Avicularia sp. "Aurora" - Any adult photos please?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Haha I know.... This species is super flashy. One day I'll successfully breed every avicularia sp. :) We need more! Mos hobbyists only see avic avic and avic metallica. They have no clue how amazing this genus is!
I am a huge supporter of this mission. You let me know when you find some rare species for sale, and if I can swing it I'll buy some too. Then we both raise them up and together we'll have more males and females and can interchange specimens as needed to ensure lots of avic babies being produced for the hobby.

My NW wish list has eleven Avic species on it. No other family has garnered that much attention. The only one close is Pokies. I have seven pokie species on my list.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes I can and will I'd some Avics for you. :)

I'm soooooo happy miss moxie! I have a few more avics on my wishlist too. It's so hard to find these little buggers. I have some people looking as well. I just don't understand why there aren't more being bred. Some hobbyists do scare other hobbyists away from them and I get super pissed!

Avicularia are my favorite genus by far and pokies are in second. What pokies do you want? This is the stuff I'm talking about! More Avicularia!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yes I can and will I'd some Avics for you. :)

I'm soooooo happy miss moxie! I have a few more avics on my wishlist too. It's so hard to find these little buggers. I have some people looking as well. I just don't understand why there aren't more being bred. Some hobbyists do scare other hobbyists away from them and I get super pissed!

Avicularia are my favorite genus by far and pokies are in second. What pokies do you want? This is the stuff I'm talking about! More Avicularia!
Poecilotheria fasciata
Poecilotheria formosa
Poecilotheria metallica
Poecilotheria ornata
Poecilotheria regalis
Poecilotheria subfusca [highland]
Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli

Oops, realized rufilata isn't on there. Make that eight pokies! The formosa, tigrinawesseli and subfusca highland are at the top. I love the broad striping on the formosa/tigrinawesseli and the highland's dark coloration appeals to me.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
20141013_214758.jpg 20150213_190736.jpg 20141128_163805-1.jpg

Last one was a petstore rescue, first 2 were sold as a metallica. Probably not a metallica. They're clearly 2 very different blues, petstore is a very tealish green and the "metallica" is dark blue. Also very different amounts and tones of red setae. Same size spider. What the heck are they???? It's driving me crazy. Could the "metallica" be a hybrid?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First and third is Avicularia Avicularia. Second picture is Avicularia sp kwitara. That was easy! I was expecting something more challenging lol. Why does everyone guess hybrid? Hybrid breeding doesn't happen often in the wild!

Good choices Miss Moxie! My list is :
P rufilata
P metallica
P miranda
P smithi
P formosa
P highland
P ornata

Here's my mature Avic kwitara. The area where they find metallica they also find metallica sp. Green and kwitara, so kwitara gets sold as metallica. My kwitara were sold as metallica too, but to a trained eye you can easily see the difference.

Attachments

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
First and third is Avicularia Avicularia. Second picture is Avicularia sp kwitara. That was easy! I was expecting something more challenging lol.

P rufilata
P metallica
P miranda
P smithi
P formosa
P highland
P ornata
Smithi are really nice too! The shades of brown remind me of a snickers candy bar. Chocolate, caramel, peanuts-- oops. Maybe I'm just hungry.

I think I might be partial to arboreal, but since I've only worked with A. versicolor and A. purpurea I think it's too soon to tell. I really want a Lampropelma violaceopes and a Lampropelma nigerrimum too.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A local breeder produced a sac two years ago. I have some subadults now. Both are looking female to me. And now the pain to find a male.... I love eating snickers ice cream. And now I'm hungry thanks Miss Moxie lol.

Arboreals are just better than the rest lol. That's another great Genus of arboreals too. I love the Asian arboreals!

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
First and third is Avicularia Avicularia. Second picture is Avicularia sp kwitara. That was easy! I was expecting something more challenging lol. Why does everyone guess hybrid? Hybrid breeding doesn't happen often in the wild!

P rufilata
P metallica
P miranda
P smithi
P formosa
P highland
P ornata

Here's my mature Avic kwitara. The area where they find metallica they also find metallica sp. Green and kwitara, so kwitara gets sold as metallica. My kwitara were sold as metallica too, but to a trained eye you can easily see the difference.
The middle one is the same spider as the 1st. Just different angle to show the white on the setae. So are they both avic avic? Like are the WC greener than the CB?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're right I didn't look so clearly. They're all Avicularia avicularia. Avics do have those white hairs. Those aren't the snow capped hairs of the Avic metallica.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
A local breeder produced a sac two years ago. I have some subadults now. Both are looking female to me. And now the pain to find a male.... I love eating snickers ice cream. And now I'm hungry thanks Miss Moxie lol.

Arboreals are just better than the rest lol. That's another great Genus of arboreals too. I love the Asian arboreals!
Mmm, I really like the snicker ice cream bars though as I get older my poor teeth are more sensitive and biting into them and chewing is more pain than it's worth. However, they do make this reeses ice cream sandwiches... Mm.

Do you have any pictures of adult A. caesia? I can't seem to find a clearly labeled picture of those either.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. Kwitara vs. Avicularia avicularia

Two majors differences: green vs. blue
And Size: six and a half inches vs. Five inches

Depends on locality. The same species will look different due to their surroundings.

Attachments

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damn it! I want ice cream now lol. Wonder if the girl wil bring some to me at work....

What's an A cersia? (Totally misspelled that lol) I see now it's an old name for the braunshauseni.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
You're right I didn't look so clearly. They're all Avicularia avicularia. Avics do have those white hairs. Those aren't the snow capped hairs of the Avic metallica.
Ugh but they look so different. Does anything else live where they get avic avic from that I somehow ended up with a teal a avic and a dark blue one? It's just so strange, ya know? I know that the dsrk ine is clearly not metallica but that teal in the WC guy man. It's almost the exact same color as your kwitara. But I guess the WC a avic would look a little different. I'm ginna cry lol

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not the braunshauseni. Stupid Wikipedia said it was. Looks to be a newer sp. From Brazil. I can't speak Spanish
, so I couldn't read the rest of it.

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 10:44 PM ----------

Give your avicularia avicularia more time. Both of your specimens look to be at different stages. All Avicularia avicularia have teal on their carapace. You will be fine. They're the exact same species. :)

Even my Avicularia avicularia has green on it's carapace.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's not the braunshauseni. Stupid Wikipedia said it was. Looks to be a newer sp. From Brazil. I can't speak Spanish
Ah, new would explain why it's hard to find info on. The spiderling looks promising, like a more violet blue A. versi sling. But we all know Avic sling colors are usually more flash than their adult counterpart.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately there's a ton of tarantula's you can't find any info. even in the hobby now. People don't care about our fuzzy little friends. :/ looks kinda of like an Avic laeta. It just depends on what their surroundings like.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately there's a ton of tarantula's you can't find any info. even in the hobby now. People don't care about our fuzzy little friends. :/ looks kinda of like an Avic laeta. It just depends on what their surroundings like.
That is sad. =/ I'm hoping that when the T hobby really takes off here and becomes more commonplace, we'll get more people interested in studying and discovering them.

I know more about Miley Cyrus's personal life from the media than the science community knows about tarantulas. The world has skewed priorities, though I guess entertainment has always been in demand.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 10:44 PM ----------

Give your avicularia avicularia more time. Both of your specimens look to be at different stages. All Avicularia avicularia have teal on their carapace. You will be fine. They're the exact same species. :)

Even my Avicularia avicularia has green on it's carapace.
Ugh. I paid metallica price for an avic. I need a timeout for not doing my avic Id research. After about 5 months of trying to id these guys, I guess it's final. :cry::wall:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ugh. I paid metallica price for an avic. I need a timeout for not doing my avic Id research. After about 5 months of trying to id these guys, I guess it's final. :cry::wall:
Tsk tsk. You didn't do your homework?! Detention.