Robc's 3-d backdrop tutorial (pic-by-pic)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Getting creative on this idea.

Ever consider a glueing a couple of pieces together (thickness) to give you more depth, perhaps incorporating a hide or cave into the backdrop?

I have a large hex. tank I may try this with.

This idea seems less messy and less permanent than the spray foam technique.
Don't glue Styrofoam together....get it thicker.....you can buy it in one piece up to 8" thick. Styrofoam is endless in posibilities.....I have made anything from a simple backdrop to in ground creek systems....it's fun to work with. The reason you shouldn't glue Styrofoam together is.....it will cause a air bubble in between the layers and rupture the seams or bow.....I wouldn't suggest doing this.....I have done it and had big problems and have known others who have to....rob:)

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
hey rob, thanks for this awesome tutorial, i am going to have to try this!
do you by chance have any pictures of what you have done with the thicker styrofoam? it just looks great, i assume it would also be a better climbing surface for arboreals.

Don't glue Styrofoam together....get it thicker.....you can buy it in one piece up to 8" thick. Styrofoam is endless in posibilities.....I have made anything from a simple backdrop to in ground creek systems....it's fun to work with. The reason you shouldn't glue Styrofoam together is.....it will cause a air bubble in between the layers and rupture the seams or bow.....I wouldn't suggest doing this.....I have done it and had big problems and have known others who have to....rob:)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey rob, thanks for this awesome tutorial, i am going to have to try this!
do you by chance have any pictures of what you have done with the thicker styrofoam? it just looks great, i assume it would also be a better climbing surface for arboreals.
I mainly only use the very thick styrofoam on zoo enclosures but you will love the next tutorial.....it is going to be a 9ft tall pokie enclosure....with multiple levels misting systems and 5" thick strofoam and will house 30-40 pokies it will be a show stopper.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks for tip from experience.
I know a lot about building enclosures and know how rewarding it is when you accomplish it....and I want others to do the same....if you ever have any question P.m me anytime....best luck....rob

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's the tank I'm currently working on.

Any suggestions for water dishes? .......for a more natural look.

I currently use small stainless steel dipping bowls, 3/4 full of small river stone, they are easy grab with long tweezers for cleaning. But not extremely natural looking.

Last edited:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's the tank I'm currently working on.

Any suggestions for water dishes? .......for a more natural look.

I currently use small stainless steel dipping bowls, 3/4 full of small river stone, they are easy grab with long tweezers for cleaning. But not extremely natural looking.
Im use zilaa....thy can be bought at petco-petsmart.....but I am thinking with my pokie tank/yours to we could get a large thick piece of styrofoam and mold/glue it to the backdrop halh way up the tank insert a small zilla water dish then cover the styrofoam with caulk and the water dish.....let dry and there you go .....you have a water dish that is part of your backdrop.....couldn,t get more natural. I have done this with lizard enclosures.

omni

Arachnobaron
Hey Robc, any chance you could make a few of these backgrounds for sale? Thinking a size for a standard 10gal tank would go over pretty well.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey Robc, any chance you could make a few of these backgrounds for sale? Thinking a size for a standard 10gal tank would go over pretty well.
I could easily...let me know how many you want....shipping would be very loww....they are light.....rob

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tried my hand at the tutorial for my gecko tank and the results were rather amazing.

I cut the styrofoam a bit short on the top but some moss corrected that issue. Plants in the tank are fake and the hide has a piece of wood shaped cork leaning up against the glass and littered with spaghnum moss.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I tried my hand at the tutorial for my gecko tank and the results were rather amazing.

I cut the styrofoam a bit short on the top but some moss corrected that issue. Plants in the tank are fake and the hide has a piece of wood shaped cork leaning up against the glass and littered with spaghnum moss.

You did agreat job......were the directions easy to follow? You can also patch any thing that gets damaged.......it realy added to your set-up. I cut my backdrops 2" short and put it at the top and it's 2" short at the bottom and it's covered with substrate.....rob

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The instructions were real easy to follow. I also forgot to mention that I did mine with a dremel tool and not a drill, but its essentially the same thing. The Silicone caulk is a bit then in areas (white showing) but I think that adds a bit more to the tank.

Aside from waiting for everything to dry it took maybe about 20ish minutes tops.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The instructions were real easy to follow. I also forgot to mention that I did mine with a dremel tool and not a drill, but its essentially the same thing. The Silicone caulk is a bit then in areas (white showing) but I think that adds a bit more to the tank.

Aside from waiting for everything to dry it took maybe about 20ish minutes tops.
Thanks for posting the results, thats awesome.....rob

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very cool tutorial Rob! It looks like a great idea and it really adds to the tank. Thanks for posting. (I keep thinking about the mess to clean up....lol)

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow that is such a great idea. is the chualking non toxic and how does it hold up when sprayed i want to do this to my tokay geckos enclosure

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool tutorial Rob! It looks like a great idea and it really adds to the tank. Thanks for posting. (I keep thinking about the mess to clean up....lol)
wow that is such a great idea. is the chualking non toxic and how does it hold up when sprayed i want to do this to my tokay geckos enclosure
Its not a spray its a liquid.....the caulk is 100% non-toxic in 24 hrs.....but is tack free in 30 min (look on the back for cure time and tack free time). I suggest using 2" foam on all backdrops, for added texture......rob

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Rob have you ever tried this with sand, or other subtrates besides peat and coco?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rob have you ever tried this with sand, or other subtrates besides peat and coco?
Sand holds even better.....the caulk is slightly flexiable and has give so the sand sticks very well.....it's great for the Bracky SP., scorpions, and reptile enclosures......but no matter what you should use the thicker foam.......rob