Genus Lampropelma

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I did not find a thread for these so I figured I would start one. I know there is a debate over whether some species being sold in the trade should or should not fall under this genus, but I figured it would be an easy reference to look at these individuals sold under this genus in the trade.
Here is my 5.5" female Lampropelma nigerrium.
Mike

Attachments

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's an animal I had awhile back as "L. nigerrimum". Sorry the pics aren't good.

Penultimate male

Ultimate male

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very nice Eric, the pics are nice. Did you ever find a female for him to breed with, if so was it successful?

Randolph XX(),
Mine really likes to burrow, I will let others speak for their own experiences.
Mike

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice Eric, the pics are nice. Did you ever find a female for him to breed with, if so was it successful?
He was bred with a WC female that came in the same shipment... she died not too long after.

Just a side note... this specimen was BY FAR the nastiest spider I've ever kept.... hands down, no contest. He had a very deep and secure burrow, but would instantly rush up and out of the burrow at the slightest disturbance (even gently opening the enclosure)... and proceed to attack anything moving. No threat display, no warning, just biting!

MarknMiami

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Beautiful genus and one I wish was more available in the hobby

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
Just a side note... this specimen was BY FAR the nastiest spider I've ever kept.... hands down, no contest. He had a very deep and secure burrow, but would instantly rush up and out of the burrow at the slightest disturbance (even gently opening the enclosure)... and proceed to attack anything moving. No threat display, no warning, just biting!
I will completely agree with you Eric. She has a deep burrow and it takes almost nothing for her to attack. It makes it a lot of fun cleaning her tank.

Mike

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Skuromis,
Just removing excess food items, bolus and molts. I keep her in a 2 1/2 gallon tank mostly filled with substrate. She has made a burrow down the center and it wraps around most of the bottom of the tank terminating in a large cavern where she usually sits.
Mike

Skuromis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mike, I keep my earthtigers in high plastic boxes with approx. 15 cm - 20 cm substrate. A few isopods keep it clean, I have nothing to do, except feed the spider and water the container.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good idea, maybe I will put some in the tank.
Mike

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking Theraphosidae, but are you really sure that they belong to the genus Lampropelma ?

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Goliath said:
I know there is a debate over whether some species being sold in the trade should or should not fall under this genus, but I figured it would be an easy reference to look at these individuals sold under this genus in the trade.
T.Raab,
Thank you. Honestly I do not know if these definitely fall under the Genus Lampropelma or not, which is why I put the disclaimer in my original statement. Pictures of what is sold in the pet trade under the Genus Lampropelma. I really would be interested to see what these will eventually fall under or if they will stay in Lampropelma. If you have any information or insight into this I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mike

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great looking Theraphosidae, but are you really sure that they belong to the genus Lampropelma ?
Yeah, Mike made it clear from the start that he wasn't sure... just showing what was sold as such.

And this is exactly why I put the name of mine in quotation marks... as this was simply the name it was purchased as.

It was a goregeous animal, whatever it was. I'd love to have another.

Last edited:

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Mike,

i'm not very familiar with asian genera but RAVEN (1985) wrote that one of the difference (between Cyriopagopus and Lampropelma) are that Lampropelma possess long brush of hairs on the retrolateral palpal femur. So, maybe this helps you.

• RAVEN, R. J. (1985a). The spider infraorder Mygalomorphae (Araneae): Cladistics and systematics. Bull. Am. Mus. nat. Hist. 182: 1-180.

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Timo,

Thanks for the input, I will have to take a look next time I get her out of her burrow. I will see if I can find that article too.

Thanks,
Mike