Brachypelma boehmei cyst *GRAPHIC*

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you can get her to me still frozen, I'd like to thin section the "growth" and see what the tissue is like.

I will put the pics up here and for anyone to see.

But I will default that privilege to anyone else who has done this before.
I'd like to see those sections!

I will get with you on sending her your way. Thanks for offering to take a look.

Well, she has molted in my care three times (all upright), but the 'hernia' developed between her first and second molts. I have been digging around, looking for pictures from her first molt, but I just can't find them. I don't believe molting upright was a response to her injury, but I suppose I can't confirm it either way.
Joe,

My hunch (and I just reported this on RobC's thread) is that this is a herniation around the exoskeleton. Once formed, either through a weakness, or a fall, the spider starts to form scar tissue around the area. Scar tissue will continue to weaken that area, because it's on the surface where each successive moult will just tear and extend the damage.

Eventually, the scar tissue is sufficient to not give out during a moult, and you end up with the tearing that you and RobC report.

Just a hunch, but one which I think supports all that we can see about it. My guess is that sectioning the left-over abdomen wall will reveal scar.

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerri1029
If you can get her to me still frozen, I'd like to thin section the "growth" and see what the tissue is like.

I will put the pics up here and for anyone to see.

But I will default that privilege to anyone else who has done this before.

I'd like to see those sections! x2

I would also like to see or hear more about the finding of this.

Just looking at the photo's breaks my heart, what a beautiful T.

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can anyone that has a t with this problem tell me what was in its diet? i kinda wonder if it was from something it ate? ive seen quite a few pics like these and thier certainly isnt alot known about disease and illness in invertabtates in general.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
can anyone that has a t with this problem tell me what was in its diet? i kinda wonder if it was from something it ate? ive seen quite a few pics like these and thier certainly isnt alot known about disease and illness in invertabtates in general.
I highly doubt it had anything with her diet.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you never know though. instead of a fall i wonder if overfeeding can split internal structures and cause scaring and eventually this.

im not saying that is how this has happened but look at Scott and Debby tarantulas ruptured abdomen...makes you wonder what over feeding can do?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't believe they bought it that size, but I think it grew that big after they bought it, without being bred in their care, and without molting.

I could be completely wrong though. I read the thread a couple weeks ago and I remember Scott saying there wasn't much of anything discernable in her abdomen, so he wasn't sure if there were eggs in there or not.

I've never experienced something like that so I can't give any opinion. I haven't seen the pictures, either.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well even so, i have also read that P. lugardi are easy to overfeed, even when i picked mine up(freebie) she was huge. looked WAY overfed to me.

since then she molted and is now a healthy size, there could be a connection with what size meals we tend to feed them in the hobby, i mean, in the wild i doubt they com across a dubia the size of themselves.

myself i try and make sure all my Ts are plump, just not over fed.

either way, im sorry for your loss Joe, she was a pretty gal!

just a shame there isnt anything we can do to save them.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had this happen to a T. blondi that I got from a pet shop. I went in and she was in a death curl from dehydration, so I explained to them that they were killing the spider, and that crickets weren't going to help. The next time I came back the guy essentially gave me the spider ($30 for a 8" blondi that was happily alive at the that point).

She got her energy back, and ate a few more roaches, and spent a lot of time wandering and trying to figure out how to get out of the aquarium I had her in. Funny thing was, though, her abdomen kept getting bigger and darker on one side, even though she wasn't eating (even when she would try to eat, she'd essentially tear the roach to pieces, and drop most of it). The other weird thing was that she would try to lay webbing, but nothing would come out.

One day her abdomen ruptured, and that was the end of her (I tried to patch it up... but there wasn't much to do).

I'm not accusing anyone here of being a bad T owner, but I always figured that what happened was a result of complications after nearly dying of dehydration...

I remember someone on here (I'm drawing a blank on who, but he used to post all the time) actually put their T (a pokie) under using Co2, and then lanced and mended the cyst. I wish I'd done that.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that was Talkenlate04(ryan) he did surgery on his pokie, but it died anyway.

It was an incredible effort though.:clap:

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
huh... I totally didn't follow that thread long enough to realize it died. That sucks. This whole time I was thinking it had made it.