Robc's 3-d backdrop tutorial (pic-by-pic)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My guide for making backdrops...anyone can do it, beginner or advanced. it really enhances the look of the enclosure, IMHO...rob

Tools Used:

Step 1:

Cut styrofoam to size. Styrofoam must be r5-r14 high-impact styrofoam--can be found at Home Depot or Lowes, ect.

Step 2:

Use wire brush drill bit attatchment to add texture to the styrofoam.

Step 3:

Angle top of backdrop to fit the top of cage

Step 4:

Add structure to the backdrop by cutting deeper into the styrofoam. Where sep 2 is just texture, step 4 is about creating more definate

"rock" formations

Step 5:

Prepare caulk gun. Cut the tip off as far down as possible.

Puncture the seal inside the caulk tube.

load the caulk gun

Step 6:

Spread a large amount of caulk on the styrofoam and spread evenly

Tip--use latex gloves, because the caulk is very hard to get off your hands.

Remember to spread caulk along the top and sides, but you don't need to worry about spreading it on the bottom.

Step 7:

Pour substrate over the styrofoam and press it down.

Don't forget to add substrate to the sides.

Tip/shake the styrofoam to remove excess substrate.

The mostly finished product:

Step 8:

Let styrofoam dry for at least 24 hours, although I suggest 36-48 hours to be sure.
After it is dry, shake/tip the backdrop again to remove more excess substrate. This makes the texture even more defined.

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dude that is pretty bad ass... and a lot of time, but well worth it!

NastyNate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good DIY can you do it with other substrates? im assuming yes. how much is the styrofoam?

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great tutorial Rob! Certainly messy though. ;) Does your drill ever get clogged up with all the styrofoam "dust"?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dude that is pretty bad ass... and a lot of time, but well worth it!
Besides baking the substrate...the whole backdrop is made in 15-20 min. But it adds a lot to the enclosure

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
good DIY can you do it with other substrates? im assuming yes. how much is the styrofoam?
The strofoam is very cheap 34sqft....for $16.50....you can use any substrate....but eco-seems to hold the best....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great tutorial Rob! Certainly messy though. ;) Does your drill ever get clogged up with all the styrofoam "dust"?
No....never will....I have done hundreds with one drill bit.

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good stuff man. I'm going to have to incorporate that into my display enclosures.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good stuff man. I'm going to have to incorporate that into my display enclosures.
It will make a huge difference....In the pics I couldn't get a good shot of the texture but it is very textured and looks like molded rocks or tree roots....the good thing about high impact strofoam is you can push limbs into it and it will hold in place.....you can also add moss ECT......rob

omni

Arachnobaron
Nice step-by step... Are you using foam insulation? I'm guessing it'd be sturdier to handle and install than the foam they make those cheap coolers out of. I have an old chewed up lid from one of those around here somewhere I thought about turning into a background.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice step-by step... Are you using foam insulation? I'm guessing it'd be sturdier to handle and install than the foam they make those cheap coolers out of. I have an old chewed up lid from one of those around here somewhere I thought about turning into a background.
it's high impact syrofoam...the foam the coolers are made out of is pressed balls of foam and the substrate won't stay adhered to the foam...it will pull off within a week or two...great idea though because it's probably the perfect size but unfortunately it won't last...the balls that are pressed can't support substrate...rob:)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here are pics of before and after the backdrop was installed.....keep in mind the substrate in the tank is very damp and doesn't match the backdrop....when it dries it will match perfectly. But I think it adds a lot to the enclosure and also gives the T some privacy.......rob

Plain glass (no backdrop)

Backdrop installed

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If anyone reading this post.....I forgot to add this step in.....(leave 1/8"-1/4" on both sides of backdrop to get past the lip on the tank & to let you have manovereability....rob

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow phenomenal Rob, as always. I don't have a drill, what about other ways of creating the surface, a wire brush?

In addition to adding the visual effect I imagine it also gives the T a better sense of protection, safety and coziness. I have a Rosea tank I am eager to try this out with and include stones. Also perfect for holding cork bark pieces for a communal H incei sac-mates tank I am going to have. Thanks so much.

-Sydney

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow phenomenal Rob, as always. I don't have a drill, what about other ways of creating the surface, a wire brush?

In addition to adding the visual effect I imagine it also gives the T a better sense of protection, safety and coziness. I have a Rosea tank I am eager to try this out with and include stones. Also perfect for holding cork bark pieces for a communal H incei sac-mates tank I am going to have. Thanks so much.

-Sydney
Use a dremmel tool of if you want (be very careful a tourch) a wire brush would probaly work.

Stick

Arachnopeon
Use a dremmel tool of if you want (be very careful a tourch) a wire brush would probaly work.
I am not absolutely sure what you mean by a torch, but a candle lighter works wonders and lessens "the mess". Excellent work, nonetheless.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Getting creative on this idea.

Ever consider a glueing a couple of pieces together (thickness) to give you more depth, perhaps incorporating a hide or cave into the backdrop?

I have a large hex. tank I may try this with.

This idea seems less messy and less permanent than the spray foam technique.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am not absolutely sure what you mean by a torch, but a candle lighter works wonders and lessens "the mess". Excellent work, nonetheless.
Candle lighter I would use for smaller job.....but I use torch's on me 6ft and over backdrops.....rob