Brachypelma boehmei cyst *GRAPHIC*

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So my big B. boehmei girl gave me her third consecutive upright molt this morning, around 1AM. Her last molt revealed a cyst on her abdomen, and was documented/discussed a bit in this thread:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=155507

Here are pictures of the cyst, from the thread linked above:

In any case, this is what she looked like last night. Sorry about the pics that are blurry, etc. I really don't want to look through all of them again to pick out the best ones to post.

Warning: Graphic photos!

She was a solid 6 1/2".

I made the decision to put her in the freezer.

If anyone thinks they can benefit from dissecting her, let me know and we can discuss shipping her out.

--Joe

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for that loss man, she was quite a pretty girl :(.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess I should also note that it's most likely not what we would call a 'cyst' in humans/mammals/etc., but it's how I described it. If anyone can offer some input on what it may actually be, I'd most certainly appreciate that as well.

--Joe

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joe...
looks more like a hernia than a cyst... at least in the sense that it appears to have pushed through some tissue and ruptured through.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bummer! So sorry Big Joe! :(

Little Joe - CAK

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So sorry for your loss. That is terrible and I would have done the same in euthanizing her. Its something that she still made it out of the molt with a rupture like that.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually, she was stuck to the molt in several places underneath her cephalothorax. You can see it in a couple of the pictures; I had to cut the molt off of her.

Balam - I can understand the hernia theory; do you happen to know if hernias have been documented in invertebrates?

--Joe

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think you made the right choice. Was it displaying any strange behaviors before you euthanised it? Besides molting upright.

And I'm sorry. I've searched many different ways including trying 'boils and invertebrates' and other forms of skin deformities I know about but I cannot find anything.

I just wonder if its possible for a Tarantula to get a boil. I don't know anything about how they fight bacterial infections, or if they can develope ingrown hairs...

Anyway I hope you can figure it out. Once again my condolences.

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. My E. murinus recently died from a mystery growth. She lasted about a week after molting.

AllieCat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh my gosh! That is horrible, I'm so sorry. She was very pretty. I think you made the right decision to euthanize her. I hope someone can figure out what that is....it's very interesting and unusual.

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh my gosh! That is horrible, I'm so sorry. She was very pretty. I think you made the right decision to euthanize her. I hope someone can figure out what that is....it's very interesting and unusual.
I wonder how unusual it really is.

Both of those tarantulas had those growths in the same general area: on the posterier side of the abdomen. What kind of substrates where you guys using?

Hm. I have to say it seems like it would have to be an infection, possibly from internal injuries. At least in the OP's it seemed that way. Maybe a problem with organs?

I don't know. I'm in over my head, therefore I'll abstain from guessing.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss Joe. The worst part of that for me would be knowing something is wrong but not being able to do anything about it. :(:(

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Really sorry for your loss...

Talkenlate04 had something like that on one of his pokies didn't he (the one he did surgery on)? Maybe compare notes?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have read through that thread, Forrest. I didn't see where his ever made it to an external sore...it was all internal for that pokie.

I'm reading through a couple other threads as well, trying to figure it out. Although, it doesn't really matter too much to me at this point; I'm just irritated by her death.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very sorry for you loss. Those pictures were painful just to look though and I imagine it must have been hell to live through.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Condolences Joe, she was a very pretty girl. :( I completely understand euthanizing a T in that condition and it sucks you had to go through that.

Thank you for documenting it as well as you have, even though I am sure it was hard. I have done TONS of searching here for abdomen problems and I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like yours. :confused: