$975 for a SPIDER?!?

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
WYSIWYG said:
I was thinking of something like that, but I guess the main thing is...if you
don't really want to sell it, why even have it on the price list in the first
place? When I want to trade/sell spiders, I don't list the ones I want to keep
in my collection for ANY amount of money! ;)

Wysi
Exactly what I was thinking! But who's to say that's the correct way of looking at it? I have a whole bunch of stuff which I definitely want to keep (spiders, tools, kids). Maybe I should publish a pricelist though, and attach really really high prices to each of them. Whaddya think?? {D {D

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Mr. Rourke said:
Here's a thought: NOT FOR SALE
Excellent point, but it doesnt do anything in terms of exciting the masses for a mere $50 spiderling of same, does it?
BTW a frined picked up a 6" female immanis for $200, said it was posted recently somewhere. I missed that one. So that means at this point in time they are going for $200 ;)
T

( I have several of the spiders hoke lists at $400-$1000 and frankly probably couldnt bring myself to part with them even at his price.)

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
The most I've paid for any spider would end up being a tie between a 3" female T. plumipes and a 3" female T. latipes. Both cost me $250. I was told I was crazy for buying them, but at the time I could think of nothing I wanted more. I wouldn't sell them (or any of my Taps) for any price.

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
WYSIWYG said:
I wouldn't sell cats for ANY amount of money! They're my kids! ;)
Wysi
I wouldn't breed or buy 'em, either. The numbers of unwanted homeless cats (purebreds included) are staggering. But do agree, no price would be high enough for any of my animal shelter "unadoptable" ferals and crazies.

One reason I have spiders is to soothe the frustration of being unable to house additional cats. Must do something to quench my lust for life.

Pterinochilus

Arachnopeon
Hi !

I never like to pay much for my Tarantulas ( there are no standard prices ).
If they are to expensive I just don't buy them, thats the way to keep it cheap. My most Expensive tarantula was a €30,- Sub Adult Nhandu Colloratovillosum. Other spiders I bought at the last fair/convention were:

Stromatopelma Calceata - rather big spiderling €6,-
Eucratoscelus Pachypus - Sub-Adult €20,-
Haplopelma Albostriatum - Small Sub-Adult €10,-
Selenocosmia peerboomi - spiderlings €2,- each.
Citharischius Crawshayi - spiderlings €2,- each.
Psalmopoeus Cambridgei - spiderlings big €3,- each.
Pterinochilus Lugardi/Harpactira Tigrina - Sub-Adult €20,-
Pterinochilus Murinius RCF - Sub-Adult €10,-
Chilobrachys Huahini - Beautiful Sub-adult only €8,- :p
Ceratogyrus Bechuanicus - Big Juvenile €12,- ( A bit expensive for a C.Bechuanicus :cool: )
-- That's what I like about Europe ;P

Greets
Tom. :)

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most I ever paid for a T is 150.00 CDN. for a 9+ inch T blondi Female. :)
But I do want a P.Metallica...who knows... :?

Mick

Lea

Arachnopeon
Around 700 Finnish marks (about 120 euros) for my first spider, adult female B. smithi.

And comparing prices to petshops - it was cheap! They can ask even 300 euros for nonsexed, mediumsized Brachypelma. 100 euros is common for unsexed G. rosea.

Finland is such a periferia. Luckily we are part of EU, so ordering for example from France and Germany is easy. And extremely affordable. Internet rules!

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
monantony said:
Excellent point, but it doesnt do anything in terms of exciting the masses for a mere $50 spiderling of same, does it?
B
I see your point, Tony! I didn't think that one through far enough, from a purely capitalistic perspective! :eek:

senor ocho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's all relative anyway with regards to pricing. As much as the masses would love to tool around in Jaguars, Ferraris, and Bentleys, it's just not feasible. They're high for what they are-mean machines and luxury at a premium. So, the vast majority of us opt for the middle of the road Chevys, Fords, and Hondas more within our budgets. This parallels the perceived high costs for many Ts. Those who can afford them, hey God bless them all the way. For those of us who can't(hey, me too!), well, capitalism often breeds incredulism.
-chris
www.krazy8sinvertebrates.com

Channel Xero

Banned duplicate account
Ive seen a kid pay 1000 american dollars for a female poecilotheria metallica

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
was he local kid, a friend? did he dump soon thereafter for half?
inquiring partial minds want to know ;)
T

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sheri said:
Those are cdn funds, so take off about 30% translating into american currency, and the H. lividum, and T. blondi were both bought at a pet store I know now really over charges. The others are fairly standard pricing, but I order all of mine now from an 0n-line dealer.
I need to move to Canada :) I hate NY when it comes to T's. Only rosehairs and I found 1 store that has a pinktoe once in a while. I would have 3 simultaneous heart attacks if I walked into the petstore and saw a T blondi for sale. I'm still stuck doing the mail order thing.

One thing I can't figure is the high price of certain T's who have thousands of spiderlings and are "easy" to breed, or so they say. One example I can think of is L parahybana. I got mine (2.5-3") I think for $120 :? which seemed like a lot. I feel I got every pennies worth, as far as for how much I love the T and the fact it is female, but then after reading how fast they grow and how many offspring they have, something is definitely wrong.

Without naming the dealer, I can say that they do have the healthiest most active specimens I've seen and spend an inordinate amount of time answering questions for people so that can be factored in, but most dealers seem to charge about the same, unless a collector happens to sell off his own and then they're dirt cheap. Besides, these things aren't being raised on filet mignon and caviar, and the last time I checked 1,000 crickets cost about $15. So what's the deal here? or lack of one of one for that matter...

If there is high supply and high demand things should balance out.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Channel Xero said:
Ive seen a kid pay 1000 american dollars for a female poecilotheria metallica
hmmm...because I sold a 3" female for exactly that, $1000.....wish I had her back!

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm.. I have heard the story of the "kid" that paid a grand for the pokie..small world

Channel Xero

Banned duplicate account
Swifty said:
hmmm...because I sold a 3" female for exactly that, $1000.....wish I had her back!
Yes Swifty, me and 2 of my friends met you at the Burmingham Dixie show one time. We used to have silly lil spider parties in Nashville, and that kid would show up and insult us with offers. After the metallica, no ones heard from him since.

Channel Xero

Banned duplicate account
Ker said:
Hmm.. I have heard the story of the "kid" that paid a grand for the pokie..small world
Even smaller world,.. Ive heard of someone trying to by my auerostriata, because a "friend" had an aciently old male they were wanting to breed, but then decided to act ridiculous when the someone didnt want to buy it at an outrageously high price.