Alipes multicostis 'African Flag Tail Centipede' info

boxofspiders

Arachnopeon
Just picked up a sub adult ~ adult Alipes multicostis. Has anyone got and experience with this species, especially looking for info on substrate moisture levels, humidity and temp. My only experience with centipedes is my young S dehanni 'Thai black flame leg' that I've had for 6 months ish. Saw this flag tail guy at an expo and couldn't resist. Any info is appreciated can't find much about these guys.

"Fun" story about my getting this dude. They had two available at this table at the expo, and when I asked to see it the guy opened the container they had one in and... it's not in there. He combed through the moss and substrate to no avail (good lord).

Ravn

Arachnopeon
I have experience with them yeah, both multicostis and grandidieri. They live along riverbanks in the wild, so I mix a lot of clay with their substrate. I have used a lot of different types of substrate but I have had most luck with premixed substrates that I add clay to my self, and mix it so that it can easily hold up any borrows they create. They seem to thrive with less ventilation than most Asian centipedes, so it’s important to add springtails and other microorganisms to keep the substrate from getting “dead” under humid, less ventilated conditions. Temps I would say is simple, room temps you can wear a t-shirt in. If you need a sweater it’s too cold.
Do you have any pics of them to show?

boxofspiders

Arachnopeon
I have experience with them yeah, both multicostis and grandidieri. They live along riverbanks in the wild, so I mix a lot of clay with their substrate. I have used a lot of different types of substrate but I have had most luck with premixed substrates that I add clay to my self, and mix it so that it can easily hold up any borrows they create. They seem to thrive with less ventilation than most Asian centipedes, so it’s important to add springtails and other microorganisms to keep the substrate from getting “dead” under humid, less ventilated conditions. Temps I would say is simple, room temps you can wear a t-shirt in. If you need a sweater it’s too cold.
Do you have any pics of them to show?

Attachments

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Just picked up a sub adult ~ adult Alipes multicostis. Has anyone got and experience with this species, especially looking for info on substrate moisture levels, humidity and temp. My only experience with centipedes is my young S dehanni 'Thai black flame leg' that I've had for 6 months ish. Saw this flag tail guy at an expo and couldn't resist. Any info is appreciated can't find much about these guys.

"Fun" story about my getting this dude. They had two available at this table at the expo, and when I asked to see it the guy opened the container they had one in and... it's not in there. He combed through the moss and substrate to no avail (good lord).
EEK! That is one scary story; I'll be heading to an expo soon and I hope that doesn't happen 😨
Horror aside, this seems like a very interesting species-- I believe I have seen it for sale a few times. I haven't owned a centipede before and would probably start with something like a Scolopendra polymorpha, but man these look cool.
I also have a pretty big fear of centipedes, so it will be nice to own one to help move past it haha. All the best to your new myriapod buddy!

SlowNail

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He's cool. I had a yellow leg E. Trig that looked just like that. He was an African species too.