1000 spiders in a suitcase

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did you mean 'served'?:)
It's about time. I was wondering if anyone would notice...:D

And, on-topic, I think Bill's post is dead on. Large-scale commercial collecting is a HUGE deal; makes me sick thinking about all the damage it's doing.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Head hurts, aneurysm coming on, eyes blurry, chest tight...I don't think I can read anymore about this case - it's a damnable act as far as I'm concerned and I think for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to avoid reading into it anymore. I want to hit myself in the head with a hammer thinking about it.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :? :? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:​

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know either Dr. Rogerio Bertani or Steve Nunn, so have no feelings one way or the other about how honest they are. But neither appears to have direct information about the case - both heard about it from other people. And only one has posted, although in the other's name.
"I have seen the official photos of these seized tarantulas and have spoken with the people who have the seized tarantulas and have helped with their identification." Bertani

He didn't only speak with the officials who seized the suitcases, he's been helping id these specimens first hand. That's working directly with these animals and experiencing first hand what happened.

I have the highest respect for Steve Nunn and Bertani and consider them to be as legit and honest sources like Mark Pennell. Steve Nunn for being the President of the Australian Tarantula Association and the great job he's done, and Rogerio Bertani, as the world reknown arachnologist and the reputation he holds for all the important taxonomic work he's published through the years.

I have no doubt that a LOT of spiders were involved - but nobody has posted a true count of the numbers, just rounded off figures. And there seems to be a discrepency in those numbers.
I think the authorities and Bertani are in the process of counting them one by one and cataloguing each species so we'll probably get to know the final numbers in a few weeks. Discrepancies in quantities............the only discrepancy i've noticed is the one Lee told Mark. Lee said the numbers had been much less than 1000. However, Dr. Bertani's figure of 900 + all the
eggsacs are consistant with the figure all the media and newspapers have reported, including the BBC so we'll have to wait and see who's recount was accurate and who is telling the truth.

Collecting a few specimens, legally or illegally, in order to start captive breeding projects does no real damage to the environment and in the end can take some of the pressure off the wild population if breeding is successful. But large scale commercial collecting, legal or otherwise, is very destructive.
Couldn't have said it better. Completely agree with you on this.

Head hurts, aneurysm coming on, eyes blurry, chest tight...I don't think I can read anymore about this case - it's a damnable act as far as I'm concerned and I think for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to avoid reading into it anymore. I want to hit myself in the head with a hammer thinking about it.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :? :? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:​
Stop clicking on the thread :p ;)

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And, on-topic, I think Bill's post is dead on. Large-scale commercial collecting is a HUGE deal; makes me sick thinking about all the damage it's doing.
Well said!! I agree.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A female tarantula lays hundreds and maybe thousands of eggs. She can do that over a period of many years. Taking an adult wild female isn't removing one tarantula, it's removing all the offspring that tarantula can produce for many years to come. Now multiply that by 900 or 1000. Real damage, yes. Especially when one considers all the changes taking place to their environments. The wild collecting in numbers just makes things a lot worse. I wish someone in Brazil would get some breeding going and legally export slings. That would eliminate the pet trade pressures to rape the environment. Just my opinion.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wish someone in Brazil would get some breeding going and legally export slings. That would eliminate the pet trade pressures to rape the environment. Just my opinion.
I believe it is illegal to keep tarantulas in brazil.....vicious circle, isn't it?

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe it is illegal to keep tarantulas in brazil.....vicious circle, isn't it?
Vicious indeed. There's a demand that can't be met by legal standards, so people do it by illegal standards.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A female tarantula lays hundreds and maybe thousands of eggs. She can do that over a period of many years. Taking an adult wild female isn't removing one tarantula, it's removing all the offspring that tarantula can produce for many years to come. Now multiply that by 900 or 1000. Real damage, yes. Especially when one considers all the changes taking place to their environments. The wild collecting in numbers just makes things a lot worse. I wish someone in Brazil would get some breeding going and legally export slings. That would eliminate the pet trade pressures to rape the environment. Just my opinion.
Well, of course take all those offspring and multiply by the proportion that would survive, and of course factor in the probability that the spider in question would have been killed by a wasp or something. And of course notice that now that the tarantula is gone there is more space and food for other tarantulas. Yes under optimal conditions a tarantula can have a lot of stinkin' offspring, but that doesn't mean taking a tarantula from the wild impacts the population by that factor. The impact on a population is roughly proportional to the fraction of the population that tarantula represents (somewhat less because less competition means more opportunity for the other tarantulas of that type in the area, somewhat more because now it's harder for tarantulas there to find mates).

On the other stuff, though, I agree. I think everyone here favors captive breeding as an alternative to wild catching. Of course, prices must remain high enough to make the breeding and long process of raising tarantulas worth it.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, of course take all those offspring and multiply by the proportion that would survive, and of course factor in the probability that the spider in question would have been killed by a wasp or something. And of course notice that now that the tarantula is gone there is more space and food for other tarantulas. Yes under optimal conditions a tarantula can have a lot of stinkin' offspring, but that doesn't mean taking a tarantula from the wild impacts the population by that factor. The impact on a population is roughly proportional to the fraction of the population that tarantula represents (somewhat less because less competition means more opportunity for the other tarantulas of that type in the area, somewhat more because now it's harder for tarantulas there to find mates).

On the other stuff, though, I agree. I think everyone here favors captive breeding as an alternative to wild catching. Of course, prices must remain high enough to make the breeding and long process of raising tarantulas worth it.
It's true that most offspring don't survive, but the competition is fierce. There is no guarantee that the offspring of another tarantula will fill the void of one taken. Something else might well take that spot in the ecosystem. I also doubt the t's were collected from a number of colonies. They very likely collected every large T they could find in one area. Also, they are removing T's that beat the odds and survived as well as likely reducing the gene pool for those remaining. Removing that many t's also affects everything that feeds on those t's. As far as captive breeding, I think the price for slings would stay higher if all the massive imports of adult t's were stopped. I agree small numbers should be exported to breeders, but that's about it. These big importers are hurting captive breeding more than helping.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The problem in Brazil is that everything can survive pretty much everywhere. So if someone moves a specie of T from Manaus to Rio and it gets loose, it can probably survive and displace some other specie. So I kind of understand why they are banning the keeping of T's. Similar problems are creeping up in Florida. I do think Brazil needs to be less fanatical and allow some Brazilian to start a business breeding and exporting under strict guidelines. That would help conservation efforts in the long run.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Vicious indeed. There's a demand that can't be met by legal standards, so people do it by illegal standards.
You are exactly right. If they would control the exports in a safe way they would lower the price and eliminate a lot of the smuggling becuase there wouldn't be any money in it.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love what you said barabootom.

If perhaps some breeders in Brazil caught, kept and bred tarantulas in their country, sold out the spiderlings to other countries and released the adults after the fact, maybe that could alleviate the WC problem? Just a tad? :?

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They need to lock this Lee up and through away the key he knew what he was doing, its just about profit and greed and a total disregard to the poor spiders probably planned and not the first time, obviously IATA guidelines were not followed and there for deemed illegal, i would hazard a guess most spiders were dead and what shocks me is the cardboard packaging and adhesive tape used to secure them the poor spiders trying to enlarge the air holes. This is a disgrace to the hobbie and i hope he gets a harsh deal out of this.

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like many people have said up to this point, we don't have all the facts in our possession. The problem, as I see it, is that we will NEVER have the facts.

People have vested interests, therefore what truth comes out will be a VERSION of the truth.

I have bought from Lee many times in the past, more than half of my collection has come from him and I am grateful that he has given me the chance to own some exciting species.

After seeing the few photos which have been released and reading about the numbers of spiders involved, it has completely put me off WC specimens in any shape or form.

I don't think I will be buying from thespidershop.co.uk again. Whether or not Lee had the necessary permits to collect these spiders, the sheer quantities collected are obscene and completely irresponsible. I have spent around £1500 with them this past year.

I recently bought a WC King baboon from TSS and it arrived in a terrible state, the abdomen being shrivelled and wrinkled beyond belief. As soon as I placed it in the enclosure, it was drinking for a good 15-20 minutes. So far this week, it has eaten three adult dubias, two locusts and half a dozen crickets. It is now displaying a more healthy appearance. Why would the suitcase spiders be in any better condition? Is this how my King Baboon was transported here? I feel incredibly guilty for buying it.

I honestly feel that all WC specimens should be boycotted. As a hobby with large numbers of enthusiasts we have a responsibility to keep our public image as spick and span as possible. This case only serves to tarnish it.

This is not a witch hunt, though I think episodes like this should serve as a wake-up call to all of us.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I completely understand your concern and your guilt. I agree that species that have been established in the hobby no longer need to be 'harvested' from the wild, but the species that are new to the hobby will have a very hard time being bred and established as CB if we don't collect some from the wild to get us started. And it's not like we are screened for our 'breeding capabilities' before a spider is sold to us, so I'm sure the larger percentage of them go to hobbyists who either don't try to breed or are unsuccessful.

Then take T. blondi, for example. People want to buy a big spider, and aren't willing to wait for it to grow up. On top of that, blondi are difficult to care for properly and to breed, so their CB presence is very minimal. I'd venture to say maybe 1% of all adult female blondi are CB.

I, for one, don't buy WC any more. In addition to the reasons outlined in this thread, you still don't know if you're getting a healthy spider or a sick spider, whether it has parasites or not, etc. Not worth the risk.

Steveyruss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like many people have said up to this point, we don't have all the facts in our possession. The problem, as I see it, is that we will NEVER have the facts.

People have vested interests, therefore what truth comes out will be a VERSION of the truth.

I have bought from Lee many times in the past, more than half of my collection has come from him and I am grateful that he has given me the chance to own some exciting species.

After seeing the few photos which have been released and reading about the numbers of spiders involved, it has completely put me off WC specimens in any shape or form.

I don't think I will be buying from thespidershop.co.uk again. Whether or not Lee had the necessary permits to collect these spiders, the sheer quantities collected are obscene and completely irresponsible. I have spent around £1500 with them this past year.

I recently bought a WC King baboon from TSS and it arrived in a terrible state, the abdomen being shrivelled and wrinkled beyond belief. As soon as I
placed it in the enclosure, it was drinking for a good 15-20 minutes. So far this week, it has eaten three adult dubias, two locusts and half a dozen crickets. It is now displaying a more healthy appearance. Why would the suitcase spiders be in any better condition? Is this how my King Baboon was transported here? I feel incredibly guilty for buying it.

I honestly feel that all WC specimens should be boycotted. As a hobby with large numbers of enthusiasts we have a responsibility to keep our public image as spick and span as possible. This case only serves to tarnish it.

This is not a witch hunt, though I think episodes like this should serve as a wake-up call to all of us.
This is true, there was a lot of misinformation initially and it wasn't even clear who was involved just by rumour. However what most people are pissed off about is the suitcase and it's apparent conditions. There seems some truth in this part. It's been verified by a credible source and is reinforced by a lot of respected newspapers. Just look at the suitcase picture being exported all over the internet, is this a fake?

I have my money on an independent academic like Dr. Rogerio Bertani to know when IATA guidelines have been broken rather than the account personally Lee told Mark with vague specifics. Of course Lee has every right to defend himself and I'm sure he will, good luck to him too because the Brazilians will not fight fairly in this, he has more important issues to fight for like his free will (and a massive fine) not what people think on an internet forum. It does not look good for him unfortunately.

I too like you avoid wild caughts, I always thought that Lee's slings were captive but now I'm not too sure if the ones I purchased a long time ago really were with the information that he's been buying eggsacks.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A female tarantula lays hundreds and maybe thousands of eggs. She can do that over a period of many years. Taking an adult wild female isn't removing one tarantula, it's removing all the offspring that tarantula can produce for many years to come...
No, it's removing one tarantula. In a stable population of any animal, each animal leaves behind one replacement. If it left behind thousands, there'd be an incredible population explosion. As gvfarns suggests, even that one adult is subject to being removed by any number of predators or parasites or natural causes. Most of the "bounties of nature" get eaten. That's why I don't oppose the removal of one or two individuals from nature if they can be put to good use. But when commercial collecting takes place, not only does a population get severely reduced, but quite often commercial collectors destroy habitat in the process of "harvesting" animals.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No, it's removing one tarantula. In a stable population of any animal, each animal leaves behind one replacement. If it left behind thousands, there'd be an incredible population explosion. As gvfarns suggests, even that one adult is subject to being removed by any number of predators or parasites or natural causes. Most of the "bounties of nature" get eaten. That's why I don't oppose the removal of one or two individuals from nature if they can be put to good use. But when commercial collecting takes place, not only does a population get severely reduced, but quite often commercial collectors destroy habitat in the process of "harvesting" animals.
I agree with you that taking a few isn't harmful, and I would even support small numbers of exports to breeders to keep bloodlines healthy. I also believe that if countries properly protected habitats, the risk to species from over collecting would be greatly reduced. I disagree with you though, that the removal of an adult female has zero, or negligible, impact on wild populations in areas where human impact is already being heavily felt (which is most of the world). As I stated earlier, there is no guarantee that another T will fill the void of one taken. Some other organism might fill that void. (Maybe a centipede, or a scorpion, or a mouse will fill the void where previously the T existed.) And if that happens, albeit theoretically, then the possible offspring from an adult female tarantula that has survived years of beating the odds and surviving, no longer have the possibility to exist. In my opinion, it would actually be better to remove an egg sac from the wild and sell the slings. That would have less impact on wild T populations than the removal of an adult female, because most slings aren't going to survive anyways and the female left in the wild could produce another sac in one year. I think the point you're making is what's the difference if a person catches a T or if a wasp kills a T. It's still one T. To me, the difference is that we are invaders to the ecosystem that has a very delicate balance. Wasps have been taking T's forever. We are fairly recent additions to the ecosystem in a lot of places, so when we remove a T, we are doing more damage because we are in addition to wasps, not in place of wasps.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love what you said barabootom.

If perhaps some breeders in Brazil caught, kept and bred tarantulas in their country, sold out the spiderlings to other countries and released the adults after the fact, maybe that could alleviate the WC problem? Just a tad? :?
I said this before, keeping Ts in Brazil is illegal.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I disagree with you though, that the removal of an adult female has zero, or negligible, impact on wild populations in areas where human impact is already being heavily felt (which is most of the world).
You are mixing up two separate issues here. Taking of a single animal, and human impact on environments. If the environment is being destroyed, the tarantula population is being destroyed along with it, whether you collect specimens or not.

As I stated earlier, there is no guarantee that another T will fill the void of one taken. Some other organism might fill that void.
I think your concept of a void existing is mistaken. An environment doesn't have a specific number of "voids" to fill. An environment provides situations that individual plants and animals can utilize. The carrying capacity of a region for any species is not a fixed number but a fluid, changing one. If you were to mark off a square mile of jungle and be able to count the number of a particular species of tarantula living there, that number would continuously fluctuate. Sometimes conditions would allow the population to increase, sometimes the population would be forced to decrease. Members of that population would be being removed through many natural processes, and they'd be replaced as well. The difference between replacement rates and removal rates would dictate whether the population survived, vanished or grew. The removal of any one animal realistically is not going to alter the population significantly.

If the population was so threatened that the removal of one animal severely impacted it, then that population was already crashing. A very basic rule of nature is that all living things die, and hence will be removed from the population. If collecting a single specimen crashes the population, then collecting only speeded up (perhaps very slightly) an inevitable process. It may help to remember that populations are thousands of years old, and fluctuations in one year due to small scale collecting are tiny blips on the time line. If females of a species are pumping out thousands of babies each year, then recovery will easily happen within one generation.

Mass collection is different, for reasons stated above, and I think we all pretty much agree with that.

Perhaps it would help if we looked to real examples instead of purely hypothetical ones. The only examples I can think of where removal of single (or limited numbers) of specimens from a population having an impact were when the population was already doing a nose dive. California condors and American bison come to mind - and the only hope for the condor is captive breeding, while the bison was rescued partly from captive herds. The bison was threatened not by killing of a few individual animals, but by mass hunting. The condor is up against a changing environment, and may never recover even if we supplement the wild population with many captive raised birds. It is not likely we will ever see wild tarantula populations being rescued with captive breeding programs, so protecting the environments they live in is their only hope. But captive populations could at least keep the species alive.

Last edited: