Dyskinetic syndrome is killing my collection.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im having major problems with DS in my collecton. So far I have lost more than 5 Ts to it and now three more have it!!! I have no clue how they are getting it (and nor do any of us). Which is one thing I hate about it. I dont know what I could do to prevent it. I always seperate the ones that have it from the ones who dont. The ones with DS are always taken to a different room and are taken care of AFTER the healthy ones to prevent it from spreading that way. Im really close to just giving up and getting rid of all of my Ts because I dont want any of the others to catch it. I know I'm asking for a lot because very little is known about DS but I dont know what else I cant do. Any ideas?

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear this mate. I've never had to deal with this (thankfully), but you've been around long enough to know how many times this has been kicked around on these boards. Don't give up just yet my friend.

I'll get out the way now and hope someone with experience can offer some advice. Got my fingers crossed.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know there might not be too much advice considering that nobody knows what causes dyskinetic syndrome or how to cure it. But I dont know what else to do.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think a lot of people don't realize that Diskinetic syndrome isn't really a disease...it's just a symptom. It's like a headache for us, it could be because you're stressed out, or you're dehydrated, or you didn't get enough sleep. I think there's something else you need to be looking at. For instance, any sort of cleaning supplies you use, the water you give them, etc. There has to be a common denominator if you're losing this much of your collection and if they're all showing the same symptoms.

Cass

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So sorry to hear this. I wish I had some advice to give but, as you know, this thing has been hashed out about as far as it can go.

Maybe now is a good time to start doing random odd things to see if it makes any difference. Perhaps you could take one just beginning to show symptoms and get it in an ICU now, keep it warm and see if the hightened metabolism from the warmer temps help it work any possible pathogen or whatever through the system. Total shot in the dark...

Do you have dogs or cats in the house that get treated with anti-tick meds?
How warm/humid do you keep your T room?
Do you use sand in your substrate mix and if so where did it come from?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No sand in the substrate. Our dogs get frontline every now and again. Its normally about 75 degrees in the room but no incredibly humid.

Altair

Arachnopeon
Do you have any estimates on how much time passed between the T's that died and the ones who are showing signs of DKS?

I'm sorry for your loss :(

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Last summer I had three die. Then just a couple of months ago 3 more dies. And now my B.albopilosum and two of my P.pederseni have it.

Altair

Arachnopeon
Is your B. albopilosum next to your two P. penderseni?

And were these three T's next to the ones that died a few months ago?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think a lot of people don't realize that Diskinetic syndrome isn't really a disease...it's just a symptom. It's like a headache for us, it could be because you're stressed out, or you're dehydrated, or you didn't get enough sleep. I think there's something else you need to be looking at. For instance, any sort of cleaning supplies you use, the water you give them, etc. There has to be a common denominator if you're losing this much of your collection and if they're all showing the same symptoms.

Cass
+1

I'm suspicious of water supplies.

Altair

Arachnopeon
If it were the water, wouldn't his entire collection have DKS?

Unless his collection consists of those three T's, then ignore me:)

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could you possibly have petted your dog and then handled or dealt with your Ts without washing your hands with soap?

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would start using distilled store bought water or change the brand your using and change up who you usually buy your feeders from. I went to a lps one time to get feeders for one of my tarantulas that skipped the routine feeding day due to a impending molt and she showed symptoms of dks shortly after that feeding. I hope this helps you find out what the problem is.