Brachypelma boehmei cyst *GRAPHIC*

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joe:
a hernia by definition appears when a portion of the tissue
which lines the abdominal cavity (peritoneum)
breaks through a weakened area of the
abdominal wall.

I am not familiar with arthropods and hernias as a personal experience, but was able to find that arthropods do have a true coelom and peritoneum, which would allow them, in theory, to develop a hernia. Much more learning to be done here...

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that was hard to look at but I want to learn as much about abnormalities just as much as anything else tarantula related. Looked like whatever it was ripped or popped while pulling out of the exoskeleton. :(

Now my belly button region feels strange for some reason.. ick.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also posted about this on ATS:

http://www.atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24782

Right now the general consensus seems to be it was an internal rupture from a possible fall. I can't remember the last time I had her out of her enclosure, but there is certainly the possibility she could have gone for a tumble at some point in the enclosure.

My apologies again for the pictures; I know they are difficult to look at. Thank you again for the condolences.

--Joe

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I also posted about this on ATS:

http://www.atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24782

Right now the general consensus seems to be it was an internal rupture from a possible fall. I can't remember the last time I had her out of her enclosure, but there is certainly the possibility she could have gone for a tumble at some point in the enclosure.

My apologies again for the pictures; I know they are difficult to look at. Thank you again for the condolences.

--Joe
I appreciate you posting the pics, I am sure they were hard for you as well to look at it....this was your pet :(....sorry again for your loss but thank you for posting these pics.....this is the kinda stuff we ALL can learn from.

Robc

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's really terrible... sorry. Do you know if the mass that is coming out of the spider was solid to the touch? Generally, unspecified tissue like a cyst, or tumor, will have some continuity to the structure. If were a rupture it I think it would be more loose.

I am not versed enough in the anatomy of spiders to know if it is entirely consistent with what one would expect.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't actually touch it, but I had to remove the molt from it. It appeard to be almost gelatinous in consistency, but that's only based on the way it interacted with the molt as I removed it.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a bummer man. That is really rough. Sorry to hear.

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wonder how unusual it really is.

Both of those tarantulas had those growths in the same general area: on the posterier side of the abdomen. What kind of substrates where you guys using?

Hm. I have to say it seems like it would have to be an infection, possibly from internal injuries. At least in the OP's it seemed that way. Maybe a problem with organs?

I don't know. I'm in over my head, therefore I'll abstain from guessing.
I was using spaghnum peat moss, and I might have had a little organic potting soil in there.
I'm pretty sure my T was WC, so my guess is that it already ready had what it did before I got her.

<3exoticpets

Arachnopeon
It is common in animals to have lipemic tumors - which is a mass of fatty tissue- not cancerous. I am not sure if this is possible in tarantulas- I have been trying to find supportive information, but there is not a lot on tarantula physiology. Food for thought. Also thought this was interesting- on the link look under tissue damage, it appears very similar to what your photos are displaying.
http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/585
I am really sorry you had to lose your T this way.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
If you can get her to me still frozen, I'd like to thin section the "growth" and see what the tissue is like.

I will put the pics up here and for anyone to see.

But I will default that privilege to anyone else who has done this before.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is really hard to look at, I'm sorry for the loss. She was beautiful, thats for sure. I suppose its because she hadn't "fluffed" out after her molt but she looked a lot smaller than her exuvium.

Not that I know anything but I would think it was from a fall as well. Kinda interesting that she had become an upright molter; a response to the developing hernia (or whatever it is) I wonder?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can get her to me still frozen, I'd like to thin section the "growth" and see what the tissue is like.

I will put the pics up here and for anyone to see.

But I will default that privilege to anyone else who has done this before.
I will get with you on sending her your way. Thanks for offering to take a look.

That is really hard to look at, I'm sorry for the loss. She was beautiful, thats for sure. I suppose its because she hadn't "fluffed" out after her molt but she looked a lot smaller than her exuvium.

Not that I know anything but I would think it was from a fall as well. Kinda interesting that she had become an upright molter; a response to the developing hernia (or whatever it is) I wonder?
Well, she has molted in my care three times (all upright), but the 'hernia' developed between her first and second molts. I have been digging around, looking for pictures from her first molt, but I just can't find them. I don't believe molting upright was a response to her injury, but I suppose I can't confirm it either way.

--Joe

Jilly1337

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry about your loss. While it is hard to look at, I appreciate you posting the pics.

I am leading toward the hernia theory which I guess is the same as having an internal rupture. I am not familiar enough with the internal anatomy to tell but I am curious to see if the part sticking out was a growth or an organ.