscorpions and scorpions, but my first T was a P.irminia.

Mike

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, I have a couple of Pandinus Imperator, they are really hardy scorpions, they grow quite large and are very beautiful,

Greetz,
Joey
:)

Sasa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First B.smithi.
Then A.geroldi and after that I got addicted. :D

m@rvin

Arachnopeon
My first was a P.regalis, About 7" female.....Look, dont touch!!! :D

Still have her.... And 25 others ;)

mhill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Old thread...but I just had to add to it. My fascination with T's began when I was about 8, and grew to such an intensity that my Dad went out and got me a huge B. smithi from a LPS. We didnt know it at the time...but she was a gravid WC female. Soon after her arrival she produced a sack. My parents freaked OUT..."Oh my Lord we're going to be over run with thousands of tarantulas!" LOL. Of course, they managed to get the sac away from the female and destroyed it.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mackenzie's first was our MF G. rosea. She's still alive and kickin' (literally).

I started out with 5 T's when Mackenzie moved in with me: MM P. fasciata, H. lividum, H. maculata, B. albopilosum and the G. rosea.

As you can see I didn't have a whole lot to work with if I wanted to try to get close to these Ts and try to see if the hobby was something that interested me (which it totally didn't :rolleyes:). The G. rosea was Mackenzie's first so I didn't want it to be mine...plus she was kind of mean...and then the MM P. fasc freaked me out because he was bigger than any spider I had ever seen. The H. mac was a sling, and the only time I'd see it was if I turned the light on at 3am and the H. lividum also intimidated me.

That left Charades, the B. albo. He was the first T I fed, first I handled and first I saw molt. He's 7 months mature now. Figures my first had to be a male. To make me feel better though, our female B. albo is sitting on a nice big sac we're pulling on Sunday, so if it's successful then I'll keep 5, get a female and have a bit of Charades forever!

Cass

Last edited:

SpiderLady79

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. rosea from a pet store she was our first spider but she was for my 7 year old daughter (5 when she got her) she is the one who started it all we ended up with 3 more in 3 weeks lol

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first tarantulas (I bought 5 at once) were Psalmopoeus irminia. I read lots about them and knew I would really like them. Still absolutely in love with this genus. The webs are very neat looking when you give them plenty of anchorage. :D

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always loved spiders since I was a kid. (Honestly, wasn't the tarantula in Home Alone the most awesome thing ever?) However, I didn't really look into tarantulas until several years back. I literally ran a google search for "Largest tarantula" and came up with T. blondi. Then I saw the price for one and totally let the whole idea pass me by.

Eventually, I began looking into tarantulas again. Once more, I searched for "largest tarantula" but did some deeper searching this time around. I stumbled upon a site that said the L. parahybana was the second largest tarantula and was apparently easier to keep compared to the T blondi. I kept this info locked away and didn't really go anywhere with it.

Then one sunday when I was at the local reptile expo, I happened to pass by the Tarantula Canada table and took a look. Guess what I saw? Yup. L. parahybana.

It was around 1" and $25. Even though my girlfriend complained through the roof, threatened never to come over ever again, and that it would never be allowed in our future house, I bought it :}

When I first brought it home, I thought it was alright. Kinda cool but kinda just sat there as well. It didn't really eat for me right away but when it did, it would be somewhat interesting. As bad as it sounds, it became one of those pets that you kinda just leave to the side and only made sure it was fed so it wouldn't die. It wasn't something I placed a lot of focus on.

Then one day, it molted and almost doubled in size. Several weeks later, it molted again and gained another inch or so. It seemed like as he grew larger, so did my interest. I started reading up on tarantulas more and more. Then I began buying tarantulas more and more :p

First one tarantula. Now I have 25.

They are now my focus out of all my exotic animals. Who would've known?

Last edited:

Slappys_g1rl06

Arachnopeon
Way to go mhill! I'm glad you bumped this thread!

I got my first t, a G. pulchripes, about a year and a half ago... he was exactly the the size of a quarter, toe-to-toe. Oh I was so torn between him and an L. parahybana but I'm glad I picked him; I love him to death! His name is Chewy.

Just in March, I branched out and got a C. cyaneopubescens sling. He/she was slightly smaller than Chewy at the time. No names for this guy yet until I can identify its sex.

And my fiance bought himself a t as well, (which is now in my care while he's on deployment), a probable female B. albopilosum who is defensive as HECK. He named her Leia to go with Chewy's name.

And finally, I'm (if all goes well) going to receive a L. violaceopes and an A. metalica here soon!

My first t's!

Oh, and... with all due respect to whom it may concern, why is this thread in the Q&D forum?

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first T was a retardedly overpriced G rosea, the LPS saw me coming :rolleyes:

Two weeks later I had 5. So the story began....

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my first three were L. parahybana sling, B. vagans sling (both turned out male and my LP just hooked out 3 days ago, im waiting on my vagans to do the same) and a female H. mac. now i have 18 different species of T's 7 species of scorps and a true spider all totaling over 200 lol. (be it i had a few sacks hatch and what not) but they have spawned a new lease on life for me...i thought for sure i was just gonna be another mid 20's loser who is working at McDonalds...but now im going to start taking action to get into college for entomology and try my best to make something successful of my hobby/addiction lol.