$975 for a SPIDER?!?

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
First, I won't publicly say what the most I have ever spent on a tarantula is. But I will say that I have spiders in my PERSONAL collection that I wouldn't sell for $975 or even more.

Prices on spiders - or anything else - really are meaningless. What's worth $975 to you may be worth $50 to me and vice versa. A price is only truly quanitifiable at a certain exact moment in time - when a transaction occurs. As Steve correctly pointed out if successfully bred the $975 could return thousands of dollars and is then - at that exact moment in time - well worth the $975 investment. But successful breeding is the exception, not the rule, so that same $975 price could be ridiculous - especially at the exact moment in time that the spider dies.

An extension of the "exact moment in time" concept is being in the "right place at the right time". For example, I know a popular member of these boards was able to purchase a female of the same size and species as one that is listed on the same price list for $925 for only $90! She saw it at a show with the molt still in the container that proved it female at the insanely low price that she paid. If I had seen the same spider first and it was unmarked as to price I may have inquired what the selling price was. If the seller would have said "what will you offer" I might have said $200. At that exact moment in time it would have been worth $200, not $90 and not $925.

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
I bet the spider would outlive the cat by 10 years. So which is REALLY the better value?

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
Most expensiv I've paid for is £85 for a sub-adult B Smithi. Most expensive I've seen is £200 for an Atrax Robustus (Sydney Funnel Web Spider) although I can't believe anybody wants to buy that in the UK!

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
$975!!! wow, i thought the P. metalica was the most expensive which is going for $450.

well i'm cheap, the most expensive i bought was for bunch of $30 slings. i rather buy nice cheap but plenty. :)

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Cmon Joe
$450 is for mere spiderling. John's great and all, but those are silly prices. I think he doesnt sell many (esp vs the hobby as a whole) at those prices. If he had an adult metallica, it would be $3000. Go figure. $350 for a wc blondi? You dont wanna know wholesale on those and you can even buy good sized wc's from regal for $75 retail..No, you'd have to be a newbie to pay those prices. I will sell my Aphono err brachypelma ruhnai female for $500 if someone is fool enough to buy it....But not my Klaasi, as I have a male close to adulthood. If you have a clutch of ruhanui babies, expect to get about $3-$5 wholesale as a group. I was qouted $3 ("maybe $5) for the versi babies right before they went bad. Sh** at that price I might as well goto to boards or give em to friends.....This hobby needs a good dose of reality, and less of obsession. Give things time and stop wanting the hot new spider and things will come down, this hobby is getting too gdam pricey.
T

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
People pay for what they want.. I am the perfect example:

$450.00 pool cue/ $300.00 car

I cry over spending $30.00 on sneakers but I dropped $600.00 on a pair of riding boots to walk through horse poo in.

My Goliath Pinkfoot was the most expensive at $65.00, but she wasnt my best deal, and I have gotten several spiders worth twice that at least for rediculously low prices, so I wont complain.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the most expensive? hmm probably $42 for my female h.lividium...

personally i couldn't see myself ever spending much over $70 at most for a spider, even if it was something i really wanted. slings are a much better deal than full grown spiders, you just have to learn to be patient.

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Again , its all in what you love the most. I happen to have a $1000 horse that I ride with a $2400 saddle.. people at these shops are theives by the way!!, but my cheap little horse is parked next to one that was purchased six months ago for an amount that I would have to save for the next 400 yrs to afford.. a nice healthy $130,000.
Would I spend a thousand on a t.. yup, but it would have to be the ONE that I am looking for, and nothing less. I cant imagine going to the barn and telling them that a spider cost as much as my horse, I would never live it down !!

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I can see we europeans are quite lucky, I haven't spent more than €50 (adult female L.Parahybana, hm, not cheap but I thought it was a fair deal). I bought 3 CB T.Blondis for €10 a piece (2 females and 1 male).

Last edited:

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WYSIWYG said:
Anyway, back to the topic - I was just browsing through one of my favorite
dealer sites to check for pix and prices, when I found that he was selling some
females in the $600 range. Up until now, the most I'd ever seen any spider
being advertised for was $450.

But then I saw it..... a spider priced at $975!!! My goodness!! I paid just
a tad more than that for my show cat (Persian) about 13 years ago and I
still have him and ordinary people think THAT was outrageous - but $975 for
a SPIDER!?!
(raises right right hand, sans pinky)

Guilty as charged.
I believe you are refering to our female B. ruhnaui.
http://www.e-spiderworld.com/gallery/pages/Brachypelma%20ruhnaui%20F.htm
Sometimes we get a female in, or in this case, grow one up and do not want to get rid of it, either due to sentimental reasons, or for breeding purposes. So we will price it to keep it in our collection...

Eric
www.e-spiderworld.com

Last edited:

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
zombieagogo said:
Sometimes we get a female in, or in this case, grow one up and do not want to get rid of it, either due to sentimental reasons, or for breeding purposes. So we will price it outrageously to keep it in our collection...

Eric
www.e-spiderworld.com
Here's a thought: NOT FOR SALE

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
$60. for a 1/4" B. klaasi sling, plus shipping. Of course, had to order other slings at the same time to soften the cost of shipping... hehehe

OTOH, I paid $100. for a group of five 10 gal. aquariums containing: 5" T. blondi, 3" A. avic, 2.5" B. smithi, 4" "Stripeknee", and a juvenile male G. rosea. Pet shop was going out of business and no one else on this island buys spiders, so they called me.

Had previously gotten (from the same place) two B. smithi females, 3.5" for $100. - believe they had been priced at $100. each, but after time passed, store owner accepted my offer of two-for-one pricing.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Here's a thought: NOT FOR SALE"

if you can get some sucker to pay for it then by all means go for it.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Value - Cats vs Spiders

TobusRex said:
I bet the spider would outlive the cat by 10 years. So which is REALLY the better value?
It depends on how you look at it. The cat was a male and I had intended to
Grand him (which I did) and stud him out (which I didn't do much, but some).

He did produce a $1500 Persian that outdid his father in the show ring, even scoring a National Win as 42nd Best Cat in the year he was being shown. He
went on to produce a nice quality female, though in the end, I ended up neutering both males and keeping them as household pets. The father is 14
years old now. The son will be 12 at the end of next month.

I think when you figure most spider breedings are NOT successful, you're
much less likely to get your money back on a $975 spider than you are on a
sucessfully getting kittens out of a cat.

I wouldn't sell cats for ANY amount of money! They're my kids! ;)

Wysi

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Mr. Rourke said:
Here's a thought: NOT FOR SALE
I was thinking of something like that, but I guess the main thing is...if you
don't really want to sell it, why even have it on the price list in the first
place? When I want to trade/sell spiders, I don't list the ones I want to keep
in my collection for ANY amount of money! ;)

Wysi