Beginner Poecilotheria

awiec

Arachnoprince
I prefer training myself for speed rather than threat poses, but I guess there has to be a combo - fast NW for speed and a feisty, slow OW terrestrial for aggression. But then again, I never had "bridge" species. I had owned only an LS and a B. vagans before just going and buying a P. regalis sling. These forums definitely helped me treat it with greater respect so I didnt have any problems.

LOL, I was 16 when I got my first Pokie last summer too. Quit picking on his age haha but the batkid joke was funny. You guys beat me to it :(
You're still a bit older than him and 15 year olds just don't make the best decisions. Do you think at 15 you could have handled a pokie or dis-obey a family wish to not have potent species? No probably not. Plus honestly I think he's doing himself a disservice, there are tons of cool species out there and by skipping to just pokies he is going to miss them.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Your parents need to read bite reports for Poecs before they let you have one. That's only fair to them.
I agree with this 147%. They have a right to know about an animal this venomous living in their home. They'd need to know as much as you do about the behavior of the spider, what to expect from a bite, etc. Because god forbid the thing gets out when you aren't home. You're gonna have one pissed off parent if they have to take off work for a week because you or they got tagged. I think you should do a little more reading and get a little more experience with fast NWs and some calmer OWs. Not every spider that's gonna bite will warn you. You still have a lot to learn and jumping into poecs even 3 months from now will be something youre going to regret. There's so many cool species that come before poecs that won't give you anxiety. Patience is a virtue.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
With young siblings, any potent is just "no noooooo, no..." regardless of experience or preparedness. If you have enough experience, and if you can keep them in a separate escape proof venom room closed by a key, where just you can enter maybe...

I know what I talking about. I lost 10 years from my life when my ex and some fiends (not even kids!) go to "pet" my hot snake collection, cause I kept the venom room key at home. One enclosure broken, no bite, snakes sold...

scott99

Arachnoknight
With young siblings, any potent is just "no noooooo, no..." regardless of experience or preparedness. If you have enough experience, and if you can keep them in a separate escape proof venom room closed by a key, where just you can enter maybe...

I know what I talking about. I lost 10 years from my life when my ex and some fiends (not even kids!) go to "pet" my hot snake collection, cause I kept the venom room key at home. One enclosure broken, no bite, snakes sold...
ok, than I won't get a pokie. If you guys have any other recommend for than just send me a PM.

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
You're still a bit older than him and 15 year olds just don't make the best decisions. Do you think at 15 you could have handled a pokie or dis-obey a family wish to not have potent species? No probably not. Plus honestly I think he's doing himself a disservice, there are tons of cool species out there and by skipping to just pokies he is going to miss them.
I got my first OBT when I was around 13-14 LOL I'm not disagreeing with you guys. I endorse responsible acquisitions just as much as you do. I won't go into the parenting part, because I don't want people around here to get the wrong idea. OP should get a few Psalms and then a slow OW to build up respect towards it and he should be good to go in a year or so.

scott99

Arachnoknight
I have a question, why do people handle their pokies'.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I have a question, why do people handle their pokie.
Ignorance, curiosity, intoxication, attempt to educate. There's a million reasons but they shouldn't be handled. I thought my p fascista was a calm girl until she wasnt (I was not handling her). They're too unpredictable to get comfortable around.

awiec

Arachnoprince
ok, than I won't get a pokie. If you guys have any other recommend for than just send me a PM.
Page 2 has recommendations: Pamphs, Phormics, Genics, Lassies, Avics, Taps etc etc. All are fun NW species that are not potent OW.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I think it was mentioned but to me if you got a genic then you basically have a nhandu with less nasty hairs :p
I clearly can't read then lol. I just like chromatus because of the colors. The genus in general doesn't interest me all the much. White carapaces really get me :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a question, why do people handle their pokie.

Show offs, thrill seekers, people who like to say: "Watch me do this!"

Irresponsible behavior may get tarantulas banned, and ruin the hobby for everyone. But those people don't care; they'll find a new shiny object to get their kicks from. It's all about their egos.

The Weed Man

Arachnopeon
Yeah man don't rush it like I did with my first Ts. I got a haplopelma lividium as my second T even though many have said how fast and aggressive they were but I didn't care. Even the pet store lady hesitated to sell it to me. Well anyway I brought it home (age 16) (yes I was young and ignorant) and when I tried to rehouse it she sprang to life and got out of the container she was in onto a desk I didn't know what to do because 1 I was terrified of it and 2 because I had no experience with such Ts so It took me awhile to think of how to get it in its new cage and finally did. I got lucky nothing happened to me or my family but doesn't mean my luck goes for all. Then 6 months later got a regalis again not experienced with the species but nothing happened except when I sold her I needed to get her in a container and it took me about an hour because I didn't want to get bit but again I had no experience with their speed and defensiveness but I knew I should of waited because funny thing like you I only had an irminia for 2 months or so before I got that regalis. At least keep the cambridgei for a year before making your move to poec species and show you dad youre responsible enough to own a Poec. Someone told me before on here that if you can physically handle and irminia that your ready for a Poec but don't be dumb and try it without being able to predict their behavior and movements you will eventually will be able to.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Yeah man don't rush it like I did with my first Ts. I got a haplopelma lividium as my second T even though many have said how fast and aggressive they were but I didn't care. Even the pet store lady hesitated to sell it to me. Well anyway I brought it home (age 16) (yes I was young and ignorant) and when I tried to rehouse it she sprang to life and got out of the container she was in onto a desk I didn't know what to do because 1 I was terrified of it and 2 because I had no experience with such Ts so It took me awhile to think of how to get it in its new cage and finally did. I got lucky nothing happened to me or my family but doesn't mean my luck goes for all. Then 6 months later got a regalis again not experienced with the species but nothing happened except when I sold her I needed to get her in a container and it took me about an hour because I didn't want to get bit but again I had no experience with their speed and defensiveness but I knew I should of waited because funny thing like you I only had an irminia for 2 months or so before I got that regalis. At least keep the cambridgei for a year before making your move to poec species and show you dad youre responsible enough to own a Poec. Someone told me before on here that if you can physically handle and irminia that your ready for a Poec but don't be dumb and try it without being able to predict their behavior and movements you will eventually will be able to.
I have owned psalmopoeus (mostly Irminia) successfully over a year before I felt comfortable with getting OWs, and I have to say P. Irminia especially, helped me a lot in getting prepped for an OW.. but they mean nothing experience wise if you only have owned them for a short while, when you successfully rehouse a feisty adult psalmo, when you successfully do feeding and maintenance, then you MAY be ready, like I said I own several (7) psalmos as of now of which 3 is slings.. so I have had to take care of 3 adult psalmos (rehouse, feeding, maintenance, the other psalmo I bought after I got my first OW, so doesn't count) before I felt comfortable with owning an OW.