Genus Lampropelma

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi Mike,
Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone has seen the type specimen. I don't know if the other member, Abraham's violaceopes was correctly placed in the first instance either.....these are a bit like the equivalent of the selenocosmiine genus Lyrognathus in that nobody in the hobby has a real one ;)

Steve
Hi Steve,
Exactly, we will wait and see.

Hi Lopez,

Just put HLdnBbof on the canisters, a lot shorter to write and just about as accurate as the name the species has now.:D

Thanks,
Mike

Poeci

Arachnopeon
without any words.... - or better "blue entertainment" proudly presents ;)

BEN-V

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hmmm, has anyone actually seen Simon's holotype specimen nigerrimum ?? It's not that I doubt the validity of the spiders in these threads, but I don't know, nothing we have in the hobby seems to me to even remotely sound like Simon's original Lampropelma?????
Hi Steve, as far as i remember, Simon' s holotype specimen nigerrimum comes from Indonesia.
I eared Richard Gallon thinks that genus Lampropelma closely looks like the Cyriopagopus genus and that Cyriopagopus sp. Singapore (also found in Malaysia) could be Lampropelma violaceopedes.

BEN

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BEN-V said:
Hi Steve, as far as i remember, Simon' s holotype specimen nigerrimum comes from Indonesia.
I eared Richard Gallon thinks that genus Lampropelma closely looks like the Cyriopagopus genus and that Cyriopagopus sp. Singapore (also found in Malaysia) could be Lampropelma violaceopedes.

BEN
Yes, there is a really interesting discution on the T-store about this subject.
In the thread Gallon is really sure that the pet trade "L. violaceopes" is Haplopelma robustum and Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" could be the real L. violaceopes.
Because there are only 2 species from Singapore of Ornithoctoninae (H. robustum and L. violaceopes)
And there might be some wrong specimens atatched to the the description of L. violaceopes.

According to my memorie ;)

I cant find the thread right now, but I have the link at home..

(btw L. violaceopedes is not a valid name because it is in plural, the right name should be L. violaceopes)

Cheers//Björn

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I think from memory Abraham deposited types from more then one location, there is some debate as to whether or not they are the same species. Even if the singablue turns out to be one of the L.violaceopes types, it will still need to be checked against Pocock's original member from the genus to confirm the placement.

Cheers,
Steve

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bearo said:
haha :liar: , I see your point..
Ok lets say, I have the only adult female in Sweden that I know of, and I know most of the spider people..
Didnt Pontus have a female that he later sold to Hernström? Is that the female you got?

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
Didnt Pontus have a female that he later sold to Hernström? Is that the female you got?
Yep.. I bought the female from Hernström, and his smaller one that he thought is male (I hav'nt checked yet)..

Hopfully this will become clear when Volker is done with his paper.. I can't wait :}

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, then you could have to only adult female atm.. there is other females in Sweden that will become adult soon. ;)

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
Ok, then you could have to only adult female atm.. there is other females in Sweden that will become adult soon. ;)
Yes Phalagorns, I guess his will molt soon.. but I doubt that it will be "adult" with its next molt..
At least its another Skåning, so I'm fine with it hehe
We are still just 5-6 in Sweden with this species as far as I know..

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes it wont be adult yet. But Christian also have a female that is much larger than Stefans...

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
Yes it wont be adult yet. But Christian also have a female that is much larger than Stefans...
um.. no its not, his female is smaller.. his female is a sibling to my small female and the last time I saw them together, his was smaller.. (1 molt ago)

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WOW! That Lampropelma is absolutely fantastic!!!

Chris

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont have one of those

i like this species..i have l. violaceopes 1.75" never really see it..loves to burrow....really slow grower as well..nice pics

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lopez said:
I've labelled mine as "Haplopelma Lampropelma doriae nigerrimum Borneo black orange fringe" ;)
Might not be a good idea... At the moment there are 2 variantas floating around, one lighter coloured spider with the orange fringe and one black variant where the fringe is almost absent. They may be variants of the same species or 2 different species, time will tell.
The "Orange fringed" ones were sold as Cyriopagopus sp. "borneo" by Vinmann, he also had the black ones labelled as H. doriae.
The spidershop also had them for sale, all were sold as L. nigerrimum even though there were both the black and the orange fringed variant among them.
Sören has also had some for sale, the black ones as H. doriae and the others as Lampropelma sp. "giant orange fringed".
There will certainly be lots of confusion about all this, and if they turn out to be different species there is an obvious risk of crossbreeding....

Last edited:

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have bought one specimen of L. sp. "Orange Fringed" and H. doriae of Sören. Really nice spiders! :)